Trailering race car - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Z06801
Park
1995 LWB RRC

This is my big rational for doing a LS conversion to my 95 RRC LWB. Hoping to just go 35 miles from SLC to Miller with my ST1 Z06 which is a pig at 3050lbs. What do you guys think about a LWB classic with upgraded drivetrain for short flat tows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I never had issues dragging rovers on heavy UHaul trailers up and down the east coast and across the Midwest and from Canada being pulled with my D90 or discos or LWB. Maybe I slowed down to 55 or 60 on the big hills, but rover brakes are actually pretty good (compared to my suburban anyway). YMMV.
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I dragged a 110 out of the port of Baltimore 250 miles back to the farm yesterday with the D2. I have a brake controller and like to be heavy on the trailer brakes. A load leveling hitch is also key to being safe towing with a coil sprung short wheel base truck, ie no tail squat or light front end.
Johan is on his way to Virginia with the new to me 7.3 f250 crew cab so hopefully this was my last trip towing with an inappropriate tow vehicle.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I dragged a 110 out of the port of Baltimore 250 miles back to the farm yesterday with the D2. I have a brake controller and like to be heavy on the trailer brakes. A load leveling hitch is also key to being safe towing with a coil sprung short wheel base truck, ie no tail squat or light front end. Johan is on his way to Virginia with the new to me 7.3 f250 crew cab so hopefully this was my last trip towing with an inappropriate tow vehicle.
Your gonna love your f250, I just got a 7.3 a few weeks ago and I love it!! No going back and the diesel is awesome!
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
My father used to tow a Lola behind a '65 109; from Boston to Limerock. I recall many a trip as a child. Landies can tow but road speeds were different way back then and pulling ability ids different than safety

That said....when I first starting rally racing I used a '99 4RNR to tow my 3,400# WRX, 1,800# trailer, and 800#s of spares/tools/wheels. It pulled ok, but stopping was a whole other story....Braking distances doubled, like always being on hard-packed snow. And pad wear was worse on the truck than on the rally car.

A brake modulator/computer helped, as did a weight disturbing trailer hitch, but ultimately the 4RNR go swapped for a Land Cruiser 100. Bigger: brakes, engine, cooling made for mo' better hauling of race car.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I have a friend that tows this with his S3 three or four times a week, he has had some motor modification, but it pulls pretty well.

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Kraig on this forum found and went and bought this one for me, I specifically had been hunting for a 99-2003 7.3 4x4 crew cab. In his spare time he did a ton of updates under the hood including a new turbo. Now Johan is towing it down to me.

You have to love the relationships forged through this forum !

Here is a shot Kraig just sent of my f250 loaded up behind Johans f250.

Towing rovers with this truck will be child's play, appropriate tool for the job . Good thing since there were 2 x-mod trucks @ the port yesterday that I need to pick up as soon as they clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jpg.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	105061  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac