Tranny, T-Box Locked Rear Wheels Ahhh! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

[QUOTE=junkyddog11]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
. Moved T-box shift to H-4 locked and drove D about 2 miles. Rear wheels locked 200 feet after R hand corner and Bob and D did a 360 on the street. QUOTE]

I'm thinking that, although the upgrade to Toy diffs is a nice thing, you may be wanting to look at what caused this issue in the first place. Probably not the diffs. Try NOT "experimental driving" the truck after a catastrophic failure and you will be much less likely to potentially roll the truck endangering yourself and others, never mind doing what sounds like extensive (and expensive) further damage to the drivetrain.

sorry....lecture over.

Good luck with the fix (plenty of good help locally eh?) and keep us posted as to what the origin of the failure was.
Lecture well received...But not one I need to see twice Some other newbies needs to see this and take very careful notice. "It weren't fun"

Here is a PIC of the Diff tears too. The second tear starts at the top of the one that is clearly visible...Opposite direction. Nice huh? Heh, any good posts here on differential replacement options...Advantages/disadvantages/most popular/cost?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DefDiffTear.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	9781  
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Here is a PIC of the Diff tears too. The second tear starts at the top of the one that is clearly visible...Opposite direction. Nice huh? Heh, any good posts here on differential replacement options...Advantages/disadvantages/most popular/cost?
:-( Looks like you probably need some differential work _and_ to fix the axle/diff housing.....
If this was mine, I'd get a cheap used housing + differential from someone who switched to Yota/Unimog/... axles or from a totalled vehicule. But then.... depending on price, you might end up being better fixing yours! You can definitely find cheap used differentials, then the housing can probably be welded back into place.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:28 AM
revorder
JP McInerny

Bob, I have a clean housing to . JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by revorder
Bob, I have a clean housing to . JP
I'm starting to think that this is a really good idea. Extremely appreciated. Just need to get to Vail. Maybe next weekend? Anything you need? I have a couple of spares and odds and ends. Gave most of my extra stuff away...
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
revorder
JP McInerny

Bob , I leave for Northern minn on Sunday for two weeks. If you want the housing and 3rd member let me know and I could leave them outside my garage. I would clear up any TC transmission problems before they go in. JP

PS are you related to Mike Hanson?
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Bob - Recommend you call Jeff at JC. He just parted out a 94 Disco and RRC. He was rolling around the complete axles with tires on them by their control arms yesterday. Could be a very easy way to get you moving again. HTH. Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel, wheels