Defender Source Forum banner

Transfer Case Whine

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  outfield 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 SW and when driving at highway speeds get some gear whine from the transfer case. The rig has 140k on it. The fluid was changed about two months ago when I purchased it.
Does this sound like a normal noise for a rig with this mileage?

thanks

#4 ·
My 95 whines around 45 mph. I bought it from a Land Rover dealership and asked the mechanic to tell me if it meant imminent danger. When the salesperson went to inquire about the results I stayed in tow, but remained around the corner as the mechanic gave his "expert" opinion, "Yeah, it whines, you know what that means" to the salesperson. That's when I came around the corner and said, "No, I don't. What does that mean?" He had a dumbfounded look on his face and muttered standard mechaninc bull crap when they really don't know what the cause is. Truth is: A. These vehicles have not been around for almost 10 years so dealerships don't see them that much. If you do service your Landy at a dealership, take a look around in the shop. Do any of them look like they've been around for 10 years? Maybe so, but not the majority. And B. Send a guy to Atlanta, or wherever they send their mechanics and all of the sudden they are certified Land Rover Mechanics. Doesn't neccessarily mean that they are the most qualified to do the work, just the most qualified to overcharge you for the work. Sorry if I sound a bit rude toward Land Rover dealerships.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I know its the T-case becuase it does not change when shifting gears. I serviced the tranny with Dextron and the transfer case and diffs with 90 wt about 2 month ago when I bought it, so all the fluids are good and topped off. I kinda thought it was just a Land Rover thing...

I sold a built CJ5 to buy the D-90 and haven't looked back yet. I enjoy the web site and look forward to reading more in the future.

#9 ·
Could also be something binding or rubbing in the parking brake drum.

-Hans

#10 ·
How much whining are we talking about here? I have own a couple different defenders and they have all whined even with rebuilt t-cases.
If it is a normal background whine... don;t worry about it. If it is louder than hell and you have metal in your t-case get worried.

#11 ·
Here is my experience with transfer case whine.

When I bought my 110 there was a very loud, low-medium pitch whine from the transfer case that kicked in at about 25 mph and progressively got louder with more speed. After quite a bit of troubleshooting by the LR dealer in Boise ID. the problem turned out to be a bad (very bad) rear (drive shaft) output bearing in the case. I replaced the transfer case with a rebuilt. Now with the new/rebuilt transfer case there is a whine with much lower volume level and higher pitch that kicks in at about 45>50 mph. The 110 gets serviced by two local (the 110 is now in Calif.) experienced mechanics (they have been working on LR's since the early 90's) and they tell me the current whine is normal from their experience with Defenders.

I hope this is of some help.

Rich Kurk

#13 ·
Once again thanks for the input guys. The whine sounds just like Rich descibed with his 110, so I won't worry about it, at least not until the wife starts to whine...

One other thing, the temp gauge reading is fine, it climbs some on hot days when pulling hills, but when i stop after a drive the bonnet and wings are so hot you can't touch them. Are the hot body parts due to the heat dissipation characteristics of an aluminum block?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.