Tranny tunnel vibration when clutch is depressed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:11 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Tranny tunnel vibration

Just a week ago I noticed this issue. When I depress the clutch the car shifts fine (well relatively speaking for a 1994 NAS defender 90 from 1st to 2nd) but at the same time I get quite a noticeable vibration in the vehicle from the tranny tunnel (underneath center console). That being said it is occurring occasionally (the vibration) even if the clutch isn't depressed (at certain RPMs).

Appears to be some form of clutch chatter that always happens when I depress the clutch but also happens sometimes without the clutch depressed. So that part has me thrown off. Assumed it could be some fluid leaking into the friction surfaces but not sure that explains the vibrations when the clutch is not depressed.

Thoughts? I show no signs of leaking on to the garage floor that is noticeable.

Thanks,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

This is probably a nutty idea, but how are the UJs? Something's unbalanced under there!
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:44 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
This is probably a nutty idea, but how are the UJs? Something's unbalanced under there!
Not that nutty of a thought thank you. Will look into that first thing tomorrow. Also maybe thinking it is possibly related to a drive shaft issue as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Perhaps hot spots on the flywheel from the pressure plate wear? Obviously check all the external stuff first. I'd pull the brake drum and check inside there as well. Oil leaks from the tcase can get things sticky in there too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:08 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Update: after 3 test drives with my local mechanic we trouble shot the vibration to actually coming from the rear of the vehicle. It was difficult to pin down because the vibration in the rear transferred to the low range shift link and made it seem as if it was originating under the tranny tunnel but it wasn't.

Turns out it was the rear U-Joint. Simple $300 job parts and installation included and problem solved.

Thanks for the posts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions