Tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Angry Tops

OK, I still run the original Besttop and I am about to just through this thing in the trash. Its the middle of summer and its in the 80's,90,s and some days 100's out, and I can't get this thing to stretch over the entire truck. I've tried everything I can think of and it fits fine over the cab and the top is in good shape but on the back 1/2 of the truck I can't get it to stretch enough to get it on the belt rail things. This thing is really pissing me off. I'm kind of thinking about just ordering a Badger top but because of the $ its not really an option until winter. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this stupid besttop fit my truck?

Every year this thing gets tighter and tighter on the truck and this past winter I never could get it on the back belt rails but it didn't matter since its not my DD and it did not effect anything anyways. Now I can't even get the windows to stretch down to the belt rails. Any ideas???

Should I just call Badger on Monday and order a top or try to work with this top?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Call Badger. Ask Chris about the Badger III. It is the least expensive option and is a direct replacement for the Besttop since it doesn't use the gutter kit. If you are prepared to spend a little bit more I would get a Badger II. I have one and I think it is the best option.
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
badger truck cab is the shizzle
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

Will,
I put a badger half cab on my truck and haven't look back since. My old soft top is just collecting dust in the garage. So, I definately suggest a badger, worth every penny.

David
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Yea, I sent them an email earlier. I guess its time to get rid of this besttop crap. When I buy a Badger top I'm going to go ahead and get the badger II. I would love to roll up the sides on those trail rides when its cold early in the morning but then warms up later in the day.

Follow-up Post:

About whats the price one the Badger II? (Without the gutter kit.) I know the price for the Badger I but I like the Badger II better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:04 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

I still use the Besttop as well, and the only way I can get the thing to stretch enough over the belt rails is by using my girlfriend's hair dryer. Just run the dryer over each area you need to stretch, heating up section by section until they all snap on. Worked for me on a chilly autumm day last year, should definitely work in the summer sun.

If not, Badger time.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

The Badger I and II will not work without the gutter kit. The front of the top is designed specifically for the gutters. If you don't want to go the gutter kit route, then the best option is the Badger III. The Badger III is the same top that they used to sell through Rovers North. I have one. Other than the initial fitting, a pain in the rear but not as bad as a Besttop, it worked great. -After the first fitting it stretched a bit and became much easier to put on. The only reason that it's currently on mothballs is that I saw the Badger II and decided it was far superior for my particular needs. Your needs may be different.

What I can recommend is that you call Chris at Badger and talk to him. Have him send you a brochure. Figure out what is the best Badger top for your needs. You will not be dissapointed whatever you choose.

-M
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:45 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Cool

Well I figure if I'm going to buy a new top then I should just go all out on it. I don't mind having to spend a bit extra for the gutter kit. I've been in trucks with it and I thought it improves the top.

I've tried the hair dryer and that did not do to much. I guess I'll be ordering a new Badger II top in a few weeks... I'm done with besttop.

Thanks for the help,
Later

Old August 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Chris @ Badger gave me a tip once that the rubber on the roll cage oxidizes over time and grips the top as you try to pull it down. He suggested spraying the top of the cage with silicon spray, and this way the top will slip on the bars. Never had to try it as I went with the BII, but thought I would mention it.

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions