Transfer box input bearing preload - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Transfer box input bearing preload

Just a quick question... How important is it to check the transfer box input bearing preload when replacing the original for a cross drilled one? I haven't changed/touched the shims or bearing tracks, i've just fitted the input gear with new bearings and wondered if i need to get the preload checked as i don't have a gauge precise enough to do it myself. Do people just fit these in situ and not worry or is it really important to check this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Ask Roadsiderob on this board. He is the pro at transfer cases.

Doc Holliday
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Did you not replace the bearing races as well? If you installed new bearings, you should really replace the old races as well, and then check the preload (and shim as necessary). And yes, Rob Dassler would be the authority on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Can i replace the front raceway without dropping the transfer box? - i wasn't sure you could - thats why i left the old ones in. Obviously the parts wear together over time so the old raceways would match the old bearings somewhat, but is it ok to use the old raceways with the new bearings or will this likely result in preature wear and failure of the new bearings?
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I know it's not the answer you want, but I think you've answered your own question. Yes, it will wear prematurely. How much depends upon how much of a wear pattern has developed.

It might be possible to replace the front race in situ, but it will be much easier with the box out. I just swapped out my TC so I know it's not a fun job. But it's not horrendous either. Make sure you have a new input seal ready to install as well.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
For that matter, if it's low mileage, could you swap the original bearings onto the new crossdrilled input gear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

That's the option I'd probably go with if I was deadset against tearing everything apart. You should still check the preload as the new input gear may have a different bearing shoulder dimension. At the very least, measure the shoulder-to-shoulder dimension, compare it to the old gear, and adjust shims if necessary. Assumption is that the old gear was properly preloaded.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would just slap it all back together. Other than the center crush sleeve (which I have seen reused) they seem pretty tolerant of less than ideal situations.

Just keep oil in it and it will be fine.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would just slap it all back together. Other than the center crush sleeve (which I have seen reused) they seem pretty tolerant of less than ideal situations.

Just keep oil in it and it will be fine.
Yeah what he said!!!!!! X2
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Thanks for the replies. The old bearings had done 150k miles so i reckoned it would be a good time to change them.

I hadn't thought of the races until Ryan mentioned it above as i assumed these were hard wearing and didn't really wear as much as the bearings but of course it makes sense to change them. (i figured that if i change wheel bearings on older vehicles i wouldn't change the hubs unless they were damaged and i applied similar thinking to this - rightly or not).

The truth is that the transfer box was off and i'd just bolted it all back up on the day i started this thread so i was horrified that i'd have to drop it again to do something i should have done in the first place (especially after i'd returned the engine hoist to my uncle an hours drive away!)

I think i'll replace the gear and new bearings with the old races and see how we go.... (the races are in really good nick - no grooves or score marks). I'll still check the preload as with the old shim it was really tight.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Reb,

Hope it all works out for you. I know what it's like to have everything buttoned up, and then realize you should've done something while it was torn apart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions