Trailer repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Trailer repair

Sorry if this is not pertaining to Land Rovers but this trailer is used to carry my land rover so hopefully it warrants a post. Truley I simply have no idea where to go for help on this.. My trailers brake drum locked up and caused one of the shoes to dislodge. I want to take the drum off and have taken out literally every single bolt I can find and the thing wont budge. It seems there is a hub nut that looks to be a giant castle nut except I can't get a wrench around it, the opening on the hub isn't large enough. Is there a tool that is supposed to mate with the top of a castle nut? I tired knocking it with a screwdriver but the nut will only make a quarter revolution before getting stuck. I cant find anything that would keep it from spinning.

Anyone ever done this on their trailers?? any advice? My Defender has no T-case and I need to move it.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Did you remove the cotter pin that keeps the castle nut from turning? If so maybe the spindle is deformed and keeping the castle nut from moving farther.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:50 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

That's the odd part, I can't find any sort of a retaining clip. I can't see a cotter pin and the nut does move about a quarter turn. There is piece of something that i can bend away from the castle nut but it still won't budge. I don't know what other type of retaining clip would be used with a castly nut... There is a lot of grease in there and i can't get a good look despite nailing it with air from the compressor (very messy).
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Picture(s) might helpwith a diagnosis
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Maybe try washing out the grease with parts cleaner or mineral spirits until you can see what's stopping the nut.
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
dkjbama
Derek Johnson
'97 D90ST - Lil' Mule

Remove the cotter pin and the castle nut comes off. There will be a standard hub nut underneath it. Next , get rid of those drums and convert to discs. I just converted my boat trailer to discs and used "HUSKY" brand brakes. Tie-down makes disc brake kits as well.

Follow-up Post:

Oops, thought you said there was a cotter pin.
Lil' Mule - 1997 D90 ST Monza Red #1254

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions