Tough to shift - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tough to shift

It's really hard to shift gears. Also, when in gear and with the clutch fully depressed, the clutch isn't fully disengaged because the truck still rolls.
I don't see any leaking fluid around the master or slave, no fluid on the brake pedal. I changed both about 10-15k miles ago.
Is there a linkage or cable that needs to be adjusted? I couldn't find instructions in the maintenance manual.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2014, 11:37 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Behind the clutch master cylinder (under the bonnet) there is a small box with 6 screws holding the cover on. Underneath the cover is the adjustment for the clutch play. It sounds like you need more "throw" so your clutch fully disengages when the pedal is pushed all the way down.

Old June 15th, 2014, 05:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Does sound like the MC could be getting week, adjusting that rod is a major bitch. You could try adjusting the littlebolt on the outside of the clutch pedal box. My clutch was slipping due to the lack of "free play" in the rod, a small adjustment here fixed it.

It took me 10 minutes to aadjust the clutch pedal on my civic, some things just shouldn't be so hard.
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:10 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Behind the clutch master cylinder (under the bonnet) there is a small box with 6 screws holding the cover on. Underneath the cover is the adjustment for the clutch play. It sounds like you need more "throw" so your clutch fully disengages when the pedal is pushed all the way down.
Dave, I didn't get the time to do it today, but that seems like just what I need. Will report out.
Thanks much.
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:20 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Finally got to it tonight. Pulled the cover off the clutch lever assembly and immediately knew that only a 7 year old girl with tiny hands could maneuver a wrench in that tight spot.
Instead, I pulled off the reservoir cap and saw that it was low! Added about 1/4 cup of fluid and now it shifts just fine.
I guess the reason I didn't see any clutch fluid on the pedal was because it had already drained out. Our old adage about flying helicopters rings true with Defenders: Don't worry when it's leaking; worry when it's NOT leaking.
Old June 21st, 2014, 05:35 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It's going somewhere!

Where is the clutch biting?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:44 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It's going somewhere!
Maybe from the master cylinder. I changed it a long time ago (10 years?) and it was enough of a PITA that I'll wait a while longer before I replace it again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions