Defender Source Forum banner

tom woods fr driveshaft bolts

Tags
bolts drives
2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  cgalpin 
#1 ·
I just got a tom woods front driveshaft and it is awesome looking. Much bigger than the LR one. Anyway, I laid everything out on my deck before I crawl under the truck to reinstall it, and it appears that the gr 8 bolts that came with the kit, the ones that are supposed to bolt the adapter to the shaft at the transfer case end, are too short. Did anyone else have this problem?

thanks in advance

#4 ·
I got the Double Cardan driveshaft. I will take a picture today of the two shafts next to each other. The shaft, adapter, hardware, plus shipping was a little under $400. Seems like a great deal in my estimation considering what some of the other shafts run.

My driveshaft needed new u-joints, so I thought it was as good a time as any to upgrade.

#6 ·
well, the u-joints were making all sorts of noise while coming in to a stop with a closed throttle, and when I inspected the front driveshaft, it had a lot of play in it. Instead of just having the u-joints replaced, which would probably run me $100 or more from a shop, I decided that with my 2 inch lift I would get a DC front drivshaft. Since the DC is designed to run at this angle, it probably will not go through u-joints nearly as often. Also, it comes with really good u-joints from tom woods. The shaft itself is also much more robust.

The rear shaft had no play in it, and also was not making any noise. when the time comes, I might also replace that one with an upgrade. I am using the failure of the original piece as a good excuse to pay more for an upgrade! I also have Rovertracks rear trailing arms which return the rear pinion to the same plane as the transfer case rear output. That means there is less of no need for a DC driveshaft, at least for now.

Since the front drivshaft is shorter, it seems logical to me that when you lift your truck, the front driveshaft angle will be more severe than the rear. Following that line of reasoning would lead me to believe that on a lifted truck, it is probably more critical to get a DC driveshaft in the front than the rear. That is what I have gleaned from reading stuff on the internet, but I could be wrong.

PS there is some good reading at Tom Woods' site http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Ordering over the phone was a breeze and the shaft got here in 3 days with standard ground shipping.

#8 ·
Here is a pic of my new driveshaft. I did a little local wheeling yesterday and the driveshaft was nice and smooth.

My alternator was another story, though. It had been making a little bit of noise prior to yesterday, so I decided to test my luck and I lost. Luckily, I had already bought a new alternator to replace it with (that mean green from Johnathan). The alternator eventually made a loud hiss and it sounded like a big release of something from under the hood, the tach stopped, and upon further investigation it was sparking!! My buddy towed me to the trailhead with his Zuki and once there I got a flatbed.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.