Trailer wiring works but not with headlights on - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 5th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Trailer wiring works but not with headlights on

so im going on a small roadtrip next weekend and i pull out my trailer to make sure everything is working... i check my signal lights on my truck and trailer (trailer only has two lights that double as brakelights) and it all works great... i turn on my headlights and trailer lights go on to low from completely off... still good... i turn on signals... truck lights work but trailer lights dont. i turn on brakes... truck lights work but trailer brake lights stay on low ....

just had a LED kit intalled on my truck and the trailer is new to me from last year when i used it during daylight hours only...

is it the truck or the trailer? could they have pooched something when they did the LED lights?

btw its a 97 90 NAS LE

thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2016, 05:50 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Get clip on bike lights and stick them on the back of the trailer as running lights. Honestly, it's cheaper and easier than trying to figure it out. In the years of owning my truck, I've had 2 independent shops and 2 dealers try to wire the thing for a US trailer connection. Not once, ever, have the lights worked right. Come to think of it, btw my father and my brother, my family has owned 9 Land Rovers and I don't think a single one of them worked properly with a 4 pin trailer.
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:33 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have an Atlantic British trailer adapter installed in my 95, plug and play and yes it works.
They make one for the 97 as well

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2016, 08:12 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
either you wire the trailer to emulate the truck's wiring i/e independent brake lights and turn signals versus the combination lights it has, or use a turn signal brake light converter.

LED Test 6 Round to 4 Flat

Taillight Converter Universal Kit

pick you own poison...the last includes the converter permanent in the wiring
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

One I used
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9439A

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

All my trailer light issues have been on the trailers themself. Grounds frequently go bad.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Get clip on bike lights and stick them on the back of the trailer as running lights. Honestly, it's cheaper and easier than trying to figure it out. In the years of owning my truck, I've had 2 independent shops and 2 dealers try to wire the thing for a US trailer connection. Not once, ever, have the lights worked right. Come to think of it, btw my father and my brother, my family has owned 9 Land Rovers and I don't think a single one of them worked properly with a 4 pin trailer.
If it were only that simple... Problem is marker lights (low power stop signal) works but not brake or signals when the truck headlights are on.... So it works great in the daytime but I can't drive it at night.... I will check those ground... I don't want a converter as the trailer is wired for a four pin as well....
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:13 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Hi Mark,
Did you figure this out?
On my DII I have the LR 7 round pin and need a converter to 4 pin flat for a U-Haul.
After searching for a few hours it seems some are happy with the likes of the etrailer or AB adapter. Some say it will not work and diodes (controller) are necessary. Other report problems with their vehicle lights. I have daytime running headlights.
So I'm stumped for now.
Regards, Eric.
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:52 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I have a 4pin on my '95. Don't know the brand of the adapter, but it works correctly except that the trailer idiot light (on dash) flickers, when hooked up to the trailer, when I hit the turn signal. Wait, come to think of it, I think I remember now that the trailer idiot light flickers anytime I hit the blinker, regardless of whether the trailer is connected or not. Trailer running lights work like they should with the runners/navs on. Trailer lights are the dual use brake/tails. However, unlike you, I don't have any DRL's.

Are you getting any feedback when the trailer is connected? Does your trailer idiot light function correctly, or is it freaky like mine?
Old July 14th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I bought the lr style 7 round pin plug from Trevor @ rovahfarm for about $7 us. I wired this to a Harbor freight 4 flat adapter for a total cost of ten bucks... Works great

That being said I'd take a meter and test the taillight voltage pin on the truck side with the headlight switch on and off. If you have voltage both times then you know it's either the adapter or the trailer.

This diagram shows the truck socket side of the wiring, note the orientation of the socket it is dictated by a small key on the socket and a keyway on the plug

If you have double duty brake and signal lights you will not use the"fog" circuit.

"earth" is ground

"lh indicator" and "rh indicator" are the blinkers

"lh tail" and "rh tail" are the running lights

Brake is the brake light

If you are wiring to a 4way plug the tail wires will go to the same terminal so you will have ground, tail/running and lh and rh indicators four circuits
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
to update my situation...

i went to a trailer shop and had my setup checked out. Turns out that the signals and brakes were working but really dim. He hooked up my trailer to another rig and it was fine i.e. problem was in the truck.

Only thing i can think of is that something in the LED flasher relay or smart resistors is not allowing both systems to be powered up fully... irrelevant now though since i had this little box installed that uses the truck wiring to provide a signal but draws power directly from the battery to power the trailer lighting... works great now... was just about a hundred dollars all in and mark is a happy boy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, wiring