Torn trailing arm bushing - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
If you look at the picture of the "pin", while it is single shear, there is a misalignment spacer machined into the piece that captures the center of the joint, also machined into the "pin" is a safety washer, even if the joint self destructs, the safety washer will hold the cage of the joint. These joints are not under heavy load in a steering tierod application and have a static load rating of over 28,000 pounds.

Please post up one picture of a failed QA1 hiem used in a tiered application.

They are trail tested, tried and true, made in America joints.
I think this is a discussion of best practice vs. practicality. I think we all agree that a best practice and for the most extreme circumstances, mounting a rod end/heim joint in double sheer is ideal. However, as Frank pointed out, in this particular application (tie rod/drag link), the forces applied should not reach a point that would cause failure. If I were in a KOH style custom buggy running 44's and hydro steering on my Dana60 then I may think differently!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Yes, I am being an enginerd with my comments and they are in no way to be considered an attack or criticism.

Although I do think that going with a ball joint instead of a spherical joint to ball joint adapter (?) is kind of an expensive way of doing what a ball joint does already.

But I guess if it's to stay with a standard thread-size for the weld-in bung then it's a solution to a problem!
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Not aken as criticism...but tierods end are more expensive and there's no tube adapter available for the LR tierod end. I could thread a piece of solid tube, but a 4" pice of solid tube is WAYYYYYYYYYY expensive.

I run these on my full hydro steering on my D2..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Like the design. What QA1 hiem is being used?
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/i.../rod-ends.html
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I use the XM series...
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/i...oly-steel.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions