Trailer harness plug and/or connector type - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2006, 01:53 PM
spoolin440
Chris Johnson

Trailer harness plug and/or connector type

I'm clear on how to wire up an affordable setup for towing a trailer but... i just can't come to terms with cutting the factory connector. I know that the "other" side of the factory connecter has to be out there somewhere so that I can build my own factory setup... or at the very least does anyone know the connector type that will slide into the factory piece as individual wires?

I'd buy the Atlantic British unit but all I pull is a 7 pin trailer so don't want to use an adapter everytime... but the have the factory plug!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Good timing, I'm up against the exact same problem right now! I also want to preserve the factory plug, but need a 7-pin for my trailer.
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Buy the AB kit and just cut off the four way bit and wire the wires into your correct female trailer seven way that you bolt to your truck.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM
spoolin440
Chris Johnson

Yah I think i may end up doing that if I can't find another way.
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Even though it's $70 at AB, still cheaper than the one RN sells! Looks like the way I'm going.
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:41 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Try getting a Disco II trailer harness off a junk truck - that's what I did.
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I pinned out my connector and then used some cheap bullet connectors that slid over the connectors in the plug. I was sure to use a good set of crimpers and then I just siliconed the crap out of it. That way, if someone in the future wanted to put in a factory connector they could, although it will suck to have to dig out all that silicone. I did have to slightly crimp the bullet connectors so that they would fit tightly.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm a little confused. You guys are talking about making the Defender compatible with a 7 pin connector on a trailer? So you are pulling a trailer with lights and brakes obviously? What are you pulling with a Defender that needs brakes?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

David-

I'm getting a Horizon model Adventure Trailer http://adventuretrailers.com/ w/ 10" trailer brakes.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

If I understand what you are saying, you have the seven pin on your car, but not on your trailer.
What I did was wire a LR connector to a 4 flat connector (or the connector of your choice)
Like an extension cord with the correct connectors.

I have one of the LR connectors (new in box) for that purpose......email me
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

That's my solution as well - I have the seven pin socket on the truck and a short 18" connector that has the seven pin plug on one end and the flat four connector for my utility trailer on the other end.
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

In fact, I think I have 2 plugs....one is wired up, the other is new without wires.

You will need to sit down with a circuit tester and figure out what controls what if you are wiring it from scratch......unless you cheat and look at a wiring diagram
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Ahh, the ever-frustrating vagaries of Land Rover trailer wiring! Early on, I foolishly cut off the stock rubber socket, in order to hardwire a receptacle for the NATO 12-pin cable from a Sankey trailer. But now I'm towing a U.S.-built trailer, with the seven-pin electrics. So I bought the big-bucks Land Rover kit, and spliced it in to where the rubber plug had been. And then realized that although it terminates in a seven-pin socket, it's the European N-type connector, with round conductors, rather than the flat-pin U.S. style. So I tracked down a male N connector, and wired up an adaptor from that to my U.S. trailer harness.

The solutions you guys are proposing sound much less Byzantine....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SankeyPlug.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	6887  
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
spoolin440
Chris Johnson

ok... I secured a genuine setup but it has the round pins you speak of. When looking at the UK wiring diag. of the EU plug it looks like they account for seperate tails. To save going at it with a test light, does anyone have the color codes for the OEM harness? The unit I have has the block box for converting and the following wires:

Blue
Yellow
White
Brown
Green
Red
Black
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Chris, look here: http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/dat...%20Assignments

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions