Transfer Case Noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Transfer Case Noise

Couple weeks ago, heard a squeeling noise with low RPM's (1k to a.8k) in 1st and 2nd. No noise coasting or in higher gears. That lead me to the transmission/transfer case, and upon checking the level in the t-case, it was low, about 1 quart. Drain, refill, no more noise, dodged a bullet.

Today, while driving over a nasty, rocky pass, the noise comes back. Only going downhill, in first or second, super low RPM's. This time, only with the TC in low. No noises in high gear.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
when you drained your transfer case did you notice an excessive amount of metal on the drain plug? I say keep on driving it, how many miles are on the truck?
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

u joint?
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
revorder
JP McInerny

Who the hell cares about your TC noise? How come your not down here at the ralley? The Ralley has been the best run event to date by Sullihul. Andrew the trails are beyond description. Today we ran Die Trying. It took 7 hrs to go approx. one mile. Oop -sorry, enough about us. Have you checked power steering fluid?, water pump? does it whine or squeel?

JP
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

In order of questions:

Not an excessive amount of fuzzies, in fact I was expecting more. It now has 141,000 miles.
I'm going to check the u-joints this morning.
JP, sounds like you're having a great time. I had to meet with a client today in Leadville, and poor poor pitiful me had to drive over Hagerman Pass to get there. Not bad, I say.

The reason I say Tcase, is because it only does it at very slow speeds in 1st and 2nd in low. If I'm rolling along out of gear, no noise.
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

One thing about T-case noises and drive train noises is they will become easier to diagnose over time. Trick is timing it so you always get home before the cause becomes obvious.
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

That's funny, and why I asked. I was out yesterday with no cell coverage and 40 miles of rough terrain. I kept thinking, "just make it home".

Just checking stuff out, there seems to be no play in the ujoints, but the front shaft has about a 1/4 turn of play in it, and the rear has none. I looked through the other threads, and I'm going to check the brake drum, as it could make a low speed grinding noise when rotating at exactly the right speed. Who knows for sure, until it blows up.
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Umm, the rear has plenty of play as well when the transmission brake is OFF.

I want to check the t-brake, but all but one of the nuts holding the propshaft onto that end just spin. Are those bolts welded to the back of the drum, or what am I missing?
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
Umm, the rear has plenty of play as well when the transmission brake is OFF.

I want to check the t-brake, but all but one of the nuts holding the propshaft onto that end just spin. Are those bolts welded to the back of the drum, or what am I missing?
IIRC, the bolts are square headed and the flange has flats that prevent it from turning. If they spin. you'll have to break the nuts to get it apart.
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Update. U joints are fine, but the noise is becoming more consistent, but only in first gear very slow. I'm wondering if it's the output shaft bearings on the t-case starting to go, and if so, would I start seeing a lot more shavings on the drain plug?
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Turns out it was the transmission brake, out of adjustment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case