Tool Recommendations? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2013, 11:03 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I would still reccomend getting a craftsmen set, and as stated before the ratchets arent the best, and they have annoying hex keys and stuff included, but just replace the ratchets with used mac/matco ratchets and you'll have a good kit. Remember when your snap on mac or match tool breaks in the middle of the job you have to wait for the truck to come around, if the craftsmen one breaks, you take a ride to sears. They all have stuff that will break, some far more often than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I was in Sears yesterday and wasn't all that impressed with the post Christmas sale on tools, although they did have a 300-pc mechanics tool set in an ABS plastic chest that was $199, marked down from $299. All the basics were there. Not a bad place to start for the OP.
That's what I keep in my Defender. I went to Tractor Supply to get a couple of other items such as more screw drivers, a pry bar, and a mini sledge.

Another good tool to have and more importantly know how to use, is a digital multimeter.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:28 AM
irishwoody97
Woody
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
You probably want 3/8 not 3/4 drive. I have a single 3/4 socket for something but that's it. Mostly it's 3/8 and 1/2 for bigger stuff.
Meant 3/8...too early and before coffee!

------ Follow up post added December 29th, 2013 11:33 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's what I keep in my Defender. I went to Tractor Supply to get a couple of other items such as more screw drivers, a pry bar, and a mini sledge. Another good tool to have and more importantly know how to use, is a digital multimeter.
Multimeter was the first tool specifically for my new time consumer, I mean hobby. My wife was awesome enough to contribute to my delinquency by buying me two this Christmas - a $20 basic one for home projects, and a $90 auto mechanic-based model.

Now, come the rest of the kit(s) (home, in-truck, spares...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I would still reccomend getting a craftsmen set, and as stated before the ratchets arent the best, and they have annoying hex keys and stuff included, but just replace the ratchets with used mac/matco ratchets and you'll have a good kit. Remember when your snap on mac or match tool breaks in the middle of the job you have to wait for the truck to come around, if the craftsmen one breaks, you take a ride to sears. They all have stuff that will break, some far more often than others.
While you are messing around with all the old people buying lawn mowers replacing your split socket - I'll be relaxing with a beer as my sockets were up to the job.

No doubt snap on is expensive, but if you only buy what you need and search eBay / craigslist it's not prohibitive.

You are paying for all those annoying hex keys and other stuff ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:01 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

I think I've split 1 craftsman socket in 20 years. A breaker bar and high lift jack handle helped
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I've been using craftsman since I got my first set when I was 13 for christmas. Is it top notch equipment no, is it good for most everything a guy is going to do in his garage, yes it is.

I've broken maybe a dozen sockets and 3 ratchets in 24 years. I'll be the first to admit it's not the ratchet or socket's fault when you are beating on them with a 3 lbs sledge to break loose a stuck bolt.

Craftsman products are good bang for the buck. I will admit I have one snap on 1/4 drive ratchet and window seal tool. The ratchet I found in my wife's mercedes behind the door panel and I bought the window seal tool off Discoweb for 10 bucks.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
I think I've split 1 craftsman socket in 20 years. A breaker bar and high lift jack handle helped
I split 3 doing my head gaskets ... Maybe older ones are better quality?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I use regular craftsman sockets, sometimes even 3/8's drive ones on an adapter, on my 400ft pound 1/2 inch impact wrench all the time. I can count the number I have split on one hand, I don't think splitting craftsman sockets in the course of regular use is a realistic fear.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive busted one craftsman socket and that was using it on the 1/2" impact (i know i know). An extendable magnet very is useful, assorted locking extensions and a quality swivel set. I also have accumulated an assortment of taps and rethreading tools as well. I like an old bearing race for hub seals, a fish scale for swivel preload and a brass punch. I like a magnetic bolt pan as well. Any Land Rover will have you using nearly every wrench or socket you have at some juncture. I have an assortment of Snap-On ratchets, they are a great investment. Ive been needing to build another tool box this has been a helpful thread.
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I use regular craftsman sockets, sometimes even 3/8's drive ones on an adapter, on my 400ft pound 1/2 inch impact wrench all the time. I can count the number I have split on one hand, I don't think splitting craftsman sockets in the course of regular use is a realistic fear.
x2...I use the regular Craftsman chrome sockets on my SnapOn 1/2" impact....never have had a problem with them. I'd second the vote for just getting a good set from Craftsman and be done with it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've broken just about every brand of socket doing head gaskets. I think Snap On tools are more brittle than others, but they fit way better than most Craftsman tools. This is most apparent when using impact swivel sockets with a 1/2" impact on a stuck fastener. A cheaper socket will bounce off and a Snap On one will usually stay put. Sorry for the bad description, I'll have to take a video one day to show what I mean.

