Towing pop-up camper w/ a D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 25th, 2013, 09:39 AM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Towing pop-up camper w/ a D90

Want to buy a "little" pop-up camper for hunting & fishing trips. The dry weight is listed at 2,545 lbs and the gross weight, whatever that means, is listed at 4,400 lbs. Is that too much for a '95 D90? Just kinda sounds like it but wanted to ask what your experience might be. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it has brakes it will be fine.
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If it has brakes it will be fine.
Yep...be safe. Make sure the trailer has brakes and your setup is nice and proper. Towing isn't the problem....stopping is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:10 PM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Thanks, guys.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I've been pulling a tent trailer since 1999, electric brakes are the way to go, it's never fun to be pushed around by a trailer.
Dang, 2545 lbs ??? That's very heavy for a tent trailer. Most weigh in at the 1500 lb. range. Is it armor plated ?

I forget the weight limit, but at a certain gvw weight, they have to have brakes. Also IF your going off road be sure to get "C" rated tires, B rates just don't cut it.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
. . .

Dang, 2545 lbs ??? That's very heavy for a tent trailer. Most weigh in at the 1500 lb. range. Is it armor plated ?

. . .
Yeah, no kidding it's heavy. It's a Fleetwood Evolution which is built a little more ruggedly, or so touted, to handle mild off road. It's perfect for me to get to a decent place in the desert to camp and then hunt from. And it has a platform behind the trailer hitch and the main part of the trailer for . . . whatever. For me a generator for the plasma T.V., extra A/C, etc. And before someone goes ballistic, I'm kidding. But extra water for the dogs, yes. C rated tires too, so you're right on there too Dennis. Gracias.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Also I think the tow limit of the D90 is something like 5400 lbs.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

US is supposedly 3500lbs. UK you are correct.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
You got my curiosity up ... Dug out my '97 original D90 owners manual.
Several limits, trailer w/ brakes & no brakes, on road off road, low range vs high range.

On/off road no brakes, 1650 lbs

On road High range w/brakes, 3500 lbs.
Off road High range w/brakes, 2200 lbs.

On road Low range w/brakes, 5000 lbs.
Off road Low range w/brakes, 2200 lbs.

Max tongue wt. 350 lbs.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Like I said, 3500lbs.
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Do you think the difference is due to the NAS bumper & receiver VS the UK frame direct mount ?
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Do you think the difference is due to the NAS bumper & receiver VS the UK frame direct mount ?
No, I think it is due to the US being overly litigous.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Quote:
No, I think it is due to the US being overly litigous.
Nah. Really?

On the other hand, maybe I'll keep my F-250 diesel. It wouldn't notice the camper's there. No contest off road of course.

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2013 05:38 PM ------

Then again, again, I could add almost 1,000 lbs to the rated dry weight and still be w/in the LR recommended limit. Can you add that much needed stuff to a pop-up and really use it??
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes. This happens with many vehicles. My VW for example is 2000lbs in the US and 3000 plus in the UK/Europe and it can't be for the hitch because VW does not sell one in the US.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:33 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Be sure to do some homework and get a good controller for the brakes. I haven't used one in a few years, but the last one I had was a "Prodigy"...It was incredible...It even worked the brakes in reverse (which a lot wouldn't do), so that would be important if your'e going to offroad it some.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:41 AM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Be sure to do some homework and get a good controller for the brakes. I haven't used one in a few years, but the last one I had was a "Prodigy"...It was incredible...It even worked the brakes in reverse (which a lot wouldn't do), so that would be important if your'e going to offroad it some.
Thanks for the point. I was thinking about researching elec. brakes a little earlier this evening. But I've been more focused on whether a pintel/lunette hookup could be accomplished. Specifically, adapting the M416 lunette casting, with all other parts of course, to the Fleetwood trailer. I like the flexibility of the M416 system for off road situations. I have access to a machine shop if need be. The whole idea may not work but I won't know until I look deeper. Figuring out how to get the dimensions and angles of all parts (M416 and the Fleetwood) should be, uh, challenging. No rush. Have plenty of time. Thanks, again. Vic
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:39 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Take this for what it is worth. I have a d-90, and also was using my wife's '04 disco to tow a fleetwood evolution E3. Towing that specific trailer was interesting with the tongue weight due to the toy hauler deck. I had to use a weight distribution hitch system for it. The torsion bars were so hard on the actual hitch assembly that it bent the assembly. That said her disco totally took a dump on us and we are set to go camping this weekend. I was dreading hauling the trailer with my D-90 but was preparing to. We just purchased a suburban for her last night. The disco started to see problems when I started towing a bunch with it.

I would never in a million years tow my trailer behind my d-90 in hilly terrain. I would never in a million years go much farther than an hour or so. It all simply comes down to tongue weight that is the deal killer.

RickM
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post

That's a very good point!
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM
doscazadores
Vic Stull
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Take this for what it is worth. I have a d-90, and also was using my wife's '04 disco to tow a fleetwood evolution E3. Towing that specific trailer was interesting with the tongue weight due to the toy hauler deck. I had to use a weight distribution hitch system for it. The torsion bars were so hard on the actual hitch assembly that it bent the assembly. That said her disco totally took a dump on us and we are set to go camping this weekend. I was dreading hauling the trailer with my D-90 but was preparing to. We just purchased a suburban for her last night. The disco started to see problems when I started towing a bunch with it.

I would never in a million years tow my trailer behind my d-90 in hilly terrain. I would never in a million years go much farther than an hour or so. It all simply comes down to tongue weight that is the deal killer.

RickM
Good to know. Like I said, I may just keep my F250 for the sake of the Evolution, if I decide to get it.
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:01 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

If you have an F-250, that would tow it like a noodle. As for the D-90, you would certainly need a WDH system, and I am actually remembering I read somewhere where this hitch mount on the D-90 won't take a WDH setup.

I am not sure what the wheel base is in terms of difference between the 90 and a disco, but it used to scare the hell out of me when I would hit a good size road bump at highway speeds and the WDH would start to lift the back end up, then it would drop and make the front tires feel like they were going to come off the ground.

Needless to say, I love my D-90, and I love my E3. Hope to grow old and die with both, but hopefully not attached together as means of my death.

We purchased a 2500 suburban just because of this trailer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, wing