Toyo Open Country M/T - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Toyo Open Country M/T

Is anyone running this tire? I'm looking to get new tires soon and am looking at these three. BFG Mud-Terrain, Goodyear MTR's and the Toyo Open Country M/T. All in the 285/75 size

Right now I'm pretty set on the Goodyear MTR's, but the Toyo's look like they're a good tire too. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them on a 90.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
kellymoe's Avatar
kellymoe
Status: Offline
kevin
defender 130
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: burbank california
Posts: 967
Registry
I kind of have Toyo's. My retreads are Toyo's. I have been very happy with them. $60 a tire.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
KevinNY's Avatar
KevinNY
Status: Offline
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Guilderland,NY
Posts: 1,460
Chris,

If you are looking for a set of offroad tires I will be selling the tires and wheels you saw on my rig at Romp soon. I picked up a set of beadlocks with tires already mounted for my offroad meats.

Mine are black painted D90 alloys with Interco LTB 34x10.5-16s, basically the same size as a 285/75-16.

KB

EDIT: Those toyos are expensive, I can get you mine all mounted on wheels with a brand new spare on a steel wheel for way less than 5 of those.
__________________
'73 SeriesIII coiler,"The Goat", Daihatsu 2.8TD,Santana,Ashcroft,ARB's,etc., now SOLD
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
twiftwix
Status: Offline
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Is anyone running this tire? I'm looking to get new tires soon and am looking at these three. BFG Mud-Terrain, Goodyear MTR's and the Toyo Open Country M/T. All in the 285/75 size

Right now I'm pretty set on the Goodyear MTR's, but the Toyo's look like they're a good tire too. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them on a 90.
Yeah, I'm running the Toyo Open Country's in that size on my D90 (on 16x8 steel rims, if that matters). They're really nice tires, the best I've had for what I do with my truck. I think I'll be sticking to them from here on out.

I swapped the Toyo's out from a set of BFG M/T's. The differences between the two, I think:
  • The Toyo's feel a lot better off-road when I'm out rough-housing; they just feel more stable and they're a little nastier somehow (I can't quite put my finger on it).
  • The BFG's are a little better in snow; they're a little less slippy (neither one of them is great, though).
  • The BFG's are smoother on the highway, at speed particularly, but they don't feel as stable as the Toyo's do (the Toyo's roughen things up but you still feel more in control, if that makes sense).
  • The rubber on the Toyo's seems softer, I don't think I'll get as many miles out of the tread on them as on the BFG's.
  • The Toyo's are much better looking (if you care about that). It's just a stupid thing, but the Toyo's come in blackwall in metric sizes; the BFG's have all that icky white writing all over the sidewall. It just annoys me, but YMMV.
Hope that helps.

Tim F.

__________________
"The truth has an anti-Bush bias."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Chris,

If you are looking for a set of offroad tires I will be selling the tires and wheels you saw on my rig at Romp soon. I picked up a set of beadlocks with tires already mounted for my offroad meats.

Mine are black painted D90 alloys with Interco LTB 34x10.5-16s, basically the same size as a 285/75-16.

KB

EDIT: Those toyos are expensive, I can get you mine all mounted on wheels with a brand new spare on a steel wheel for way less than 5 of those.
Hmm now you've got me thinking. I was going to sell my current tires (Toyo Open Country A/Ts) as I really don't like them at all. They're hopeless offroad. And buy something that would do well on and off-road. The Toyo's are expensive, but I can get quite a discount on them, so that's less of an issue. How much would you want for them?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm running the Toyo Open Country's in that size on my D90 (on 16x8 steel rims, if that matters). They're really nice tires, the best I've had for what I do with my truck. I think I'll be sticking to them from here on out.

I swapped the Toyo's out from a set of BFG M/T's. The differences between the two, I think:
  • The Toyo's feel a lot better off-road when I'm out rough-housing; they just feel more stable and they're a little nastier somehow (I can't quite put my finger on it).
  • The BFG's are a little better in snow; they're a little less slippy (neither one of them is great, though).
  • The BFG's are smoother on the highway, at speed particularly, but they don't feel as stable as the Toyo's do (the Toyo's roughen things up but you still feel more in control, if that makes sense).
  • The rubber on the Toyo's seems softer, I don't think I'll get as many miles out of the tread on them as on the BFG's.
  • The Toyo's are much better looking (if you care about that). It's just a stupid thing, but the Toyo's come in blackwall in metric sizes; the BFG's have all that icky white writing all over the sidewall. It just annoys me, but YMMV.
Hope that helps.

Tim F.
Yes it does! Thank you. How about noise on the highway? Which is louder? BFG or Toyo? I'm still very curious about the Goodyear MTR's. Everyone who has them seems to love them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
KevinNY's Avatar
KevinNY
Status: Offline
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Guilderland,NY
Posts: 1,460
pm'd ya.
__________________
'73 SeriesIII coiler,"The Goat", Daihatsu 2.8TD,Santana,Ashcroft,ARB's,etc., now SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
twiftwix
Status: Offline
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
How about noise on the highway? Which is louder? BFG or Toyo? I'm still very curious about the Goodyear MTR's. Everyone who has them seems to love them.
The Toyo's are definitely louder. (It doesn't really bother me; I'm so used to it I can just tune it out.)

I don't have any direct experience with the Goodyears. Both of the guys I run with have them and seem to like them alright. I can do alot of things they can't/won't though. They're both running Jeeps, so maybe they have bigger issues than tires.

Tim F.

__________________
"The truth has an anti-Bush bias."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Thank you, Tim. They're starting to sound like a good option. I like how the lugs are a bit more spaced out than the Goodyears. Better for mud.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
twiftwix
Status: Offline
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Thank you, Tim. They're starting to sound like a good option. I like how the lugs are a bit more spaced out than the Goodyears. Better for mud.
Glad to help out.

Yeah, mud is definitely their strong suit. I think our mud, out here, and your mud are two different flavors. The Toyo's would work even better on *your* mud, would be my guess.

Oh, and just in case: I've got OME springs on my truck (with an extra 1-3/4" or so lift). I think the extra lift might make a difference in that size. They extend a ways past the wheel arches.

Good luck,

Tim F.

__________________
"The truth has an anti-Bush bias."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Ok thanks. Yeah I'm currently not lifted, but am looking into getting some 2" Rovertym springs soon. I've read around and it sounds like 285/75 fits alright without a lift. I'll just have to adjust the turn stops.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OPen loop stall, or at least I think it is open loop! Neo Defender Technical Discussions 18 January 25th, 2012 11:34 AM
4 Toyo Open Country A/T tires cellulararrest For Sale - Parts 0 May 18th, 2007 12:01 PM
Toyo MTs? howellm70 Defender Technical Discussions 1 February 25th, 2006 06:27 PM
Goodyear M/T scout x Defender Technical Discussions 1 February 17th, 2006 08:59 AM
OT: NASA's JPL Open House - This weekend, May 14-15, 2005 arbik Misc. Chit-Chat 0 May 13th, 2005 06:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Copyright