In the end, all tools suck and break.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
While you are messing around with all the old people buying lawn mowers replacing your split socket - I'll be relaxing with a beer as my sockets were up to the job.

No doubt snap on is expensive, but if you only buy what you need and search eBay / craigslist it's not prohibitive.

You are paying for all those annoying hex keys and other stuff ...
I've never had an issue with their sockets, and I have 2 newer sets, and i do a bit of work with them. I would suspect you got a bad batch of sockets or you were doing something wrong if you broke 3 sockets doing the head gaskets.

Btw my favorite ratchet is the 3/8's Mac flex head with plastic handle, preferably with fine teeth.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:42 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I've never had an issue with their sockets, and I have 2 newer sets, and i do a bit of work with them. I would suspect you got a bad batch of sockets or you were doing something wrong if you broke 3 sockets doing the head gaskets.
Every craftsman kit I've had only supplied 12 point 1/2 sockets. I'd expect it to be pretty easy to pop one when undoing head bolts. I always feel like I seperated a rib the next day after disassembling a v8. 6 point impact sockets are the way to go. I bought mine from northern tool years ago, so I'm betting harbor freight junk is equally durable.

Strength of socket aside, its not worth the possibility of rounding those bolts to even try a crafstman 12 point.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
Every craftsman kit I've had only supplied 12 point 1/2 sockets. I'd expect it to be pretty easy to pop one when undoing head bolts. I always feel like I seperated a rib the next day after disassembling a v8. 6 point impact sockets are the way to go. I bought mine from northern tool years ago, so I'm betting harbor freight junk is equally durable.
Bigger craftsman sets have both and they used to sell and maybe still do one that is all 6 point.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Bigger craftsman sets have both and they used to sell and maybe still do one that is all 6 point.
yep. I have a set the girl friend gave me 2 years ago and it has 6 and 12 point sockets

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 30th, 2013, 01:27 AM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Not sure if this matters to anyone, but a lot of the Craftsman hand tools that used to have "Forged in USA" stamped on them are now being phased out and replaced with Made in China stuff. Still has the lifetime warranty but in a sense fooling the public and trading on a long reputation that no longer holds. Another implication is that if you turn in an old and broken "Made in USA" tool under their warranty you'll get a "Made in China" replacement.
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
Not sure if this matters to anyone, but a lot of the Craftsman hand tools that used to have "Forged in USA" stamped on them are now being phased out and replaced with Made in China stuff. Still has the lifetime warranty but in a sense fooling the public and trading on a long reputation that no longer holds. Another implication is that if you turn in an old and broken "Made in USA" tool under their warranty you'll get a "Made in China" replacement.
Unless I am in a bind Ill no longer buy craftman tools
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Unless I am in a bind Ill no longer buy craftman tools
As has been said before, the sockets and wrenches are fine, certainly for the novice/arm-chair mechanic who is just screwing around on the weekends or doing basic maintenance jobs etc.

I lost all respect for them though when I saw the buckets of ratchets they had at the counter to replace yours under warranty. I mean, it has to be evident to them what pieces of garbage they were based on the amt of warranty claims and yet the bean counters must have convinced them that it was less expensive to piss off customers and just replace them with more junk rather than redesigning and improving them.

FWIW, I hear the Professional Line of ratchets are ok, but as I recall they have very low tooth counts compared with Snap On/Matco/MAC stuff.

A good set of sockets and wrenches from Craftsman/Kobalt/Husky will be fine, just search for used Snap On/Matco/MAC ratchets and Screw Drivers and you'll have a great start, you can always replace with higher end stuff later on, lets face it, the basic Craftsman Tools aren't a huge investment wasted if you do replace them and often it's nice to have Duplicates anyway.
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Craftsman has also over the past 5 years or so drastically increased the scope of their "eco" or "homeowner" or whatever the F their budget line is. competing with HarborFreight, their downward spiral is in full swing.
I have a Sears Hardware near me and it is the BEST place for loose nuts and bolts etc.
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Example - easily a $200+ torque wrench for $60
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/tls/4253575921.html

there are incredible deals out there for entire tool chests full of MAC and Snap-On tools.
the good thing for most of us defender guys is that we can get away with tools from the 1980s and don't need modern diagnostic equipment. I've noticed that there are lots of smaller independent shops that the older owners are retiring or getting out of the business altogether. If you're okay with 1980s-era Snap On stuff, there are deals out there.

I got a kick out of reading this guy's ad even though I'm not saying that its a screaming deal.
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/tls/4195923307.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions