Transfer Case Overfill - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2005, 03:07 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Angry Transfer Case Overfill

While I was on the road a while a go I have the transfer case oil changed a Jiffy Lube. They overfilled the t-case and when it was drained (~1000 miles) it was approx 2.5 qt over filled. It turns out they filled from the top fill plug and didn't use the lower fill plug. Before figuring out the over fill issue both out put shafts and the seal to the tranny are both leaking a lot. I have been dealing with the jiffy lube people are they are not willingly taking responsibility.

Can an over filled t-case cause the seals to blow (I thought so)? I know the breathers should take some of the pressure but the over fill and the leak started at the same time. Any suggestions?

Thanks... and be wary of Jiffy Lube (i will never go there again)

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think the seals would blow, I don't even think they would leak because of the over fill. I have "over filled" before on leaky t-cases to get them home and had no problems. What fill hole did they use? I fill from behind the drumb break
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Land Rover put seals on the transfer case?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
D90user
steve

I fill from the one behind the drumb as well. I'm supposing they used the bolt at the top of the t-case. If you look all the way at the very top there is a bolt with a head (not a 1/2 in drive socket hole) I believe they used that one and filled it all the way up. I know a little over full will not do much but I think thy went way over... like 5 quarts. it was spewing out the breether. and after a lot of leaking it was still 2.5qt over.

You may be right... but the timing was right on. When they overfilled it... it started. Do you think the super excess overfill could have done it??

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:36 PM
easy
Dan Duncan
White '94 Disco 1

Registry
Yeah I think Jiffy Lube sucks, I dont think they know what theyre doing
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I don't see why you couldn't "blame" it on them. I mean, it heats up, expands, and if it doesn't get out the breather then it starts pushing on everything else. Kinda like what happened in the differential of my old truck...
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

I actually got mine changed at Jiffy Lube and they actually stripped the bottom plug and broke part of it off in the actual case. However, they bought the new parts at the Rover Dealer and replaced them. I was without my 90 for about a day, but besides that they fixed what they broke. I don't see how overfilling would cause this problem, but if you can get proof it did you might want to go higher up the chain to get some results.

Tommy
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah,

It can cause that. Happened to me at Goodyear auto store. It builds up pressure with thermal expansion, then the seals start to leak. Pull the plug and get it back to normal levels and it should stop leaking, or at least slow down to a normal Rover leak level. As to if they will pay for it, no, and you can't make them. sorry.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Fluid changes are so easy, why Jiffy Lube? Do it yourself, Checker, Kragen, Autozone, all of those places will take your used oil for free or a small fee. If you do it yourself, you know it was done right. There are 100's of D-90 guys on this forum that would be happy to answer any question or drive over for a beer or two and give you moral support.
Just say no to Jiffy Lube!
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:56 PM
D90user
steve

Wink

Thanks for all the responses... I think we can all agree Jiffy lube sucks. I always try to change my own fluids but when I'm on the road I will never go to a jiffy lube again.

If it did cause the new leaks is up for debate.... but I sure as hell am going to try to get them to pay for the new seals because they should check their work.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think I read that some people had purposely over filled thier t-cases but not by much. I would try to get them to pay for it. if they fuck it up they are responsible
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:05 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I've been waiting for about a year for this one...

Hey... I know for a FACT that MICHAEL GREEN from West Coast British in fact advises Defender owners to OVERFILL their transfer cases. I don't know exactly how much and I'm NOT saying this is the CORRECT way to do it, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I will look for links where he said it... It may be on his website or LRX.com but may be on the D90 Yahoo Group which I broke out of long ago...

Flame away... PLEASE...

Nicholas Orros

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Hey you can't pick on the poor slob making min wage at the Mcd's of oil change places. Those guys are probly experts at Exploder's or Toyota's or any other car, they see hundreds. You can't be an expert on every vehicle esp with the talent that a jiffy lube has to choose from. I don't use them but they do serve a good. Lets face it you went there! Did you give the guy instuctions! [as he has never seen this kinda car before] I have seen dealerships screw things up in a bad way.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Let me guess, did they dent in the fender tops, too, while leaning on them? It's not just Jiffy lube, most places have never seen a Defender, including the dealer service crew.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, I go to this place called 'TOMMY T's' which does AMSOIL oil changes, only because I don't have the facilities anymore to do my oil changes but I do everything else.
I went in last month JUST to get my oil changed... and I was about to tell the guy that oil will come out EVERYWHERE if he doesn't put something in front of the drain hole and he gave me that "I'm an oil change stud" look so I shut up quick... Stood right in front of the truck while he, my right front wheel and their floor got covered in black synthetic oil... Laughed my ass off, and he knew he was my bitch at that point... It was literally too funny. The owner there got a kick out of it too.

On 'these' type of 'quick lube' place.... It's funny because everytime I go in there, which is maybe twice a year, I tell them 'DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE, JUST DO THE OIL & OIL FILTER'... I repeat it two or three times... and 3 out of the 4 times I've been in there, they open up the diff's, then I say something, or they go to 'squirt' grease in the joints where I put AMSOIL synthetic racing grease in so I don't want that 'other' stuff in there.

I literally have to babysit the truck.

Just my .02 cents.

OH, and this is also a BUMP... Did anyone see my last post about Michael Green's advice on how to OVERFILL the transfer case ??? I would think someone would pounce on this !!!

N

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
I literally have to babysit the truck.

OH, and this is also a BUMP... Did anyone see my last post about Michael Green's advice on how to OVERFILL the transfer case ??? I would think someone would pounce on this !!!
N
I took my truck to jiffy lube just before a long road trip. I ran out of time to do it myself (besides you've all read the oil change funny right?). But I absolutely agree with babysitting! I stood there and watched everything they did. This particular crew did have half a clue and left everything else alone.

As for MG - yes, I've seen his advocating overfilling whatever it was. However there is a BIG difference between overfilling by a pint and filling it *totally* full.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Scott go to Speedy Lube, I have trained them how to fill everything I don't change my oil in the winter, too much of a PITA in the snow.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Scott go to Speedy Lube, I have trained them how to fill everything I don't change my oil in the winter, too much of a PITA in the snow.
Good to know. I'm due for an oil change - but now that the weather is nice I'll prolly do it here myself.

What do you all use for a filter? I've sworn off FRAM, but what is good?
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think Mobile One oil filters
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:51 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Scott,

Yeah, I guess you're right about it being 'totally' full... I can't see that being wise... But do you think a 'pint' or so over is ok ? I actually did it last year and didn't notice anything bad happen, it actually did shift better BUT I've got a small transfer seal leak (which is the 'next' job) so it didn't last long...lol.

Oh and as far as the babysitting goes... The worst time I had was when I got an alignment at "Sun Tire" and the dude who pulled it 'up' on the 'alignment machine' told me "... if it's a stick, I can drive it ..." and gave me that 'I'm the master' look... well.. I believed him... Then I stood there as he grinded the piss out of my clutch... I nearly ripped him out of the truck. From then on, I drive it up on whatever lift, unless it's like the owner or someone and even then ... I TRUST NO ONE.

N

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case