Tool Recommendations? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwoody97 View Post
rdavisinva:

I don't have my own shop, but have a place to store tools, and can use military base auto hobby shops when needed.

My One Ten is running a 3.5L Rover V8 (off an '86 Range Rover), with an LT85 transmission.
Don't count on the Base Auto Hobby Shops to be there when you need them. The same thing happened here that Bill (ArmyRover) described. Our hobby shop closed down two years ago to save MWR money.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
irishwoody97
Woody
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White

I understand that tools are a very personal thing, and that everyone has opinions...except me. I'm the new guy, so I appreciate all the answers. In fact, keep 'em comin'. Thanks for all the great advice on type, brand, importance, etc...

As far as base hobby shops, right now I think I'm good - although at least one base has shut theirs down, I have a ton of other bases nearby, and, due to the size of the military community here, I figure at least one, if not more, will stay open (thankfully!).
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I started with assorted Craftsman and junk-grade Harbor Freight tools, scrounged from friends. Over time, I built up a complete set of mostly Snap-On tools.

There's a great thread on EE about building up a Snap-On set, should you eventually go that way:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...ead.php?t=1037

John Lee makes an excellent point in that thread: you don't go out and buy the perfect Land Rover tool set, you build it over time. There are lots of tools that you'll discover you need when you're in the middle of a job. I have a number of weirdo one-off tools in my collection, like this stubby 19mm ratcheting box/open combo wrench. I can't remember exactly why I bought this but I needed it once and I know that eventually I will want it again.

If I could own one and only one Snap-On product, it would probably be this set:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Auto Craft shops on post are pretty good. I'm doing most of my work at the one on Fort Lewis but I bring my own tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 04:20 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I started with assorted Craftsman and junk-grade Harbor Freight tools, scrounged from friends. Over time, I built up a complete set of mostly Snap-On tools.

There's a great thread on EE about building up a Snap-On set, should you eventually go that way:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...ead.php?t=1037

John Lee makes an excellent point in that thread: you don't go out and buy the perfect Land Rover tool set, you build it over time. There are lots of tools that you'll discover you need when you're in the middle of a job. I have a number of weirdo one-off tools in my collection, like this stubby 19mm ratcheting box/open combo wrench. I can't remember exactly why I bought this but I needed it once and I know that eventually I will want it again.

If I could own one and only one Snap-On product, it would probably be this set:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Auto Craft shops on post are pretty good. I'm doing most of my work at the one on Fort Lewis but I bring my own tools.
SNAP ON! not great starter tools!
They look glorious though. The price point is pretty damn prohibitive for your average weekend mechanic
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:23 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Even if I could afford them, I wouldn't buy snap-on wrenches. They are too thin and hurt to hold them. IMO.
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Even if I could afford them, I wouldn't buy snap-on wrenches. They are too thin and hurt to hold them. IMO.
Agreed, pretty sharp if you're applying enough leverage.

Plus they still break, have seen plenty of broken snapon stuff in the shop. Granted they get replaced, for the price it would still annoy me.

Also their ratchet wrenches with the articulating heads are way too loose, aggrivating when you are in a tight spot.
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:34 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwoody97 View Post
rdavisinva:

I don't have my own shop, but have a place to store tools, and can use military base auto hobby shops when needed.

My One Ten is running a 3.5L Rover V8 (off an '86 Range Rover), with an LT85 transmission.
If you don't have your own shop, you might skip the floor jack and large tool box and settle for a small tool box that you can keep in the back or under the seat.

With the V8, you won't need the diesel timing belt set that I was also going to recommend.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Low quality tools are a false economy over time. When you bust open a socket or round out a nut and spend half a day trying to extract it with pliers, hack saw and and FBH you realize that. Maybe more important than the tools themselves are the techniques to use them ... Spending a few minutes with a wire brush to clean threads and applying releasing fluid can save a lot of skinned knuckles and broken tools.

There is a finesse to working with mechanics, getting a good technique and having some mechanical sympathy will go a long way to make wrenching a more enjoyable experience.

You'd be surprised how few tools are needed to pull a defender apart and put it back together. All the hand tools will easily fit in the tool space under the passenger seat on a NAS 90 ... If the don't then you have duplication or superfluous items.

I favor canvas tool rolls for storage ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
You need a set of Bahco wrenches.
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Speaking of tool storage, I'm curious what you guys use to store sockets. I used to use the Ernst socket organizers but my sockets were always falling off. I switched to empty Illy coffee cans but eventually the lids stopped working. I need to find something tough enough to hold together inside a tool bag but still retain and protect my sockets.

/
/
/
/
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
i have those ernst rails and they are rubbish. I have 2 rows of sockets that i put in a thomson bike seatpost bag ... the fit perfectly.

I want the snap on

http://store.snapon.com/Socket-Rails...--P642079.aspx

but i cant bring myself to spend $30 a rail ... and they never seem to be in stock anyway. A friend has them and they seem to work well.
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
All great lists! However, in my experience the absolute best deals are out thee on Craigslist...keep an eye open - many guys getting divorced, or grandfathers with huge tool chests that kids have no idea what they are....I bought two at a garage sale and both were loaded with tools - like S&K, Proto, Snap-on and other treasures for only $300 ea - and they came in real nice rolling drawer chests from Craftsman - great deals.

So keep an eye on Craigslist - you get great bargains. Don't settle on Craftsman - not knocking them, they are good starter sets, but you will end up wanting better stuff in the long run - so do it right once!
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
All great lists! However, in my experience the absolute best deals are out thee on Craigslist...keep an eye open - many guys getting divorced, or grandfathers with huge tool chests that kids have no idea what they are....I bought two at a garage sale and both were loaded with tools - like S&K, Proto, Snap-on and other treasures for only $300 ea - and they came in real nice rolling drawer chests from Craftsman - great deals.

So keep an eye on Craigslist - you get great bargains. Don't settle on Craftsman - not knocking them, they are good starter sets, but you will end up wanting better stuff in the long run - so do it right once!
Dude ... please ... don't let the trade secrets out! ;-)
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
lol, I always see these sets on CL
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
- you only need one or two of these - and you are done!
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Speaking of tool storage, I'm curious what you guys use to store sockets. I used to use the Ernst socket organizers but my sockets were always falling off. I switched to empty Illy coffee cans but eventually the lids stopped working. I need to find something tough enough to hold together inside a tool bag but still retain and protect my sockets.
I got pissed and bought a decent SK set which came in a decent plastic case, it rests on the bottom of the 1510-extras are on those plastic holders EE sells which are adequate for occasional use.

Still searching for a better method.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:47 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
I use bucket boss tool rolls for tools in the truck and for recovery equipment, these have held up well over the years (10?)
the standard tool roll has a socket organizer with a closing flap. EE sells that line.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Yeah, I'm already using the Bucket Boss tool rolls and I keep everything in one of their Gatemouth bags. I will give the old style metal clip rails a shot. The tool bag and its contents see a lot of abuse. It's super heavy and gets tossed around a lot. I'm pretty sure that even the metal rails will lose sockets. What I'd really like is a coffee-can-like cylinder with a durable screw top and a rubber/plastic insert that holds the sockets.

/
/
/
/
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I use the old style metal clip rails. You can get them at Harbor Freight/Sears etc. I cut them to length. From there I can throw them in a tool pouch for the trail, or take set to the task so I don't have to go back and forth to the box.

This is what I use on the trail. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...0&postcount=27

-Jeff
See now I have clarity...I always thought guys were saying you were/are a tool...gosh my mistake...they meant you have them...
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I got pissed and bought a decent SK set which came in a decent plastic case, it rests on the bottom of the 1510-extras are on those plastic holders EE sells which are adequate for occasional use. Still searching for a better method.
The plastic ones from Home Depot are cheap and fairly robust; feel like they would def hold up in a roll

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions