Too hard to choose... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Too hard to choose...

I have to make a decision on which bumper I want to get for my 90, I'm looking between the RTE and an Equipe. I think the approach angle will be better with the equipe but the corner protection of the rte is better. Anyone have personal experiences with either, or another bumper which they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it because I'm having a hard time making the choice. oh also rox star fab...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you search (not sure if you did or not) you will see a number of threads about the pros and cons of different bumpers and many will probably chime in to add Rockware to your list. What kind of driving/wheeling are you planning to do with it? Are you planning to add a winch? What is your price range?

Personally I am currently running a Rockware and love it as it suits my needs of giving a good approach angle and front end protection and also being aesthetically pleasing (to me at least). Previously I had an ARB and while I didn't mind it, I also wasn't crazy about it. Mainly it just hung too low for my taste and wheeling style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	54877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0044.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	54878  

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I have done a lot of searching on this forum and many others. I saw the rockware too, seem similar to the RTE.

I am going to mount a 10000lb winch to it. the 90 is my daily driver but in the next few years I plan on converting it to a pure offroad vehicle. I have some good offroad places locally, Indiana bandlands, Wisco pipe line, which offer a good variety of trails. I do plan on going west soon out to Colorado and Utah sometime too, once I get the winch all set up I will feel more comfortable trying the harder trails. But I'm looking for something with good strength, approach angle, and corner protection. I am leaning towards the RTE bumper or the rockware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I liked when Goose trimmed out the bottom of the ARB, thought that was a great combo (though obviously a lot of work). I personally like the Rockware bumper from a looks standpoint, and obvious it's pretty functional. The one thing I've noticed - and from our chats - is that having a bumper that "sticks out" a little bit with the brush guard part of it will save your front quarter panels in the long run - which the Rockware does a little, but not a lot of.

I know it's NLA, but the SG bumper did a good job of that (seen below). I know we were comparing notes on my truck vs Galpins (running the RW) and you could see his front quarters were dinged up in spots - whereas mine were looking ok (same can't be said for the rear tub of course ).

So as Jeff said, depending on your intended use these are things to consider.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1834.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	54880  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Here's a pic I dug up of the ARB that Goose had modified...I REALLY liked it, and that's funny because I really don't care for the straight-up ARB bumper:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7736.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	54881  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I like the chopped up ARB, looks good. The SG is a great bumper from what I have read and ECR has come out with their own version from what I've seen but I've heard its 1800 bucks, while the RTE is only 1100, 700 bucks I could save and put into something else. There are so many little points which could be argued for either setup, but I am def leaning towards the RTE/Rockware style for protection.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Rockware, trimmed up ARB's are nice, tube bumpers are for jeeps.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Not sure if the Equipe bumper is still available, but the similar (or complete knockoff) Terrafirma style is available by many. This is the slightly extended AC version, allows adequate clearance for the winch without cutting a clearance hole through the grill. These bumpers sit high and tight, exposed front corners be damned. But after wheeling trickle at the cove last week, now thinking that a brush guard is not such a bad thing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2930-001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	54883  
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Get some 4x4 square tube and weld some mounts on it.

All the bumpers look too fancy in my opinion.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I liked when Goose trimmed out the bottom of the ARB, thought that was a great combo (though obviously a lot of work). I personally like the Rockware bumper from a looks standpoint, and obvious it's pretty functional. The one thing I've noticed - and from our chats - is that having a bumper that "sticks out" a little bit with the brush guard part of it will save your front quarter panels in the long run - which the Rockware does a little, but not a lot of.

I know it's NLA, but the SG bumper did a good job of that (seen below). I know we were comparing notes on my truck vs Galpins (running the RW) and you could see his front quarters were dinged up in spots - whereas mine were looking ok (same can't be said for the rear tub of course ).

So as Jeff said, depending on your intended use these are things to consider.
FWIW, Galpin's damage came from a truck backing into his. Also, an item of note because I am sure Charles can/will post some pics, he had his RW bumper made to accommodate a Husky winch so it sticks out a good 2-3" further than a standard RW.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Equipe no longer exists. A fraction of the company now goes by COR4x4. Get a Terrafirma knock off for less if you like the looks.

As I didn't like any of the ready made options available, I ended up making my own and modifying an Equipe skid plate to get a steep rake. I'm willing to bet I have the best approach angle of just about any Defender out there. Of course my winch is sitting inside the grill!

Here's mine: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=23181&page=14

Semper Fi!
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I do think the more boxy ones like the RTE and Rockware fit the landrover better. I am planning on getting mine for the Redwinch challenger hydraulic winch (link bellow), yes I am going hydraulic... don't attack me too hard for this decision, I just want something that will pull and pull and then pull some more.

I think I'm just going to have to give RTE and Roackware a call and ask them why should I buy your bumper.

http://www.red-winches.com/challenger.html
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
I do think the more boxy ones like the RTE and Rockware fit the landrover better. I am planning on getting mine for the Redwinch challenger hydraulic winch (link bellow), yes I am going hydraulic... don't attack me too hard for this decision, I just want something that will pull and pull and then pull some more.

I think I'm just going to have to give RTE and Roackware a call and ask them why should I buy your bumper.

http://www.red-winches.com/challenger.html
Unless your motor isn't running. Then you are screwed. Did you see the new electric version?

Semper Fi!
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Unless your motor isn't running. Then you are screwed. Did you see the new electric version?

redwinch came out with an electric version?? I did not see it. My reason to look over that argument is that I will always be in a group or at least one other person who can help me out. Also if my engine stops working I feel that I will be in much deeper sh** than just my 90 being stuck lol.
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy
Or just listen to us! :eek
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you want a winch that you can use all day... Superwinch Husky 10... Worm dive, so no/limited brake heat.

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
redwinch came out with an electric version?? I did not see it. My reason to look over that argument is that I will always be in a group or at least one other person who can help me out. Also if my engine stops working I feel that I will be in much deeper sh** than just my 90 being stuck lol.
I have used my winch several times this year to recover myself...in only one instance was my engine running. That being said, I like to put my truck in deep water!
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
redwinch came out with an electric version?? I did not see it.

Shamelessly stolen from the Lucky8 Facebook page.... Although it's rumored to be well in to the $3k range, so us mere mortals won't be buying one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	599597_10150986673243927_2002505345_n.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	54887  

Semper Fi!
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:31 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Shamelessly stolen from the Lucky8 Facebook page.... Although it's rumored to be well in to the $3k range, so us mere mortals won't be buying one.
You might as well go for the Gigglepin 8274 setup at that price!
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
looks to shiny for a 90... i like the idea that I could have more leaks with a hydraulic system rather than electrical problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions