Torque Steer - LSD - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Torque Steer - LSD

O.k. here goes. Installed a Detroit TrueTrac in the front. I was expected a little bit of torque steer but am getting a more than I expected.
Front end is tight
I am running stock springs (new)
ES9000 shocks
Bilstein Steering damper.

So I wanted to explore the options on how to counter act this:
1. ? Get a more heavy duty dampner

2. Go with a heavy duty spring set up to reduce body roll hence reducing torque steeer

3. Go with a heavy duty bilstein (this is not my favorite choice as I like playing in the sand and have to deal with washboard roads)

4. any other choices suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Old April 11th, 2009, 01:07 AM
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco
I put TrueTracs front and rear in my 97. I have the stock springs, HD Bilstein shocks and Bilstein steering damper.
I noticed a slight difference in steering, but nothing to complain about.

Are you sure you have a front Truetrac unit and not a rear one?

The parts are the same but they are put together differently. You can convert one to the other. Also the belville preload washer will bed-in after a while reducing the torque effect. You can easily get full torque transfer performance off road by lightly applying the brakes to load a slipping wheel. For this reason you can even replace the spring washer with a plain one. Then the TrueTrac is not even noticable on-road.....BTDT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions