Top of Rear Door on ST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Top of Rear Door on ST

The paint on the top of my rear door is pretty beat up from the soft top rear window. I was contemplating having it recoated but I figure the window will just rubb all the paint off again. Has anyone put a protective coat on this? I am assuming the rear window did it. It happened before I bought the truck and since I have had it the window has been out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The top gets kind of scratched up just from use, but the soft top doesnt cause much damage aside from rubbing unless something is really out of whack. After all, its mostly the rubber seal from the stiffening bar that touches the tailgate. If yours is all messed up, its more likely from abuse or someone that had a poorly adjusted fiberglass hardtop on there. The lift gate makes a mess of the paint if it rubs the tailgate.
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would say mine is just rubbed thin a bit. nothing too bad. I asked the previous owner and he thought it was from the rear winidow rattling around. not sure. it might predate that owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The window only rattles around if you are too lazy to hook in the stiffening bar. I'm sure plenty of people roll around without the bar, without the bar hooked in, or without the window even zipped. Its hard to say. Of course a little of that "clear bra" stuff you see around now would make a good shield. I certainly wouldnt bother, but then again, my paint isnt exactly worth saving.
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

My truck had some rub spots and a little bit of rust back there from the liftgate of a fiberglass hardtop, as did the rest of the body capping where the top and the truck meet. I masked it off, got rid of the little bit of surface rust, roughed it up with a litte sand paper, and put a coat of DIY bed liner on it. I haven't had the hard top back on since I did it, but it looks a lot better than it did, and now will stand up to a little abrasion if necessary. Just be sure to mask off the holes where the hard top bolts down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, rear door