Tough Speaker Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Tough Speaker Question

Ok, I have searched here and nothing has come up that is helpful expect that apparently a direct replacement is the clarion srr1615 speakers. What I wanted to do is buy 2 pairs of MB Quart PCE216. You can get them on ebay for about half the retail price and they are amazing speakers. That said after looking at the specs I have found a couple glaring issues. The Clarion is only 1 7/8" deep while the MB is close to 2 1/2". The Clarion has a diameter of 4 7/8" while the MB is 5 5/8". So heres the real question, is this possible to fit with such difference. I have no desire to hack apart the door but want some great speakers to be played loud. Any suggestions, ideas, or alternatives? Thanks in advance!

Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300
Thats only a 5/8th's difference in depth. Cut a spacer out of MDF and paint it black. Cut your panel to the larger dia. and your set.

Old March 4th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Matthew Bremner
1997 AA Yellow D90
I went with JBL's and they have been great. Have had them in for four years now and have not blown one. I did end up getting a new Clarion Head Unit and a Alpine 500 Watt amp to push the added 12' Sub that I installed with marine grade plexiglass and downfiring. It is an amazing setup but the sub has to be taken out when using the bench seat.

Old March 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
I had MB DKE116 installed in the front doors without a problem. A spacer can be used for deeper speakers. I had marine Alpines in the rear where a 3/4 inch spacer was required. MB should have a website with depth and speaker spec.s.

Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions