Trailer wiring question.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Trailer wiring question..

Before I get griped on for rehashing an old topic, I did search for this particular answer, but didn't find it.

There have been lots of threads over the years about where the harness for the trailer wiring is, and lots of people who can't find it.

I'm one of the ones who can't find it...

My question is this: Is it possible that my truck doesn't even have the harness at all?

I've seen pics of the rear frame where there is a box attached to the frame in front of the gas recirculator (or whatever that thing is attached to the gas tank?) I don't have that.. no idea if that is the factory box or if people have added it there.

So what I see is the harness exiting the frame near the rear crossmember and it splits into two... one over the fuel tank (where I presume it feeds the fuel pump). and another that goes to wards the rear crossmember and up into the rear area of the speaker.

It splits into three looms. One goes over to the left side turn signals, and two go up into the right side speaker area.

If I open up the right side speaker area, I see two sets of wires... one set is connected to the reverse, turn and brake lights - the other is unconnected.

There is no wiring harness for the trailer lights anywhere...

For the unconnected wires, they are:
two red with blk trace into a double-bullet-female connector.
a single solid purple into a double female bullet connector
two green with red trace into a double-bullet-female connector.
two red with green trace into a double-bullet-female connector.

can I use these to make a splice into the lights? I can't find a good wiring diagram that shows these wires.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	30815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	30816  

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	30817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	30818  

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	30819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	30820  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, that is where you hook up the lights. On a 1994 the "round plug" is not present. There is a land rover part that has the round plug and bullets to run to those connectors (FYI this part is found on all NAS 110s so if you have a friendly NAS 110 owner who never intends to tow ....) and then you can hook up the factory tow harness (the good one is NLA, the one they sell now is for a disco/RRC and the big 7 round plug to four flat is too short. What I have done in the part is gone to wal mart and for $14 or so you can get the hoppy adaptor to run four flat from a british vehicle. Pop on some bullets on the end and plug it into the harness there and bob is your uncle. Not cutting, works perfect and you can even ball it up behind the speaker so it does not have to hang down when not in use.

I forget the colors but all I did was use a test light to figure them out.

I think green white is right turn, green red is left turn, red black is tail and green purple is brake but I am not 100% sure. Do post up when you figure it out.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:48 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yes, that is where you hook up the lights. On a 1994 the "round plug" is not present. There is a land rover part that has the round plug and bullets to run to those connectors (FYI this part is found on all NAS 110s so if you have a friendly NAS 110 owner who never intends to tow ....) and then you can hook up the factory tow harness (the good one is NLA, the one they sell now is for a disco/RRC and the big 7 round plug to four flat is too short. What I have done in the part is gone to wal mart and for $14 or so you can get the hoppy adaptor to run four flat from a british vehicle. Pop on some bullets on the end and plug it into the harness there and bob is your uncle. Not cutting, works perfect and you can even ball it up behind the speaker so it does not have to hang down when not in use.

I forget the colors but all I did was use a test light to figure them out.

I think green white is right turn, green red is left turn, red black is tail and green purple is brake but I am not 100% sure. Do post up when you figure it out.

Hey, thanks for the reply... The strange thing is that both wires going into the female bullet connectors are the same colour... and for the purple, it is a single wire - all the rest are double wires...

Normally, you'd see a live and a ground wire (usually black or black trace) in a pair of wires, so this confuses me even more...?

I didn't even see a green with white trace... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The ground is back there too. It is seperate from the bundle you are talking about. It is black and is screwed into the tub and has a multi wire and multi bullet connection. I have my speaker out and I can look tonight at exactly what is what.

The reason both wires going to the bullet connector are the same color is because there are two lights (and two wires) ie two running lights or [three] brake lights. The extra holes on the bullet are to connect the trailer wiring.

You can also pluck the square light covers off to see what wire goes to what light.

Ron
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The ground is back there too. It is seperate from the bundle you are talking about. It is black and is screwed into the tub and has a multi wire and multi bullet connection. I have my speaker out and I can look tonight at exactly what is what.

The reason both wires going to the bullet connector are the same color is because there are two lights (and two wires) ie two running lights or [three] brake lights. The extra holes on the bullet are to connect the trailer wiring.

You can also pluck the square light covers off to see what wire goes to what light.

Ron
<smacking my head> Of course!

I just assumed they would split the wiring for running lights and left and right turn signals and brake lights... I assume the purple is for brake lights.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Found a diagram....

posted somewhere in the internet ether... it claims to be a screen cap from a 1997 NAS Defender... Can anyone assist in deciphering the wiring?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exterior lamps 1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	31354  
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWhitby View Post
Can anyone assist in deciphering the wiring?

Thanks!

tail lamps (i.e. rear reds on with the side lights) Green/Purple

high mounted brake light, Red

looks like they all connect together at A3/A4 whatever that junction is.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
tail lamps (i.e. rear reds on with the side lights) Green/Purple

high mounted brake light, Red

looks like they all connect together at A3/A4 whatever that junction is.

thanks! I just realized that gives me the braking, but not turn signals... Did some more digging and found the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exterior lamps 2.jpg
Views:	3180
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	31355  
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

^^^^ This is still only headlights/side lights/side repeaters, not turn signals.
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I am searching through all the old threads re: trailer wiring and trying to figure this out because i have to rig this up for some towing this weekend. My NAS 1994 is exactly like the pictures above in this thread (and slightly differenct than 95/97, I think, but lets not get off topic). My questions are:

Can I do this? and will it work right? (I got this from another thread).

1. Coat the inside of the socket with vaseline on a q-tip
2. Take a short 4-wire pigtail and solder on bullet connectors, plug into in correct places
3. Mix up plastic epoxy and envelop connectors and about an inch of the wiring
4. 2 hours later you'll have an adapter, no hacking of wires needed.

I would rather wire it myself and not use one of these kits (if possible). (I got this from another thread).
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9438.cfm

You'll need the 9439A kit.

If I do need a kit, which is the most simple that will work ok. I am not interested in setting up the wiring direct to the battery.

Thanks for all your suggestions & help - I appreciate it

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You should be able to use a standard connector, bullet, to fit into the Available sockets to do the wiring. You will have to get a converter to convert the Defender red stop/yellow turn into a trailer single red stop and turn.
The purple is constant hot.
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
So the bottom link has the converter and that is a must have - is that correct?
Could i take the kit in the bottom link and cut off the 7 pin cannon connector solder on bullet connectors and plug that into the existing 1994 trailer factory harness (that looks exactly like the pics above on this thread)?
Is it not possible to rig it up with out a converter and go bullets into the factory harness straight to a flat four?

Old May 1st, 2013, 06:48 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

No you will need some type of converter unless your trailer has yellow turn and red stop lights. Most trailers have one light that does the turn and stop, so you need the converter. I have used an off the shelf universal converter and made everything work with that.
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Or you could do like most of the red necks around here and not worry about turn signals.....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Only brake lights thats good....or i know folks who run with just no lights... Do hand turn signals work for trailers? I just got a 1989 classic 17 boston whaler with a 2006 galvy loadrite trailer and i want to be able to run at night.
Ok thanks ill try to find a converter - if anyone has a good one they have used that is cheaper than the one in the link from the thread above please let me know. I just wouldnt want to get the one from the link to then cut it all up by taking the cannon connector off and solder on bullets just kind of a waste. Ill just go 7 bullet conectors -right into the 94 harness - to the converter - to the flat four. Again if anyone can help with a suggestion for a converter i would appreciate it. Thanks

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I like plugging into the oe harness. That requires a euro 7 pin socket/pigtail and then the cheap 7 to 4 adapter that Atlantic British and Rovers North both sell. You can do it a lot cheaper buying a cheap $25 adapter @ most any auto parts store but that usually involves those 3m piggy back connectors and in my experience that results in the wire going green with corrosion quickly.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Please help i am in the middle of the wiring and confused. My wires dont seem to be the same color combos from other posts that i have looked up. Any help would be HUGE

Coming out of the 1994 defender harness behind the rear speaker:
- purple single wire?
- Two red both with blacktracer?
- two greens both with red tracers?
- two greens with brown tracers?
- there is a spot to plug in the neg ground from where the neg third brake light wire goes

Coming out of converter:
- white is ground
- red is brake
- green right turn
- yellow left turn
- brown park/tail light

Once i figutpre this out i will be all good for the flat four connector

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Ok working off this (see below) from another post, i have the brake and directionals on the trailer working, but cant figure out the trailer tail / running lights? Where does the Tail lights brown wire off the converter plug in?

right tail lamp RO=red/orange
left tail lamp RB=red/black
left Directional GR=green/red
right directional GW=green/white
stop lamp GP=green/purple

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Ok figured it out

Trailer Running lights / tail lights - go to two red with a black tracer

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

purple single wire? Power
- Two red both with blacktracer? LH Running light
- two greens both with red tracers? LH Turn
- two greens with brown tracers? Fog light
- there is a spot to plug in the neg ground from where the neg third brake light wire goes Black

Green/Purple Stop
Green/White RH Turn
Red/Yellow Reverse Lamp
Red/Orange RH Running

These are for a td5 and late 300 harness colors. Double check the tracer colors. G/P and G/R look pretty close, especially if they are old. Then, as mentioned previously, get a tester and test each wire to make sure they are what you think they are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring