Tool Recommendations? - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I've been checking CL lately for used SO tools. A nice black MAC Tech 1000 bottom cabinet (tool chest) has been popping up regularly and local for $1,750. Same guy has like three other nice SO chests for between $2,000-$2,500 and none have sold based on the fact that they're still around. What do you think a good deal on the Mac Tech 1000 box would be? It's an 11-drawer model? Thinking $1,500 would be good.
I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a Mac box. I bought an older Snap On triple bank on Craigslist for $800.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 07:56 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post

Next up is socket wrenches. I have a kit of Stanley's (3/8 and 1/4) that are complete garbage. I'm hoping to replace them with gently used snap on (3/8 and 1/2").

For 1/2" drive stuff, I wouldn't bother with Snap On, I would only buy the 3/8" drive stuff from them and spend that money on some nice ratchets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What would you buy instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
For 1/2" drive stuff, I wouldn't bother with Snap On, I would only buy the 3/8" drive stuff from them and spend that money on some nice ratchets.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
What would you buy instead?
I think he's saying you don't need 1/2" as the 3/8 are strong enough and by avoiding duplication you can buy better ratchets with the money you save.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I still have trouble envisioning your coffee can and how that would be better than a rail. Do you have photos? I just sold our 3D printer and I miss it but had to as we have no room for it and material cartridges are $1K a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Do any of you guys have access to a lathe? I think the ultimate socket carrier would be a replica of the Illy coffee can, but more sturdy and turned from a solid piece of aluminum. If I had a 3-D printer, I would also make a plastic tray insert that had little indentions to hold the sockets. You would put the sockets in the plastic holder and slide the whole thing into the can.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I like that idea but if would be afraid they would slide out. Plus you can't see them. Even cooler would be a soft case that had metal rails mounted to it so that you could unroll it and have them sit up neatly for access. I'm sketching on a waterproof tool roll that I am considering having A local company contract manufacture. Thoughts opinions and suggestions wanted so PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ah. Makes sense. And no need for 1/4" then either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I think he's saying you don't need 1/2" as the 3/8 are strong enough and by avoiding duplication you can buy better ratchets with the money you save.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:57 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I really like the 1/4" stuff and use it all the time much more than my 1/2" stuff.

I would slightly overlap the 2 for example I would go down to 10mm on the 3/8" side and up to around 13mm in the 1/4" but no need have duplicates of everything as once you get above 13 or 14mm you will want the 3/8 and if you need a 8 mm 1/4" works better.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Dave. What about SAE sets?
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:11 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I carry 1/2" drive metric and SAE, and 1/4" drive metric and. SAE. I also carry metric and SAE Gearwrench sets.
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Just depends on what you are working on. I was just using the metric as an example but I do the same thing with my standard set.
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
[QUOTE=Jymmiejamz;502663]I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a Mac box. I bought an older Snap On triple bank on Craigslist for $800.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 07:56 AM ------

THanks, good to know. Craigs lits is funny. 90% comprised of pikeys looking for $0.90 on the retail dollar for crap and 10% decent deals. Not to mention I always assume that everyone is a scammer or the item is stolen and let them convince me they are legit.

I know that some people accuse Snap-On fans of drinking SO's Coolaid, but I definitely know that the Mac boxes are not the same quality as SO. Still, this is a pretty nice box and I doubt it would go for $500.....
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/4287085093.html

I imagine this box is pretty clapped out for $100, but this seems like a good deal
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/4306304281.html

I'm not looking at spending more than $1,000 on a nice lower rollaway, maybe a bit more if it has side cabinets. I haven't seen a decent Snap-On for less than $2,000, but I guess I just need to be patient. Frankly, since I'm not making my living with my tools like some of you, I could absolutaly get away with a Mac or Cornwell box and it doesn't need to be shiney and new, I don't care about blingy casters and stainless steel accents. The only thing that drives me nuts about cheap boxes is the slides and the detents that cause you to have to jerk the drawers open and the tools end up at the back of the drawer.
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You must have looked at some real cheap crappy boxes if you have to jerk them open. Snap-on is a nice box and all but for your average home user a craftsman box with ball bearing slides works just fine.

That is what I have at home now days because it fits my space and it is loaded heavily with mac, snap-on and assorted tools and the drawers open and close just fine.

Nothing wrong with wanting a snap-on, Mac, Matco or whatever you want but lets be real for most people it is overkill and they would be better off spending the extra money on some nice tools.
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Stop into a local shop and ask what day the SO guy stops int. They might even have his number.

-Jeff

X2, plus they will usually deal on stuff, both new and used. Sure beats paying MSRP plus shipping from snapon.com

Craigslist, Ebay, etc. are still the best bargains usually, although I stole my Snap-On Roll-Away from the Matco guy, everytime I see one advertised anywhere else people are asking almost twice what I got it for, so you never know what kind of deals you can stumble into with those guys.
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I was just saying that there is no need for Snap On 1/2" drive stuff. I would just recommend getting yourself a set of deep well 1/2" drive impact sockets. Doesn't matter what brand in my opinion. I use an SK set that goes from 10mm to 38mm. I rarely use shallow 1/2" drive sockets.
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just got the fancy Snap On tool rails and they work impressively well. By far the best. The sockets lock into place until you release them.
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Ah. Makes sense. And no need for 1/4" then either?
Ive a completely different take on this - based on motorcycle building, professional bench time, and years of employment with a major tool company

My shop sockets are 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" (NO 3/8" in the shop) - the 1/4" & 1/2" overlap from 10mm to 14mm and work well together, similar for the 1/2" and 3/4" overlap at 26mm-32mm. On fasteners in the overlap range you have the ability to select drive size based on access and torque needed and cover the most common sizes on a Defender as well.

3/8" in the truck as field tools - decent construction but nothing fancy as they spend more time in transit than in use.

Three wrench sets minimum - open, combo, box end, with at least one of them being offset. Overlap the common sizes and the range from 8mm-32mm with one set going smaller and the other set going larger (I like to run the open to the larger sizes and the box end at the smaller range with the combination set spanning the whole gamut)
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I swapped out my 2.5NA for a 200Tdi using only a 3/8 ratchet, a hand full of sockets, a few spanners, 2 screwdrivers and an engine hoist. All Craftsman other than the HF engine hoist. There isn't anything that couldn't be done on these trucks other than removing the axle drain and fill plug with a 3/8" ratchet.
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:35 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Tool Recommendations?

Spent a few months looking for a deal. Was able to pick this up Sunday for about 1/2 of what others on Craigslist were selling for.
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:46 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
There isn't anything that couldn't be done on these trucks other than removing the axle drain and fill plug with a 3/8" ratchet.
No way in hell I could have removed my FCA without something 1/2" or larger. I had a 1/2" breaker bar and even then it was a workout. I've exploded a 3/8 Snap On ratchet on less.

My advice would be high quality ratchets, and whatever grade sockets. Everything from 6mm to 30mm. Also some ratcheting box wrenches. Also HF has these long box wrenches that come in a set up to like 26mm? Those things have been HUGE for me.

Get these, they ROCK for suspension work. They can get in places a ratchet can't sometimes and the length of them allows you to get some torque.
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-piec...set-47067.html
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:51 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Craftsman 3/8 ratchet blew out on me yesterday on lower shock mount.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions