Top 200 TDi speed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Top 200 TDi speed

So what is the normal top speed? I have a 1.4 TCase and I am 70 mph on the flat but 55 tops on the uphill.

I would love to have pulling power up hill at 60 mph. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
So what is the normal top speed? I have a 1.4 TCase and I am 70 mph on the flat but 55 tops on the uphill.

Bigger injectors, mechanical tune, intercooler, the list can go on.
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Bigger injectors, mechanical tune, intercooler, the list can go on.
Work with me on this and you might find yourself with reasonably priced set of wheels and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:02 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Throw a dura max in the beast!

Kidding. I have the same set up and that sounds about right. I have read about turning up the injector pump and making sure you monitor EGTs and get a bigger intercooler. There is a whole thread dedicated to the injector pump. It's a common pump Bosch VE so you can google it and watch videos on this (dodge ram I think).
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:06 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Throw a dura max in the beast!

Kidding. I have the same set up and that sounds about right. I have read about turning up the injector pump and making sure you monitor EGTs and get a bigger intercooler. There is a whole thread dedicated to the injector pump. It's a common pump Bosch VE so you can google it and watch videos on this (dodge ram I think).
I can't imagine the mild tune which should be a nice boost in power, will really skyrocket his Exhaust temps, thats more when you are pushing the injector pump and turbo to their limits, and i doubt the stock power of this motor anywhere close to the limit. Something to keep in mind is that no smoke is what you want, if it smokes its getting more fuel than air, the trick is to get the maximum amount of air possible to for combustion, and then have the right amount of fuel to match that, anything more than that is just wasted fuel resulting in smoke.

Also, stormer you may want to pull your intake manifold and clean it out (this i can help you with, I've never fiddled with tuning though), over time they get built up with large amounts of carbon deposits, and it really restricts air flow. I pulled my mine off of my Jetta and it made a world of difference in 4th and 5th gear, pulled much harder.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I have the same thing. That is why i am thinking of changing my stock intercooler for a bigger one.
Uphill the 200 tdi is to slow and can't keep up with other traffic. But that is the price we have to pay to drive a small diesel
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Work with me on this and you might find yourself with reasonably priced set of wheels and tires.
Ill help you with whatever you want help with, but I've never tuned a motor, i usually outsource that, but changing an intercooler or pulling the intake manifold is something that is pretty easy to bang out.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I can't imagine the mild tune which should be a nice boost in power, will really skyrocket his Exhaust temps, thats more when you are pushing the injector pump and turbo to their limits, and i doubt the stock power of this motor anywhere close to the limit. Something to keep in mind is that no smoke is what you want, if it smokes its getting more fuel than air, the trick is to get the maximum amount of air possible to for combustion, and then have the right amount of fuel to match that, anything more than that is just wasted fuel resulting in smoke.

Also, stormer you may want to pull your intake manifold and clean it out (this i can help you with, I've never fiddled with tuning though), over time they get built up with large amounts of carbon deposits, and it really restricts air flow. I pulled my mine off of my Jetta and it made a world of difference in 4th and 5th gear, pulled much harder.
Bigger injectors on a 200tdi ? A better course of action would be new injector tips as they have a lifespan of only 80k. Egt's skyrocket with minimal fueling increases beyond stock. I had a defender 200tdi setup with a full width intercooler and pyrometer. The truck would run 75mph all day long (gps showed I frequently hit 85) running stock gearing with a 1.4 tcase and 285's and 4 inches of lift. Egt's would get up to 1200 on long grades but if you backed out for a few seconds they would drop and you could get back on it. It would hold 75mph on grades. Pump timing is also key to decent performance.
Taking the wastegate boost signal from the intake manifold rather than directly off the turbo outlet also makes a big difference. This makes the wastegate open based on true boost @ the intake valves as opposed to what the turbo is making before all the pipes and intercooler. Another easily done item is to shorten the actuator rod between the actuator and the wastegate to squeeze a little moore boost out of the turbo (200 doesn't make much boost). I ran a boost gauge on mine-also plumbed into the intake manifold and never saw more than 12psi . All of this is documented on the web to include "how too's" on this website and others including mine. Tuning a tdi engine should be considered manditory as the stock tune was "detuned" by design and fuel economy and power both typically increase when the engine is properly tuned. Once tuned correctly you will find yourself shifting earlier and not revving the crap out of the drive train in every gear, ie much more driveable/ satisfying experience.
Adjusting the valves every 12k is also key. As they wear they get noisy and don't open as far or as long which results in less fuel air getting pushed into the cylinder each revolution.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Amazingly easy to push EGTs through the roof. Should be a mandatory piece of kit on every diesel

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:33 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:

It should go faster on the flat but untuned and dependant on the steepness of the hill that sounds about right.

Mine's a bit faster -1.22 transfer box, standard axles and 235/85 tyres.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You have a 4 cyl diesel pushing what 5,000 pounds. It is what it is. Yes you can do all the fancy stuff, Doug gave some good ideas, but in the end it is not going to be a v-8. Tire size makes a big difference and gearing. My D90 is much more lively than the 110. Weight makes a difference but the 4.11 compared to the 3.56 changes the truck. I am still able to do 70, no problem. However here in the mountains it does slow down on the large grades no matter what you do.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With 4.11s, 1.4 tcase, and 35s, I can cruise at 70 and it dogs out on hills, but I wouldnt want to go faster anyway.

Semper Fi!
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
It's mostly the uphill speed that is a problem while on the Merritt Parkway/Freeway. Goes from 70 to 50 and dogs it.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:

Hey I wanted those wheels and tires!!! I would adjust pump timing first. I had a 1.6TC in my 110 and it had plenty of speed and power on the hills. It is a little trial and error to find the sweet spot with the inj pump. Are you sure you do not need to bleed the fuel system?
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
can get my 90 on 33's up to 80 pretty easily, although it feels more comfortable under 75. I usually bog down on hills so I guess speed really depends on how big of a hill it is. figured I'd throw in my .02
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Once the dust settles and power returns to CT, we are definitely having a CT get together. I am pretty flexible on location. There are a few good spots here in Fairfield that pour beer.

I have little to no clue on adjusting the inj pump or bleeding fuel system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Hey I wanted those wheels and tires!!! I would adjust pump timing first. I had a 1.6TC in my 110 and it had plenty of speed and power on the hills. It is a little trial and error to find the sweet spot with the inj pump. Are you sure you do not need to bleed the fuel system?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi, top