Tool Recommendations? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2013, 12:36 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
competing with HarborFreight, their downward spiral is in full swing.
I agree. HF has a lifetime warranty on hand tools, just like Sears. Used to be that Craftsman tools were better than the ROC junk. The ROC junk has gotten better and Craftsman quality has deteriorated to the point that I now buy hand tools at HF. Same crappy tools but at lower prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
Not sure if this matters to anyone, but a lot of the Craftsman hand tools that used to have "Forged in USA" stamped on them are now being phased out and replaced with Made in China stuff. Still has the lifetime warranty but in a sense fooling the public and trading on a long reputation that no longer holds. Another implication is that if you turn in an old and broken "Made in USA" tool under their warranty you'll get a "Made in China" replacement.
Not questioning that some tools are outsourced, but every socket (1/4", 3/8", 1/2" in stubby and long and in 6 pt,12 pt, hex and torx) and extension I own is stamped "Made in the U.S.A." regardless if 1 or 25 years old. One socket from last month was stamped "U.S.A." However, for wrenches, the set from 25 years ago are stamped "Forged in U.S.A" where the new Professional line are stamped "U.S.A". Thinking if marked U.S.A., they are not coming from China, but would like to know id this is not the case. New and old style ratchets do not have U.S.A on them. Older pliers are stamped U.S.A (or Japan) and the new stuff, even the Professional line, are marked China. I guess stamping China is to expensive. LOL. Sticking with the older stuff here.
Pics below compare tools from 25 years ago to within the last year or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3460555618.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	86914   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2586370241.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	86915  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-558467975.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	650.2 KB
ID:	86916   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-894908414.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	86917  

Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Anybody ever try JH Williams (Snap-on Taiwan) impact sockets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Some of the Williams stuff is USA, just depends on the item. Quality has always been top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to get them.

http://www.toolsdelivered.com has good prices, but some of the more obscure items get drop shipped from Williams and take a bit longer.

-Jeff
Thanks Jeff!
Amazon wanted $69.43 shipped for what I wanted.
Toolsdelivered $44.74 shipped for the same things.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:37 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Some of the Williams stuff is USA, just depends on the item. Quality has always been top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to get them. http://www.toolsdelivered.com has good prices, but some of the more obscure items get drop shipped from Williams and take a bit longer. -Jeff
Thanks x2 Jeff - I need some new ratchets and they have a nice selection for a fair price.

One thing I know about Taiwan from the bike industry is that some of their factories make some really nice items. I know a steel frame I bought a while ago had really nice looking welds and the fit and finish was up there too. From that I am guessing there are some factories over there that make some really nice tools too.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I just learned about Williams when I was searching for another Heavy Duty Work Bench, they are a Snap-On Company. That isn't to say they are the same quality, but I doubt that Snap-On would so prominently advertize their association if they didn't have faith in the quality.

I just noticed that Ingersoll Rand also offers Impact Sockets at very reasonable prices (all over eBay right now). I have no experience with IR Sockets, but all their Air and Electric Tools are top notch, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
My favorite wrenches by far are my Bahco wrenches. I bought them on amazon for under $50 and they are great. My only complaint is that they only came in standard, which is odd for a Swedish company. From what I understand, they are made by JH Williams, and Bahco is owned by Snap On. Anyone that complains about the sharp edge on Snap On wrenches needs a set of Bahco wrenches.
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:46 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Well http://www.toolsdelivered.com appears to be a middle man without inventory. Oh well, found them on EBay for a few bucks more.
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Flank drive wrenches or regular? What's the difference?
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks. Is it preferable?
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Yes ... it loads the nut where it has most material and strength ... even if the nut has rounded corners a flank drive should grip firmly.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Flank drive wrenches or regular? What's the difference?
Flank Drive Plus is nice too. I've used them on brake lines that a Mac line wrench was rounding off.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/knipex/DSC05782.jpg
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The only thing I don't like about Snap-on tools is buying them. I'm not buying three roller cabs filled with tools, so I don't have a regular Snap-on guy. I just moved here so I don't know the local reps and either Snap-on's "find a rep" tool is broken or the sales guys just don't care. Wish there was an easier way besides ordering direct online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The only thing I don't like about Snap-on tools is buying them. I'm not buying three roller cabs filled with tools, so I don't have a regular Snap-on guy. I just moved here so I don't know the local reps and either Snap-on's "find a rep" tool is broken or the sales guys just don't care. Wish there was an easier way besides ordering direct online.
I'm sure they have rules about selling outside of a region, but PT Schram sells Snap On tools now.

I'd just stop by whatever dealership is near you and find out the day and time the Snap On truck comes around. Ours comes every Thursday around 9 am.
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just picked up a minty set of 10 metric snap on flank drive plus ratchet wrenches for $240. I'm hoping I didn't overpay?

Next up is socket wrenches. I have a kit of Stanley's (3/8 and 1/4) that are complete garbage. I'm hoping to replace them with gently used snap on (3/8 and 1/2").

I think the Stanley set may have been flawed in manufacturing because they would always fall out of the box so I threw it away and bought those rubber socket rails from EE but they will never stay on those either. I'm amazed I've gotten this far with such garbage tools.
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I've been checking CL lately for used SO tools. A nice black MAC Tech 1000 bottom cabinet (tool chest) has been popping up regularly and local for $1,750. Same guy has like three other nice SO chests for between $2,000-$2,500 and none have sold based on the fact that they're still around. What do you think a good deal on the Mac Tech 1000 box would be? It's an 11-drawer model? Thinking $1,500 would be good.

Also, took the advice on here and picked up a set of Williams metric deep impact sockets and aside from the difficulty reading the sizes because they are flat black, I thought they were a good value for $65 for 12-22mm plus 24&26mm.
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The plastic socket rails from EE are total garbage. They're fine for a tool chest in a shop but horrible on the trail. Along with Equal tire balancer, they're the only thing I ever bought at EE that totally sucked.

/
/
/
/
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I just picked up a minty set of 10 metric snap on flank drive plus ratchet wrenches for $240. I'm hoping I didn't overpay?

Next up is socket wrenches. I have a kit of Stanley's (3/8 and 1/4) that are complete garbage. I'm hoping to replace them with gently used snap on (3/8 and 1/2").

I think the Stanley set may have been flawed in manufacturing because they would always fall out of the box so I threw it away and bought those rubber socket rails from EE but they will never stay on those either. I'm amazed I've gotten this far with such garbage tools.
every socket rail I've tried is garbage .... i'm thinking of the getting to snap on 3/8 spring loaded because Iv'e tried them and they seem good ... but I have the 1/4 version and thats crap.
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Do any of you guys have access to a lathe? I think the ultimate socket carrier would be a replica of the Illy coffee can, but more sturdy and turned from a solid piece of aluminum. If I had a 3-D printer, I would also make a plastic tray insert that had little indentions to hold the sockets. You would put the sockets in the plastic holder and slide the whole thing into the can.

/
/
/
/
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
or a sewing machine .... http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13881

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions