Transfer case question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Wiley
David Brewer
1995 D90

Transfer case question

I have this vibration around 50mph. Mostly feel it in the steering wheel so I took off the front driveline and tried to take it for a spin. Truck won't go anywhere until I put it in diff lock. So in diff lock mode I still get the vibration and actually seems more pronounced.

I'm new to Defenders but I thought they were full time 4-wheel which I take it means I have a transfer case problem? What would cause it to loose the rear drive when its not in 'diff lock'? Occurred in both hi and low-no rear drive.

Oh, and any ideas on most possible source of vibration also? Thanks.

If it matters mine is '95 D90sw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

went through months of issues before I got a clue. Do you have a lift? If so, check the pinion angle. Rear driveshaft could be the problem. Is the stupid retaining screw still in the brake drum? Sometimes that wont allow the drum to turn squarely. Bolts tight on driveshaft? U-joints good? Is there a leak by that big drum?

More info on your truck needed.

Also, truck has to turn wheels at different speed to keep from blowing up the transfer case. They only turn at the same speed when it is locked. That is why you can only run it locked on a surface that can give, like gravel or off road.

Is it at all possible that you have a tire balance problem, or are you positive that it is driveline?
And I love you too
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

This could be several things... Could be that your tires are unbalanced, a wheel is bent or a tire is out of round. Also, check to make sure that the transfercase is full and check to make sure that your front control arms nuts are tight.

Welcome to the forum... Be careful, as Defenders are more addictive than crack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wiley
David Brewer
1995 D90

U-joints are good, on front at least. My right front tire separated on the freeway the other day. Pretty catastrophic failure (BF Goodrich's). I doubt it is related at all and it still vibrates, just thought I'd mention that.

No lift.

I understand the purpose of differential lock, but what is weird is that without a front driveline installed I can't go anywhere unless I'm in 'diff lock' mode on the transfer case shifter. In normal driving mode (stick on the right-tried HI and LO, I don't go anywhere. Its not driving the rear. IOW, after I put the driveline back on I'm always driving around with front wheel drive right now unless I put it in Diff Lock.

You guys sure are quick with replies around here. Appreciate the help.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:31 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

No problem. Thats the way the 4x4 works. Check the other stuff but Tire balance could certainly be the issue. Even if they were just replaced, a weight might have come off. Also, if the alignment got out of wack and the tires are fighting each other you can get vibes. Could be worn out front end parts causing that too. I have been through so many vibration problems with mine, I could probably tell you what is is in 5 minutes if I was in it. Try to be really descriptive about what you feel and speeds.
And I love you too
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Have you checked the rear u-joints also? The way the parking brake works, a bad u-joint can be hard to find on the rear unless you use the right procedure. Otherwise the shaft will have some tension on it, and that can hide a bad u-joint. (ask me how I know)

Chock the wheels, put the transfer case in neutral, and leave the parking brake off. Then get underneath and give the rear shaft a good shake to see if its loose.

Though since you said you mostly feel it in the wheel, I'd give the front tires a good lookover. Make sure there's no chunks missing, the pressure is good, there's no bubbles or anything, rims aren't bent, lug nuts are tight. Maybe rotate the tires, see if the vibration moves. When was the last time you had them balanced and an alignment done?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How many miles on your truck?
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:39 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley
I understand the purpose of differential lock, but what is weird is that without a front driveline installed I can't go anywhere unless I'm in 'diff lock' mode on the transfer case shifter. In normal driving mode (stick on the right-tried HI and LO, I don't go anywhere. Its not driving the rear. IOW, after I put the driveline back on I'm always driving around with front wheel drive right now unless I put it in Diff Lock.

You guys sure are quick with replies around here. Appreciate the help.
Without both drive shafts on the centre diff sends all the torque to the output flange with the least resistance - the flange with no prop shaft on. just the same as when you spin a wheel with an open diff.
You drive with pretty much 50/50 power front to rear under normal circumstances because there is more or less equal resistance at both drive flanges.

When you engage the diff lock it locks the diff and splits the power evenly front and rear even if there is no prop on, so you can drive with only one prop shaft on.
The centre diff is required for cornering as all the wheels travel slightly different distances - the outside front wheel traveling the furthest and the inside rear traveling the shortest distance, not by much but try putting the centre diff in and turning a sharp corner. The steering wheel will fight you and wheels will spin slightly. Oh and the centre diff will probably jam in the locked position so on reflection don't. If the centre diff does jam it can usually be freed by coming on and off the accelerator or reversing a short distance with the diff lock levet in the open diff position. The light will go out when the diff disengages

Points to note - don't engage the centre diff lock when wheels are spinning. the shock loads won't do anything good to the internals.
Spinning the centre diff - persisting when traction is lost and only one wheel is spinning will lead to centre diff failure - always engage the centre diff before getting hopelessly stuck.

You say the front UJs are good make sure the rears are good too, vibs have a strange way of starting in one place and feeling like they're coming from somewhere else.
Are the output bearings on the transfre box OK? Note there is always some radial play on the output shaft at the front even on a pretty fresh box - the bearing is a long way in from the end of the output shaft.

Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case