Tool Recommendations? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM
irishwoody97
Woody
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White

Tool Recommendations?

So, being new to the community and all, and new to automotive mechanics, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for what tools, equipment and supplie to buy as I start on the long, never-ending journey of 110 ownership. I'd be interested in any ideas on individual tools or equipment, good sets available, best places to buy, and a priority of what to buy, as, like most of us, I am not independently wealthy, and some (if not most) of my money will be going to parts.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, and I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this thread.

Woody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
if you search here in the forum there are a few good lists ... you are better spending your money on quality individual tools that you'll need rather than a kit of 10,000 tools you'll never need.

I would get a decent trolly jack and sturdy axel stands to lift and support the truck ... safety first!

I'm slowly buying snap-on tools from ebay but there are many other brands that make high quality tools in the US.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
PB blaster, big hammer, breaker bar, vice grips, adjustable wrench, jack, socket/wrench set, electric impact gun, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwoody97 View Post
So, being new to the community and all, and new to automotive mechanics, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for what tools, equipment and supplie to buy as I start on the long, never-ending journey of 110 ownership. I'd be interested in any ideas on individual tools or equipment, good sets available, best places to buy, and a priority of what to buy, as, like most of us, I am not independently wealthy, and some (if not most) of my money will be going to parts.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, and I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this thread.

Woody
This is a very encouraging post, Woody.
Being self reliant is the only way to go (with a little help from your on-line friends).
You didn't mention if you had a workshop, or what engine is powering your 110.
Sears often has a post Holiday sale on hand tools.
Metric, SAE sets are a good start.
Floor Jack...
You might want to find a basic whitworth set later if needed.
Large roll around tool chests are nice, but do take up room.
Don't forget a set of Workshop manuals and a parts list for your vehicle.
Do some reading before breaking out the wrenches!

Good Luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A large metric socket set in 3/8th and 1/2 drive. Make sure you get six point sockets, both six and twelve is preferable. Craftsman is fine, buy used if need be. Good 1/2 drive breaker bar. Good 1/2 drive torque wrench (bar type is fine). Metric gear wrenches set from 8mm to 19mm no gaps. Metric wrenches up to 22mm one 6 point set, one twelve point. Set of channel locks in various sizes. Set of vice grips. Dykes. Wire stripper thing. Good quality snap ring pliers. 1/2in drive electric impact and a socket set to match. A good corded drill with good bits up to 1/2in. Rivet and rivnut tool. 1 1/8th wrench (for the oil pan drain) -- I have a set of Set of large torx bits if you have an NAS. Good screwdriver set. Big hammer. A decent punch and chisel set and tap and die set are nice, but not critical right away.

Good box to keep it all in.

With the above you can do 99 percent of jobs on a defender. Craftsman is good enough. My good tools are Kobalt from lowes back when the same people who made snap on made them but I have a lot of craftsman too.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
irishwoody97
Woody
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White

Tool Recommendations?

rdavisinva:

I don't have my own shop, but have a place to store tools, and can use military base auto hobby shops when needed.

My One Ten is running a 3.5L Rover V8 (off an '86 Range Rover), with an LT85 transmission.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

I also am buying snapon used on eBay and if I buy new usually S&K.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
I also am buying snapon used on eBay and if I buy new usually S&K.
find a local shop that has a snappon truck, find out which days he visits and get his number. The trucks always have used tools on the truck and they are usually cheaper then you can find anywhere else. That is just a recommendation if you want good tools but don't want to spend a lot for new prices. I just bought an impact, drill four batteries two chargers for $300 and they are in awesome shape!
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Ron put up a pretty good list. Nobody can really tell you everything, a lot of it comes down to what you discover you need when you start a job, but his list will allow you to at least make do and get through just about anything, certainly anything that someone just learning is likely to be diving into.

With tools you really get what you pay for. Craftsman, Kobalt & Husky are all fine for some things like sockets and combination wrenches, but I definitely recommend Snap-On and Matco for Ratchets, Precision Tools etc.

Harbor Freight is great for consumables and low-use tools, but you'll be surprised at how badly cheap companies can screw up something as simple as a screw driver or pry bar...ask me how I know. haha

Remember to weigh the convenience when spending money. All these tool companies have lifetime warranty, but for example, I'd spend more for a Snap-On ratchet that I won't break rather than save money and have to run to sears in the middle of the job because I broke another one of their cheap-ass ratchets. (FWIW, the old original Craftsman Ratchets were great, it's only the ones made in the last 15 or so years that are real junk.)

Also, if you have the space, a Parts Washer and an Air Compressor are invaluable.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If you have nothing I would say just buy the most complete Craftsman set you can afford, they'll work fine for what you're doing. Everything else you can buy on an as needed basis. Its not like you're going to be rebuilding engines and transmissions next week. Start simple.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Ron's list is a good start point. One thing to consider as you start down the path is keeping a basic but comprehensive version of your tool kit on board. Over the years if you find yourself using a tool more than once a version should be on board. The end result-with discipline and as you learn more & more about which tool works best for which application-is a good ability to repair wherever. The discipline is critical though bc you can quickly end up with a significant amount of weight.

As a novice I started out that way and have settled on a single pelican 1510 that can, for the most part, do anything within my capabilities on my Disco.

You'll also find you will organize your tools and learn their quirks quickly if you use that kit for maint and repair. Comes in handy when its dark, wet, and cold.
If your ever hitting Ft Myer let me know, I am there periodically when using one of Mr Milton's lifts is preferable to laying on my back.
R
Ray
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Looks like craftsman is having a sale, here are some things to look at.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00938108000P
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00938165000P

This one has tons of stuff, and I think you'll find a lot of stuff you'll never use, but good to have when you need it.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00933182000P
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'll point out that on a 83 a lot of what you are going to see is SAE not metric at least on mine that seems to be the case.

I miss our auto craft center the Navy closed it when the sequester hit way back when and have never reopened it.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:27 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Metric gear wrenches set from 8mm to 19mm no gaps.
Advance auto is having an ok sale on the gear wrenches. $29 for a set:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rm=gear+wrench

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...nch#fragment-1

They skip a few that might be needed, no 11, but you can use a 7/16 if you buy both, same with no 16mm, but you can use the 5/8. Only missing might be 18mm. Does a defender use an 18 anywhere?
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post

They skip a few that might be needed, no 11, but you can use a 7/16 if you buy both, same with no 16mm, but you can use the 5/8. Only missing might be 18mm. Does a defender use an 18 anywhere?
I bought these a few months ago, actually love them and love being able to return them to advanced auto if they break.
Old December 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post

18mm is only on seatbelt bolts in my experience, not sure I have ever seen a 16mm. You can live without that, living without an 11mm sucks. I ended up buying an 11mm separate from the set.

Let me reiterate that on an old truck you really want 6 point sockets and wrenches. Many cheaper sets only come with 12 and they round everything off and make life harder. Gear wrench is fine once you have stuff loose, but always start with a six point tool to break it free.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I thought I had used some 16mm somewhere on a land rover when installing something in the suspension. Maybe the bolts that hold the lower end of the shocks on a D2? Maybe Defender doesn't have anything.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
With tools you really get what you pay for. Craftsman, Kobalt & Husky are all fine for some things like sockets and combination wrenches, but I definitely recommend Snap-On and Matco for Ratchets, Precision Tools etc.

Harbor Freight is great for consumables and low-use tools, but you'll be surprised at how badly cheap companies can screw up something as simple as a screw driver or pry bar...............Remember to weigh the convenience when spending money. All these tool companies have lifetime warranty, but for example, I'd spend more for a Snap-On ratchet that I won't break rather than save money and have to run to sears in the middle of the job because I broke another one of their cheap-ass ratchets. (FWIW, the old original Craftsman Ratchets were great, it's only the ones made in the last 15 or so years that are real junk.)

Also, if you have the space, a Parts Washer and an Air Compressor are invaluable.
All good advice here.
The quality of Sears/Craftsman dropped off the face of the earth overthe past 10-15 years and are right around the same quality as the shit you'll find at Home-D or Lowes (Rigid/Kobalt). TOTAL CRAP. Not even worth bringing back to the store even if they offer a refund. not worth your time. Maybe these kinds of tools are good for a "mobile set" where you're not afraid to lose them or for building an Ikea coffee table, but I don't even make a living with tools and I can't deal with the poor quality.

Also, you'll find "complete mechanics tool sets" in bundles at Sears/Lowes etc. containing over 200 pieces, but 188 peices that you'll never use (duplicate hex keys, odd socket sizes etc.)

Leastonce and others were spot on..........Find used Snap-On sets if you can.

I have an ancient Snap-On 7-drawer tool box top from a yard sale. Guessing its from the 1960s or 70s. the guy pulled it out from the basement (dirt) of a barn and there was litterally 20+ years of dirt lodged in every bit of it. Pressure-washed, addressed some surface rust with Rustoleum, oiled the bearings in the drawers and it's good to go for another 20 years. Good luck with trying that with a bread-box-thin-gauge faux stainless toolbox they sell at Lowes.

I have tons of Craftman hand tools. Those are the tools I keep in the house for small projects and that I'll lend out, 'cause they suck anyway.

One more thing aside from my rant on tool quality.......several Easy-out sets of various sizes or some type of bolt extraction kit and an air chisel for dealing with all the frozen fasteners you'll be coming across.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Here is a great resource for Tool information, they have incredible deals in the classified section. A lot of great advice from mechanics who work with their tool for a living.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Here is a link on Truck Tools(Sanp On/Mac/Matco) rebranded thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...rebranded+list

I am a Store Manager of Lowe's and can tell you that Kobalt tools are of good quality and we will trade out any broke piece at any of our stores no question asked at all. It is our mission a company to become a mechanics destination for tools and easy replacements. We have a ton of deep discounts going on now after Christmas.
Here is a link to a 34 piece SAE and Metric wrench set that sold for $99, currently $29:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_498909-22328...alt&facetInfo=

hope this helps out....
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
My list of "most useful tools" so far:

1. Hi lift jack (or cheap chinese clone)
2. MAPP gas torch
3. Ratchet Straps (at least 4)
4. Sawzall
5. BFH (Big Freaking Hammer)
6. Full set of metric and SAE wrenches and sockets up to 1" or 25mm.
7. hub socket wheel bearing wrench (54mm)
8. adjustable wrench
9. breaker bar and black iron pipe extension
10. 27mm deep socket
11. 30mm deep socket
12. Electric Impact Driver
13. Electric Impact Wrench
14. #4 phillips driver
15. Hand riveter
16. Set of philips and flathead hand drivers
17. Cold chisel
18. Needle nose pliers
19. Reversible snap ring tool

I'm poor so I buy cheap tools. They seem to work well enough for me.

I would like to get a driveshaft tool eventually but I seem to do ok without one for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions