Transfer Case "Clatter" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Transfer Case "Clatter"

Just installed a newly re-geared t-case. Swapped from 1.2 to 1.4 gears. I now have a "clatter" when I let off the accelerator pedal. I assume this might be the difference between my old gears meshing with the new 1.4s. I did adjust the end lash on the intermediate gear per the manual.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Sounds like the lash is not correct. Too much slop. The "clatter", or any noise, is not normal.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree, it's not normal. How is the lash adjusted in the LT230? The manual makes no mention of adjusting any lash, only the end lash in the intermediate gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
are the taper roller bearings good? There's a crushable distance piece between them. If it's too crushed then there's clatter and it's not good for long and trouble free motoring
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
New bearings, races, and crush sleeve, torqued to specs.

Semper Fi!
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I assume this might be the difference between my old gears meshing with the new 1.4s.
I had the same problem when I switched input gears from the early solid one to a latter cross drilled version. I wound up having to swap all the gears. I don't know if they develop a ware pattern with each other which causes this but it sounds like running a combination of new gears w/ old might be your problem. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sad thing is that I have a complete set of matching gears and only replaced the high range and intermediate gears!

Semper Fi!
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Sad thing is that I have a complete set of matching gears and only replaced the high range and intermediate gears!
I think the crush sleeve is a one time thing too
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
I think the crush sleeve is a one time thing too
It is, but at least it's cheap!

Semper Fi!
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As a follow up for anyone that had this issue, after tearing down the tcase again it turned out to be the intermediate gear bearings and crush sleeve. The shaft nut was not torqued to specs. According to the rebuild manual the nut should be torqued so that no end play is felt, however, that leads to the issue noted above. Per several rebuild articles in LRM and LRO, the nut should be torqued until slight rolling tension is felt while turning the intermediate gear. I did the second method at that corrected everything.

Semper Fi!
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Thumbs up

Jonathan,

thanks for the follow-up. A lot of times folks find out the cause of their issue and fix it, then they don't post the solution/fix. I appreciate your taking the time to help someone else in the future. You're a good egg, my man.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
As a follow up for anyone that had this issue, after tearing down the tcase again it turned out to be the intermediate gear bearings and crush sleeve. The shaft nut was not torqued to specs. According to the rebuild manual the nut should be torqued so that no end play is felt, however, that leads to the issue noted above. Per several rebuild articles in LRM and LRO, the nut should be torqued until slight rolling tension is felt while turning the intermediate gear. I did the second method at that corrected everything.
Jonathan- does rolling tension mean resistance to turning the gear ? Kind of like a wheel bearing, tighten till it starts to bind, then loosten a .25. In this case no letting off due to the crush sleeve. Could you email me that article ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The article just said to turn until slight tension is felt and was careful to go real slow. Based on my recent ordeal, I would say backing off a 1/4 turn would be bad. You can't feel the same binding as a wheel bearing on the smaller taper bearings either.

I'll email you those articles.

Semper Fi!
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got them thanks.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
easy
Dan Duncan
White '94 Disco 1

Registry
Jon,
Could you email me those articles as well? I think I might be having the same problem.
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Jon,
Could you email me those articles as well? I think I might be having the same problem.
Sure, PM or email your address

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case