Took the plunge, now have lots o questions! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Frank S
1984 D90
Took the plunge, now have lots o questions!

Hello All,
I've been lurking on this board (this wonderful, wonderful board) for a few weeks now. Two weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased my first Rover. She's a 84' RHD D90 with the 300tdi and the R380. She's only been in the States since Feb and is from Scotland. I've been taking it easy on her till I could get her into my mechanic. I told him to look over everything and let me know what I was into. He hit me with a whopping $86 bill. I was thrilled, expected to pay big $$$$. The feeder lines on the top of the motor had to be replaced, that's why you can see the drips in the pics. I've already ordered new tires after reading a bunch on this site and I need to replace / remove to muffler. I have a short list of the other mechanical items that need to be address and I've been trying to do as much research as I can. First thing I'm trying to figure out is what the gasket is called that is located where the water-pump mounts to the block, I've attached photos. I have a slight coolant leak there. I'm also trying to locate an air-filter housing, as you can see mine is pretty messed up. I've looked at roversnorth, rovahfarm, roversdownsouth, but I can't find one. The speedo isn't hooked up, but I was wondering if the speedo in my dash can even be hooked up to the R380 trans? If so what do I need? I was under the impression that the one I have is mechanical and the one for the R380 is electronic? I also need braided diesel fuel line, but I imagine that should be easy to find. Any help would be great. And thanks to all of you for such an invaluable stockpile of information and expertise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grover.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	28455   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak01.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	28456  

Click image for larger version

Name:	300tdi.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	28457   Click image for larger version

Name:	airfilter.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	28458  

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
Welcome to the forum... Great looking truck!

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
The gasket you are looking for is the infamous "p-gasket". Do a search with that name and you will find a lot.

Also, when was you timing belt last changed? look in to that and if there is any doubt...change it.

For the air filter housing... did you call George? he has way more than is on his site.

Looks like a nice truck and welcome to the forum!
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
The speedo drive is off the transfer case, not the transmission so you should be fine hooking that up unless you have a very late transfer case.
*not legal advice*
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160
Defender Ninety

Nice truck! Welcome aboard and happy Rovering.
Steve B-
Otterberg, Germany
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

You can order the housing here straight from the UK:

It will probably be cheaper than buying it in the US even with shipping. Ask for a shipping quote.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
2005 Disco 3
congrats, nice looking Rover

maybe this would help? ->
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Frank S
1984 D90
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for all of the info and great feedback! I feel like everyday I love this truck more and more. Drove her home at 70+ mphs for 3+ hours and she didn't miss a beat. Took her off road and ran into a bear (not literally, but it was about 20 yards away from truck and I chased it for about another 60). Filled her up for the first time, cost me $29.25. Got the new tires today and can't wait to get them on. She needs some TLC, but all in all I feel like I got a good deal on her. Thanks again!!

Old June 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Jason Lavender
D-90 Source Vendor

I literally JUST did the p-gasket on my 300tdi, and I'd be happy to talk to you about it - I'll PM you my email/phone#. However, also check out my thread here:
And the thread that I used to walk me through the process here:

Also, Dave (Ren Ching) gave me a few bits of advice that came in very handy:
1) buy a few of the plastic radiator plugs (part#ERR4686) to have on hand, I broke one getting them out and one putting them back in...luckily I had ordered 3 extras.
2) expect to break a few mounting bolts when disassembling...I broke a bolt on the power-steering pump when removing it so took the whole waterpump/power-steering/alternator housing out (which essentially is easy once you're doing the p-gasket anyways) and had it drilled & retapped at a machine shop.
3) use this stuff called Hylomar to reseal the p-gasket when putting it back together (available at Autozone/etc, make by Permanex) - the actual p-gasket is kinda metallic so this ensures a great seal when you put everything together (and I generally don't use any sealant on gaskets such as water-pump/etc, but you'll see what I mean when you get this gasket).
4) while you're in there, if there is any doubt order a new OEM water pump (George @ RDS, $130) and replace it - cheap insurance if it hasn't been done...and also get his "separate" gasket (red one side, black the other) that is much more heavy-duty than the factory paper gasket.

That's all I can think of for now, but again I'll PM you my info in case you need a lifeline. It's really just a time thing to do it, nothing technical per se. But thanks to Dave's advice I had extra parts on hand and no down-time. Also I'm sure the 2nd time I do it will be 1/2 the time, but give yourself a day or two to take your time and deal with any issues that arise.

Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE
(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")
SDO Instagram
SDO Facebook

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions