tough trans ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

tough trans ?

I have a 1995 Disco 1, with serpentine belt. The engine went bad last year and I replaced it(myself). I had an engine given to me that I had to rebuild. I believe it was out of a Disco 2(but could be from a Range). The engine bolted to my ZF auto with no problems, everything was great. Last week my trans or xfer went bad. I found a complete trans/xfer ot of a 1997 Disco 2 . This time I didn't have the time to install the trans/xfer. I had a local shop install them. They called me and said that the "new" torque converter would not bolt to the flexplate, because the hole on the crank was to small. They just used my old converter and everything seems to work ok. Does anybody know if this could be true? I'm about 100% sure the engine in the truck is a 4.0. Thanks Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2004, 02:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"They called me and said that the "new" torque converter would not bolt to the flexplate,"

I told you in the previous post. torque converters between the 3.9 and 4.0 are different.

Ron
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

Ron-" I'm about 100% sure the engine in the truck is a 4.0 " and the trans is out of a 1997 Disco2. The engine is not a 3.9. I don't know what year the engine is but it is cross drilled(4 bolt main caps) Thanks Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2004, 01:21 PM
wes
Wes
1995 Discovery

Hey, D2s' came out in 1999.
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"Ron-" I'm about 100% sure the engine in the truck is a 4.0 " and the trans is out of a 1997 Disco2. The engine is not a 3.9. I don't know what year the engine is but it is cross drilled(4 bolt main caps) Thanks Tim"

Well,

If it got replaced with a 4.0 they would have reused the 3.9 flywheel/flexplate/etc which is what matters.

"because the hole on the crank was to small." not sure what this means or how it would be relavent.
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

Oops I meant out of a Disco1. And I did the engine swap, and used the 3.9 flexplate/flywheel and some sort of spacer. The engine was out of a Disco 2 or Range Rover. I have a friend at a Land Rover Dealership ,where the 4.0 came from, and he told me the engine was a 2001. The shop (that installed the trans) told me when they tried to bolt the torque converter to the flexplate it "bottom out" on the crank. He said the 1995 torque converter fit inside the end of the crank a little (about 1/2"). I don't know if they used the 1997 flex plate. I looked at the flexplate from the 1997 and it looked the same, but I did not measure. Mabee they didn't change flexplates. Does the torque converter touch the crank? Thanks Tim
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:37 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok,

Here is what I know:

You can take a 4.0 and put it in place of a 3.9 and everything is ok with the 3.9 trans/flexplate/flywheel.

If you try to put a trans from a 96 and up into a 3.9 truck the torque converter will not fit. Exactly why I don't know.

But on the plus side the torque converter is almost never bad so the old one should be ok (make sure to flush if it was an interal clutch failure). Usually it starts slipping or the pump fails. either way the TC usually is fine.
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:51 AM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

That is what I was told by Land Rover, but I have a 4.0 in the truck. Did they (Land Rover) make 2 different 4.0 crankshafts? Mabee when they went to GEMS? Could the engine be a 4.6? Would that matter and how could I tell. Like I said the engine was a 2002, but we don't know what it came out of. All I know is it had a dropped sleave, and I used the crankshaft and rods, in a different engine. Thanks Tim
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Sounds like a cobbled up mess to me. The piece that bolts to the crank is most likely the problem.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am 99% sure it is not the block, just the crap that bolts on to it. The swapability of 3.9/4.0/4.6 leads me to this conclusion. if it was an issue, all the people I sold 4.0 to swap in place of 3.9s would be hunting me down :-)

Since it is back together and hopefully ok I would not be too concerned.

Ron

Follow-up Post:

PS I am fairly sure the crank between GEMS and Bosch is the same. 4.0/4.6 are different of course. The only real difference I can see between bosch and GEMS is the crank sensor mounting plate.

Ron
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

Ron- The block has a roung hole on the drivers side for the crank sensor. Does this mean it is a GEMS or a Bosch? I was going to rebuild the ZF and install into my D-90. I was going to use the xfer(becuase I though the trans needed rebuilding), but I just opened it up and found pieces of brass. It looks like the hi/low shift fork is bent,broken and wore out. I knew I couldn't use the xfer in the D-90(stick) so now it looks like I'll be looking for a xfer case. Tim
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

1. You cannot rebuild the ZF on your own
2. The GEMS and BOSCH have the same "hole" but the plate that is welded in is different, if it is 02 then is bosch. 99 was the last year of any GEMS (DI and some P38A RR, the 1999 4.0 and 4.0S). If it is replacing a 3.9 it does not matter as the crank sensor does not go there anyway so the plate is irrelevant.

If it is just the shift fork it can be fixed on the t-case.

As far as the ZF in the D90 you need to find a flywheel, flexplate etc that match the torque converter to make it work (as well as the shifter and cable, cable is like $300 new!)

You are really going about this in a really screwy way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions