transfer case - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
redrover

transfer case

I am in process of removing a transfer case on a 97 sw. I have removed everything the manual requires. the transfer case has three bolts and two threaded rods with nuts that hold it to transmission extension. Problem is the transfer case wont separate from transmission. Any one gone through same process?
Thanks jp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2004, 06:14 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

JP-

If you are positive you have removed all bolts connecting the two you may need to pry a bit. There are one or two pins/studs ~1/2 to 3/4" long that are like a press fit. I separated mine with the trans and x-fer out of the vehicle and we had to wiggle them apart until the studs came free. I think that may be your holdup as long as you've removed linkage and all fasteners. Good luck, let us know how the underdrive works out.

Tis
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JP check to make sure you have all the bolts/nuts off. there is 3 on either side. Which makes 6 over all not 5. let me know how you make out. I can take pics
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2004, 10:15 AM
redrover

Thanks Randy Tis, This morn before work,I looked for another bolt-and Damm there is another one hidden up behind the diff lock linkage/4lo linkage. it is in a tuff spot and should be a real treat to get at. My manual says there are only 3 bolts and one nut. Now there will be six fasteners. Any way thanks. jp
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

JP did you make an adaptor plate to hold the T-case on your jack? I made one when I replaced my T-case last year and I still have it. The hardest part of the job was getting the new case on and bolted in. The adaptor helped allot. If you need borrow it all I ask for is shipping cost (around $5-10 for UPS Ground).
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JP. I would borrow Mikes jack plate. When putting it back in it will be a total bitch and heavy. IT will make it easyer to line up.

Glad to help. I actually went out to mine and counted the bolts to make sure for you.

Randy
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
It's a whole lot easier on and off if you take the transfre gear out the back of the transfer box. The one behind the circular plate on the back of the transfer box, if there's wear on the output shaft from the main box this can hang up. I used a sling through the center hole in the seat box to drop it on the ground when taking the T box out. Getting it back in wasn't so easy as there's little space behind the T box before you colide with the chassis once you're clear of the out put shaft. Have fun
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:52 AM
redrover

Thanks Michael, I welded up a bracket that sits on my floor jack. I removed the screw that was eluding me and pulled case. pretty easy when you find all the screws. Duh! Any way ready to start gear swap. The Maxi drive directions are like Chinese to me , but it should be fun. I will shoot pictures in case someone else goes for conversion. Thanks for help jp
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What reduction did you get I think there are 2, 30% and 40%. Pics would be very cool also! Good luck.
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I've got some exploded diagrams from the LR parts manual that might help if you get to the pile of cogs and stage.
It helped when I rebuilt my transfer box. just let me know and I'll Email them to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case