Transfer case output nut size? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Question Transfer case output nut size?

I had the cut the bolts holding my driveshaft to the front output flange of the transfer case last night so I could replace a u-joint. Those suckers were in there hard. I'd almost say that u-joint has never been replaced. What is the size of the nut holding that flange in place? It's bigger than an inch, which is the biggest socket I've got. Looks close to 1 1/2" maybe. My L230 rebuild manual doesn't say.
Also, if I pull that will I be draining transfer case oil all over my face as I suspect? If so, I think I'll cut the rest of the bolts out and install the new ones backwards to avoid that. It's a shitty way to mount them anyways as you're forced to remove that flange to replace the bolts in their current config.

Do you think the u-joint cups in my pic could have been the source of my drivetrain rattle? Normally I'll replace a u-joint with the driveshaft on the truck. In this case I had to pull it because those cups had expanded and wedged themselves in the yokes. I needed to bang on them like a crack monkey to get them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01413.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2976  
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tonly those ain't bad at all, I once pulled the shaft off and had no cups. Lets see, I belive it's 30 mm or 1 and 1/16th, Jimmy just did his. I could not find those bolts localy, so I ended up ordering them from RDS or DAP or North East Brit. The case will drain some unless you drive up on some ramps. I don't know that you can install them backwards and still have the clearance around everything that you need.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Tony those ain't bad at all, I once pulled the shaft off and had no cups. Lets see, I belive it's 30 mm or 1 and 1/16th, Jimmy just did his. I could not find those bolts localy, so I ended up ordering them from RDS or DAP or North East Brit. The case will drain some unless you drive up on some ramps. I don't know that you can install them backwards and still have the clearance around everything that you need.
It's gotta be bigger than that. It's bigger than the outer diameter of my 1" socket. I guess I need whatever size that socket is and a micrometer so I can figure these things out on my own in the future.

As for clearance, I checked that. It looked to work just fine but I'll check it again tonite to make absolutely sure. I hope I can find those bolts/nuts locally as I'm supposed to go camping this weekend and the telescope won't fit in the 'Stang. Here's a reason why I need that 101.
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

My bad, I ment 30mm or 1 and 3/16. And that baby is on good at 120ftlbs. I don't think you will find the bolts, when I went looking everything I found that had the right size shaft had a head that was way too big, maybe something at an autoparts store or at a driveshaft shop.
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:14 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

wasn't it 33mm mike
i will look tonight
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It's 30mm!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case