Touchscreen stereo install without cutting dash? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

This one by Brandmotion is pretty close. It has a 7.3" wide LCD that can display one image or two 3.6" images side by side. It's $319.95 from Summit Racing.

http://www.brandmotion.com/rear-visi...fltw-7692.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Why not use your IPad/tablet and just add an amp?
Who was making that mounting bar across the top of the dash? Add a suitable ram mount to that and you're good.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:46 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Why not use your IPad/tablet and just add an amp?
Who was making that mounting bar across the top of the dash? Add a suitable ram mount to that and you're good.
I used a really simple amp with a 3.5mm on my old 110. I'm sure there are much better options now, probably bluetooth enabled stand alone amps. But yeah, an iPad mini and an amp will do pretty much anything better than an in dash head unit will.

edit:

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/2851...FcIXHwodUnAMIw
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2016, 08:28 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

I think the simplicity of the defender dash makes it great. The rear view mirror / backup camera option is perfect if you are constantly hitching up stuff, plus it maintains the dash. I have nav in my 4 runner, but I find that I use the iPhone almost every time. Bluetooth, backup camera, and some radio stations are about all I need. Do any of the rear view mirror options include Bluetooth?
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

There are some aftermarket mirrors that have Bluetooth, some even with Nav, but I don't think they're great based on reviews. I ordered a Bluetooth add-on module for my existing head unit (Alpine CDA-117).

The iPhone/iPad mount is a great idea.
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I used a really simple amp with a 3.5mm on my old 110. I'm sure there are much better options now, probably bluetooth enabled stand alone amps. But yeah, an iPad mini and an amp will do pretty much anything better than an in dash head unit will.

edit:

Pyle Pro PFA330BT 90W Amplifier with Bluetooth | Full Compass
I like your solution better than the one I had in mind.
Kicker 40PXIBT50.2 2-channel amplifier/controller with Bluetooth® — 25 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I found the part number for Nissan's full display mirror. It's pretty much exactly the same as the Gentex one in the GMs. It's K6321-3GP00. I'm not sure how to order it from Japan though. It looks like it's an option that costs 60,000 yen on the X-Trail (Rogue), Elgrand, and Serena. Apparently it was suppose to be available in the USA for 2015, but maybe they didn't get gov't certification yet. Looks like Gentex's mirror for GM was approved by the NHTSA just a couple weeks ago (article here.)

Nissan's Rearview Mirror Backup Camera | Nissan USA

Nissan Japan Smart Room Mirror Option

It's on Rakuten Japan here.
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

If anyone's interested, jp-carparts.com can order the Nissan full display rear view mirror. It's in stock. It's $519.39 plus $45 shipping and $22.58 PayPal fee, so $586.97.

One thing to consider though is that it's not a back-up camera. Not unless you mounted the camera low and switched it on when you're backing up. So not ideal I suppose if the purpose of having it is to avoid backing up over children and pets. And as the camera is intended to be mounted high, that wouldn't really be possible on a ST Defender. So I think it's best suited for a SW.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old March 8th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

You know actually, the camera could be installed under the 3rd brake light on a ST. The display mirror could be pretty useful when the top is on.
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:10 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Have used the Ipod/iphone as a head unit and like the result.

I used this cable to charge the iphone/ipad JamLink CAR - iSimple and it has RCA outs that I plugged into this JLAudio remote level control. CL-RLC - Car Audio - OEM Interface - System Expansion - JL Audio that will run any aftermarket amp.

So if you get in my car and turn on the 1971 Becker Europa the antenna goes up and you get radio/cassette out of the single dash speaker. Or flip a small switch and have 900w running through ten hidden speakers controlled by two small black knobs, one for volume and one for sub.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

The Gentex full display mirror installed in the new Cadillac CT6 and XT5 is now available to order. It's $675 list. $526.50 at GM Wholesale Parts | Quality OEM Parts. (See post #17 for info and for the camera.)
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:29 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

The Gentex full display mirror will be available as an aftermarket kit early next year. The SmartBeam automatic high-beam module will also be available as a stand-alone product.

Gentex To Debut New Aftermarket Version Of Its Full Display Mirror(R) At SEMA
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:10 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
What's the best option for a Puma dash? There's more room & the mounting surface is flat, so should be more options?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM
yankee
Bala
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post

edit:

Pyle Pro PFA330BT 90W Amplifier with Bluetooth | Full Compass
How have you mounted your iPad? Do you connect your phone via BT as well to the unit?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:38 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
What's the best option for a Puma dash? There's more room & the mounting surface is flat, so should be more options?
Get a Puma double DIN fascia. You move some switches to the side.

Here is a pricey example. Cheaper options out there.

DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - Puma TDCI Double DIN facia panel
Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:48 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
I just installed this single din 8 inch touch screen android car stereo from Joying. It works great. Dash left unmodified. Bluetooth, Spotify (downloaded songs), FM, navigation, movies, backup camera. Love it.

Old January 9th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
I just installed this single din 8 inch touch screen android car stereo from Joying. It works great. Dash left unmodified. Bluetooth, Spotify (downloaded songs), FM, navigation, movies, backup camera. Love it.

Kind of liking the look of this. Is the screen angle fixed? Can you remove the screen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:03 AM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Kind of liking the look of this. Is the screen angle fixed? Can you remove the screen?

Screen angle is fixed but it's a good angle. You can adjust up and down along the Y axis. Screen is removable but I believe there's a wire you have to unplug.
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:28 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Any chance you have a model #? Looks like they have quiet a few different single din 8" models.
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Screen angle is fixed but it's a good angle. You can adjust up and down along the Y axis. Screen is removable but I believe there's a wire you have to unplug.

So not something you would necessarily take out when you left the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, stereo