Trailer wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

Trailer wiring

Did a search through the old treads but nothing that matches my situation.

I have these "spare" wires in the rear on the passenger side behind where the speaker would go. I'm assuming they are for a trailer? The truck has a trailer hitch that had been used, but no electrical connection. The purple wire is always hot, even with the ignition off. The red/black comes on with the lights, but the red/green and brown/green don't seem to do anything? I know there is a light on the dash for when a trailer is plugged in but don't know how it senses it?

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-953295574.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	67698
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check to see if you have a large plug with a rubber cover on it at the right rear behind the tire along the frame. Not sure about the NAS but if you have it that is for your trailer connector. The extra connectors you mention are in that area for additional stuff but might also be for the trailer?
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

There are no other plugs anywhere. I know it has pulled trailers at some point in the past. Either the wiring was removed by the PO or they just pulled trailers without lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Since you do not have the trailer plug you can use those wires at the right rear to hook up the trailer. I am not sure but think the extra resistance of the trailer lights will trigger the trailer light in the dash? If you do not have all of the wires for the trailer on the right side you may have to get the LH turn from the other side. You will need to get the converter so that you can go from the Defenders Red stop-Yellow turn to the trailers all red stop and turn.
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

Thanks for the info. What is the convert of which you speak. Something electronic?
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The PO definitely wired it his way.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX711 View Post
Thanks for the info. What is the convert of which you speak. Something electronic?
Defenders have separate brake and turn signal lights. The trailer runs the brake and turn signal on the same light. There's a converter sold at most auto parts store that will convert that for you. Less than $30 at O'Reilly's if I recall, including a four pin trailer connector.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

Awesome. Learn something new every day. Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

I've wired a number of vehicles for towing, including my D90, and I recommend that you spend the extra few bucks for a "powered" or "isolated" converter, which includes a DC line to the car battery and is essentially a relay that draws the power to the lights on the towed vehicle directly from your battery. The cheaper non-isolated converters run the power to the towed vehicle in series through the vehicle's electrical system (car lights, fuse box, etc.), so in effect you are running two sets of tail/stop/turn lights through one system. This may overload the system and is why you sometimes see a tow car's lights dim whenever the turn signals or brakes are activated.

Here's an example of an isolated converter from etrailer, which I've used a lot over the years and am glad to give them a plug:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V.../56146KIT.html

Another tip is to make sure you securely ground the system, as most electrical problems while towing are due to a faulty ground.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring