Torn trailing arm bushing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

As with a lot of things on these vehicles it could come down to dumb luck.
Call Justin and see what he thinks. When I ordered mine he told me he was running the Orange with no problems. So far I've had no problems either.
Huff, what upper and lower shock mounts are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Why is the nut threaded so far on the arm in the first pic? Maybe they were too tight?

And isn't there supposed to be a large washer there?? Nevermind I see it now... Very strange. Time for jointed arms!
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Damn that sucks. Now I'm nervous, lol. Check out the trailing arms Jake1996D1 has. Ballistic joint on each end. If I change anything it will be to go to something like that. His mount to the stock chassis mounts using adapters. If I had a set made I'd eliminate the stock chassis mount and use some Ruff Stuff weld on mounts. Eliminating the stock chassis mounts would mean I would eliminate my frame sliders too.
That's a lot of if's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
That's a lot of if's
Yeah, well there's a lot of things to consider when making changes like this. Need to weigh the actual benefits gained vs work involved and any possible negative side effects.
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Yeah, well there's a lot of things to consider when making changes like this. Need to weigh the actual benefits gained vs work involved and any possible negative side effects.
Excuses excuses....
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Excuses excuses....
Mmmmm hmmm. Since one of my springs failed to reseat last trip out I need to address that before I get even longer shocks and jointed arms.
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Phil is right. I only go with Genuine Land Rover bushings. All else are crap.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It sounds like Charles is running the same trails without all of the extra suspension wizardry. If you went back to a more mild setup to increase durability, or would it change your offroad ability.

-Jeff
Sadly, I run the same trails now as I ran before the longer setup but have noticed that I am able to walk through some sections without lockers that I previously needed to push a button for. I would like to think that I can make my setup work without consuming bushings though!
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Mmmmm hmmm. Since one of my springs failed to reseat last trip out I need to address that before I get even longer shocks and jointed arms.
they are called coilovers
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Sadly, I run the same trails now as I ran before the longer setup but have noticed that I am able to walk through some sections without lockers that I previously needed to push a button for. I would like to think that I can make my setup work without consuming bushings though!
For $28 maybe try the originals? (LRSeries has genuine)
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9027.cfm
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...search=NTC9027
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
As with a lot of things on these vehicles it could come down to dumb luck.
Call Justin and see what he thinks. When I ordered mine he told me he was running the Orange with no problems. So far I've had no problems either.
Huff, what upper and lower shock mounts are you running?
I have the Equipe mounts which go up a lot higher than the RTE into the wheelwell. I really like the setup...and I have been talking to Justin. He thought the washer might be too small but it is the one that came with the bushings so unless I get something custom (like Bill noted) then I am somewhat stuck with it.

------ Follow up post added November 26th, 2012 01:34 PM ------

Quote:
they are called coilovers
where did you get your ballistic arms from?

------ Follow up post added November 26th, 2012 01:37 PM ------

Quote:
Why is the nut threaded so far on the arm in the first pic? Maybe they were too tight?

And isn't there supposed to be a large washer there?? Nevermind I see it now... Very strange. Time for jointed arms!
I found that the RT arms seemed to be a tad bit longer than my stock arms but other than that I just torqued the nut to the ridiculous spec and that is where it ended up
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Weird the RT arms I had seemed like they only had 1/8-1/4" thread showing when all was said and done but I did have red poly bushings on those and my rovertym arms. Once again with no issues..

The arms I have now were made by Frank AKA Mongo. We tried a couple different types including the ones in the picture Brett posted with poly ballistic joints on one end and orbital ballistic joint on the other and we found the axle clerance was an issue so he ended up making me the set in the attached pic.. Ballistic orbital joint on the frame end and greaseable poly on the axle end. The set up isnt super complex and if you are any good at fabricating you could probably make them. I had him make me a set because I didnt have time and he gets a good deal at ballistic on all the joints. I also contemplated cutting on the frame mounts and making my own arms a bit longer etc but I am also finishing up a Toyota conversion and just want to get my truck back on the trails. This set up is solid and I cant wait to take it out on the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	311476_4546104728691_717939416_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	61609  
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Huff, I'm actually running stock upper mounts. But I have a pair of RTE uppers waiting to go on if I move to a longer shock and jointed arms.
Jake got his arms from Mongo.
The RT arms are a bit longer. But the Poly bushings are meant to be compressed whereas the stock rubber ones are not. I have 3 small washers on mine between the bushing and arm. This pushes the axle back, rotates the pinion down, and also takes up some thread so the nut doesn't bottom out. I would measure the thread on the arm with the busted bushing and compare it to the amount of stud sticking out of the front of the washer on the other side. It could be that the nut is bottoming out and not compressing the Poly enough.

Nathan, at that pricepoint I HIGHLY doubt they are Genuine. They're probably AllMakes which IMO suck! The ones that failed in middle of their first trip were AllMakes. I'd use a roll of electrical tape before I used AllMakes trailing arm bushings again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1712.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	61610  
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Damn that sucks. Now I'm nervous, lol. Check out the trailing arms Jake1996D1 has. Ballistic joint on each end. If I change anything it will be to go to something like that. His mount to the stock chassis mounts using adapters. If I had a set made I'd eliminate the stock chassis mount and use some Ruff Stuff weld on mounts. Eliminating the stock chassis mounts would mean I would eliminate my frame sliders too.
I made those for Jake, the first run on smaller axle joints from Ballistic were made incorrectly so that style isn't available. I have the the bolt on option for a D90 (the bolts on a 90 frame mount are rotated 22 degrees, were on a D1 they are not) and a weld on frame mount. Maybe Jake can post pic's. Couple thing's about the arms:

Arm is made from .250 Wall 2" DOM Tube
Frame mount is rebuilable Ballistic Fab orbital joint
Axle mount is a replaceable poly bushing
Frame mount uses existing bolt holes, need to be reamed out 1/64th for a larger bolt. The bolt on frame mount also captures the rear of the frame mount with insert and plate for strength.
You get 30 degree's of misalignment at the frame mount which really free's up the
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Nathan, at that pricepoint I HIGHLY doubt they are Genuine. They're probably AllMakes which IMO suck! The ones that failed in middle of their first trip were AllMakes. I'd use a roll of electrical tape before I used AllMakes trailing arm bushings again!
Agreed the AB ones are probably Britpart/Allmakes, BUT the other link for LRSeries had genuine at 14gbp which isn't bad.

------ Follow up post added November 26th, 2012 02:18 PM ------

Huff if you want to order from LRSeries let me know, I'd be interested in maybe picking up a set of genuine as well.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
I made those for Jake, the first run on smaller axle joints from Ballistic were made incorrectly so that style isn't available. I have the the bolt on option for a D90 (the bolts on a 90 frame mount are rotated 22 degrees, were on a D1 they are not) and a weld on frame mount. Maybe Jake can post pic's. Couple thing's about the arms:

Arm is made from .250 Wall 2" DOM Tube
Frame mount is rebuilable Ballistic Fab orbital joint
Axle mount is a replaceable poly bushing
Frame mount uses existing bolt holes, need to be reamed out 1/64th for a larger bolt. The bolt on frame mount also captures the rear of the frame mount with insert and plate for strength.
You get 30 degree's of misalignment at the frame mount which really free's up the
I like the setup and it makes sense for maximum articulation. On the opposite side, how are the road manners? I try to drive my 90 to work (~40 miles each way) about once a week or so plus tow my camp trailer to wheeling events with Rausch being around 200 miles each way so road driving remains a criteria for me
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Here are the new style off the truck. Also a set of D1 Frame mounts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	61613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	61614  

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

those are the original design...thanks for the pic Ian...you pick up some road vibration because of the orbital, but no one has complained
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Here are the new style off the truck. Also a set of D1 Frame mounts.
How are the frame mounts different between a D1/D90?
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Swap over to X-Eng X-Joints and trailing arms and never worry about those bushings again.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions