Tools for fly and drive - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2017, 05:23 PM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

Tools for fly and drive

I did a little bit of searching and couldn't really find a thread for this...

I'm going to fly to Virginia from Alabama on Wednesday and hopefully bring a nice Defender home with me. I was going to take a small pelican case full of tools with me and had wondered if anyone had already compiled a common list. I was probably going to stop by a Harbor Freight or other tool supply store and get a high lift jack and stop by an auto parts store and get oils.

The truck is a D90 with a 200Tdi and I need to go about 600 miles.

Instead of taking an entire set of sockets and wrenches with me, if anyone has a list like you just need a 10, 12 and 14mm instead of me taking everything from a 8mm to a 19mm. The goal here is to pack light, but pack what I need.

Anyways, if anyone could help me make a list of "You definitely need" or "you definitely don't need"... that'd be awesome!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

I would highly discourage your plan. A single breakdown will easily run you into a 100/night stay at the local motel, let alone potential damage to a 25+ year vehicle. Yes, others may disagree but imho your buying a used car, that as well with a reliability only outpaced by a donkey. Get it towed. Its not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.
Old August 14th, 2017, 05:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
this is just my opinion, but:
* 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm definitely.
* 15mm, 17mm and 19mm
* 9/16"
* 1 1/16" socket for lug nuts

I don't remember ever using my 16mm, although I think one of the flare fittings might be 16mm.

24mm and 30mm (front and rear arms...probably don't need these, but might as well mention them)

flathead and philips screwdrivers.

Buy gear oil, four gallons of distilled water (for coolant leaks). Tranny fluid. Fill up everything before the trip.

Talk to BRAB on here...he seems to do monumental distances in similar situations, although I think he has more of an assurance about whether or not the trucks can make the distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2017, 05:50 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
-AAA 300 mile tow plan
-3/8" Drive Ratchet socket set
-8 - 22mm Wrenches
-Various Pliers
-Spare belt
-Lug Brace/wrench to change spare tire.
-3 gallons of 15-40 motor oil (can dump in motor, trans, transfer case or axles if you are in a pinch)
-3 gallons of water or Antifreeze
-Ideally a few feet of 5/8" heater hose + hose clamps

Just do a good inspection of the truck, and check all oils. If it is gonna break, it was gonna break anyway.

Whenever we do trips, we have 2 sighs of relief, first is when we are within 300 miles of home (AAA), and the 2nd is when we actually arrive home.
Old August 14th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Shiftonthefly1
Ben
97 Disco

I have to assume if he's buying a Defender a 100 dollar hotel room isn't a major concern. Just my assumption.

I have a set from Craftsman that is a universal socket. So it fits rounded bolts and square bolts 12point and 6 point. I use that set more than anything. It's small. Light and cheap. Fluids and basics like it was already said.

Definitely AAA or the like. Can of fix a flat too. I have done this many times. I've been lucky most of the time. If it brakes down your in the USA not Bengazi. So take it in stride as part of the adventure. When it makes it you know it's a reliable rig. If not...you'll know what you need to fix.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:00 PM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
A lot of folks in va. Where is it? Maybe someone can lend a hand or any unique tools to get you on the road.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
great advice on AAA and using 15W40 instead of gear oil...never thought of that.

Oh...and bring foam earplugs or very tight earbuds to listen to music along the drive while blocking external noise.

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2017 07:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
A lot of folks in va. Where is it? Maybe someone can lend a hand or any unique tools to get you on the road.
That's a really good point. I'm very close to DCA. Many others close to Dulles.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:04 PM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

I've had my old heavily modified STi blow a turbo (like destroyed impeller and exhaust turbine shot down the downpipe and got wedged in the exhaust) in New Orleans and managed to limp it most of the way home all but 100-ish miles with nothing but a leatherman.

If it breaks down along the way I'll rent a truck and dolly from U-haul or whatever. It's not a big deal if something happens that's a total show stopper, I'd just like to have a good set of useful tools with me in case there's something that happens along the way and I can fix it.

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2017 06:06 PM ------

I'll be driving from Dulles to Huntsville, Alabama. I went ahead and copied down everyones contact information on the birmabright brotherhood website. If it takes me a week to get it home it's not the end of the world. I'm a pretty competent mechanic (although I have zero experience with diesels). I know the Rover V8 like the back of my hand but this is my first experience with a 200Tdi or diesel of any kind.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Duct tape. Jbweld, some electrical wire and connections, screwdrivers.

Just the kinds of things a well heeled terrorist would carry....

Birmabright brotherhood.

Please tell us you did go look at this truck before you bought it... if eBay you can still back out.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:09 PM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
this is just my opinion, but:
* 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm definitely.
* 15mm, 17mm and 19mm
* 9/16"
* 1 1/16" socket for lug nuts

I don't remember ever using my 16mm, although I think one of the flare fittings might be 16mm.

24mm and 30mm (front and rear arms...probably don't need these, but might as well mention them)

flathead and philips screwdrivers.

Buy gear oil, four gallons of distilled water (for coolant leaks). Tranny fluid. Fill up everything before the trip.

Talk to BRAB on here...he seems to do monumental distances in similar situations, although I think he has more of an assurance about whether or not the trucks can make the distance.
Definitely bringing 9/16th's so I can remove the u-joints if I need to tow it. I've got 24/30mm on my list as well as a hub socket.

Are defender wheel bearings the same as Disco I wheel bearings? I've got a boatload of those... damn water crossings!

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2017 06:10 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Duct tape. Jbweld, some electrical wire and connections, screwdrivers.

Just the kinds of things a well heeled terrorist would carry....

Birmabright brotherhood.

Please tell us you did go look at this truck before you bought it... if eBay you can still back out.
I haven't bought it yet. I'm buying it from a member here and he's been kind enough to provide me with every picture I could possibly imagine. I'm going to fly out there Wednesday and inspect it, if it's everything I've ever wanted I'm going to drive it back home.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:27 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Ship it. Or get AAA, drive it somewhere fun within a few hours of where you're buying it, & then ship it.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:44 PM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

I was just checking with U-haul and a 10' box truck and a dolly is right at $500.

Part of the fun to me is driving the truck home. If worst case scenario I can always pull it with the U-haul and maybe smuggle some people in the box.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:29 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Just drive it man. Start the adventure.

My $.02, get an IR temp gun for piece of mind. I second the ear plugs or some good ear buds to listen to tunes.

Bought a Perentie from UD and drove it straight home - 538 miles - no issues. Was even scolded for even thinking about brining tools. Was told the only tools I needed were a cooler and sunglasses.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Dude, don't listen to the fuddy duddys who are too fearful to drive a Rover more than 15 miles from their home. Hell, Chris Snell bought a Thithonus sight unseen shipped it to Texas, flew down picked it up from the port and drove bad boy all the home (on BFE dirt backroads) to Washington State. And there are many others who have done the same, if not further. Besides there is a shit ton of people in VA, NC, SC, and Ga on your way back to Alabama. Remember pictures or it didn't happen.
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:38 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Bought a 110 and later a 90 in UK and drove them both to Stuttgart. A few issues, but no show stoppers. 600 mile trips. Crossing 5 countries. You have a plan, and a back up plan. Enjoy the new truck.

RiverMike should be shipping my 8500 Euro cheapy 110 PU truck soon. Will pick it up wherever it lands, and enjoy a 2.5NA trip down the east coast to the Keys.

Sunglasses, cooler, and antiperspirant.
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:40 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

2nd, just drive it home. I bought mine in NC sight unseen and drove it to Fl. It was leaking everywhere. If it's not leaking that means it's empty. Lol. Keep an eye on it and top off the fluids as needed. As others have said AAA, basic tools and spare parts, belt , hoses, duct tape. The worst thing that can happen is renting a truck and trailer. The best part about ownership is the thrill off not knowing if you will make it home. Life is not about the destination, it's about the Journey. The 200 TDI I a simple engine. If you have skills you can figure it out. Good luck and God Speed.
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:50 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I'm about midway, feel free to call anytime if need be. Otherwise, basic tools, a shop manual, the terrorist list Chris posted, add zip ties and a ratchet strap...
Enjoy the ride!! I've done the same numerous times cross country, and made it without issue most times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
The older I get, the less inclined I am for unplanned motorcar adventures.

I'm right off I-81 in Virginia if you run into trouble the first 2-3 hours of the trip.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:19 PM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

htt p://i.img ur.com/yUl5lUH.jpg -- Won't let me post a link cause I am a noob on this forum.

Alright, I rummaged threw a few of my tool chests and picked out stuff that I know I would probably want on my Disco.

- Ginormous axle nut tool
- 36mm socket
- 27mm impact
- 19mm impact
- 10mm to 19mm deep well 3/8th drive
- 10mm to 18mm shallow well 3/8th drive
- 3/8th drive adapters and swivel
- 5.5mm to 13mm splined 1/4 drive socket set
- 1/4 inch swivel and adapters
- 1/4 wobble head ratchet
- 3/8 stubby and long wobble head ratchet
- 3/8 and 1/4 extension
- 1/2 mini breaker
- 3/8 drive torque wrench
- 9/16s standard and ratcheting wrench
- 8mm to 19mm fixed head ratcheting wrench set
- IR temp gun
- Fluke Multimeter and themocouple
- small and large crecent wrench
- Bag of small zip ties
- 8 pair gloves
- mini sledge hammer
- Pick set
- triangle mini file
- small and large punch
- worst circlip pliers ever
- lock wire tool and wire
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire stripper
- Needle nose locking plier
- Mini channel lock
- Side cutters
- Phillips and flat head screwdrivers
- 14 gauge wire
- Electrical tape
- Tiny vice not included

All of this fits in a pelican case and weighs under 40lbs

I'll pick up fluids and a high lift jack somewhere not far from Dulles.
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:43 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Looks like a fairly comprehensive list. I'd add crimp on spade terminals and blade fuses to replace the glass ones in a possibly corroded box.
I bought my 110 from a shady British outfit sight unseen-- the horror. it shipped into Philadelphia. I Then drove it from PA to ME, over 600 miles of some of the worst, congested A-hole ridden highway in the E under cover of darkness with its British plates....Changed all fluids and brought A LOT of 15w-40 and 90W. Sure wished those original seats reclined all the way! I second the Birmabright Brotherhood membership just in case....Good luck. Enjoy, If you KNEW it was going to make it, it wouldn't be as much fun

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions