transfer case and electrical short - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

transfer case and electrical short

97 NAS 90 with auto box. Fuse #17 (engine immobiliser, brake lights, turn signals) started blowing once in a while and got to a point where it blew as soon as I turned on the key. Ended up melting a gray wire with a black stripe I traced to the transfer case. I think it is connecter C683 going into the gearbox interlock unit?? When this is disconnected the fuse does not blow. It is not the low range light switch. Ideas on what failed? Is this a simple remove and replace with a new interlock unit (if that's the problem)? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Never had any trouble with my inter-lock solenoids, a '97 with 133K miles.

The shift lock solenoid helps with theft protection and keeping children shifting it out of park and possibly rolling away. Don't know if the shift interlock stays locked with the engine off.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

removing transfer box interlock

Thanks for the info. If the truck will run fine w/o the interlock it will not be replaced.

Is removing the transfer box interlock a job that can be done w/o removing the box? Never done this, looks like one needs to remove a plate that has a cylinder-like part sticking out held down by 4 bolts. Any tricks/tips out there? Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, transfer case