tools/storage solutions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
tools/storage solutions

Looking for some advice on how to clean up the back of my 90. I am getting kind of tired of the constant disarray in the back of the truck whenever I go anywhere, specifically, tools, spare parts and recovery gear. Not to mention every rock i hit sends the tool box sliding around in the back and if there is stuff in the back I have to remove it all to get to what i want no matter how smart I pack the back. I know there are a lot of lockable bins and accesories but I was curious to hear/see pics of other's solutions to these issues especially that of tool storage. I've seen custom made drawers which are pretty cool! Thanks..

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW
Storage Boxes

I make some storage boxes that may work for you. Just depends on what your needs are. There is a thread under Misc. Chit Chat, Page 2, Storage Box Lengths. It explains most everything. I can also send you additional photos if required.

Let me know should you have any other questions!

I am currently out of 32" long ones but have several 19" long boxes. One behind each seat works great and has more room than just one 32" long one. Just depends on what your looking for though!

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Here is what I did:
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
John Lee
The Toy Boxes are the bomb.

Here's one of my Troy Boxes:

I have a matching one on the driver side as well. Both are chock full.

My two Troy boxes hold my amateur radio, antenna tuner, spare HF and VHF/UHF antennae, Power Tank, pneumatic tools, hand tools, electrical tools, vehicle spares, headlamps, and so on. The two boxes have cleared up a tremendous amount of room in my truck.

Even better, my tools and spares are in the truck 24/7, always within reach. Two days ago my parents' fridge sprung a leak on the copper hard line and my line wrenches and teflon tape were close at hand. The same night, our neighbor asked if I had a tire pump for his daughter's new bicycle and I had my Power Tank handy. Yesterday, a shotgunning partner needed some electrical tape to cover his sticky recoil pad and I had it handy. Another shooting partner had a new SxS and one of the receiver pins was creeping out after a few hundred rounds, so I used my bronze-faced mallet to tap it back in place. Sure, these are stupid little fixes. But before I had the Troys I wouldn't have had stuff like this in my truck 24/7.

I highly recommend the Troy Boxes. Thank you Troy for such a great product.
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
the troy boxes are great, very worth while investment.

I don't have the interior roll bar elements in the truck so that allowed for an even larger box. I wanted a box the size of the entire wheel well so I made my own. The box goes up just shy of the rear sliding window, I probably could fit an average sized 8 year old in there.

Here is a the only picture I could find that somewhat showed the size of the boxes. Another good thing is they can be used as shelving when working in or around the truck. In the photo, I'm cooking lunch and will use the boxes to lay all my ingredients out. Just one more use, the list is always growing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cargo boxes.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	6092  
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Sheki, you are a wang too.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Troys' boxes rock. I have two. In addition, I use a tuffy drawer system. It's king for organization and hiding things in a lockable setup. BUT, it's heavy. Box alone weighs 80 pounds. It does a nice job of allowing for mounting an engel above it.

What can I say... I can't stand disorder.

Only decent pic I have is this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxes.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	6093  
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
I didn't do a locking box, I bought a cheap plastic one from Sears. It's about 2 feet long, 8 inches wide, and 4 inches tall. It holds all my tools, and I used to keep it under the rear bench with a folding shovel. It kept it from sliding and let me use my rear area to hold people and other gear. I kept my jack strap etc. in the battery box.

I doubt I carried the amount of equipment all these guys do, but it worked for me and I never got left on the trail. Plus, it let me take people out with me and left room for anything else I wanted. I guess it depends on what kind of set up you already have, and where you live/going. I live in a really safe area and only traveled to the boonies with friends within a half hour, so I wasn't worried about locking stuff up. I also wasn't taking 4 day trips by myself with no cell service.

"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions