tom woods fr driveshaft bolts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

tom woods fr driveshaft bolts

I just got a tom woods front driveshaft and it is awesome looking. Much bigger than the LR one. Anyway, I laid everything out on my deck before I crawl under the truck to reinstall it, and it appears that the gr 8 bolts that came with the kit, the ones that are supposed to bolt the adapter to the shaft at the transfer case end, are too short. Did anyone else have this problem?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

ok, never mind, after searching for a lot longer I finally found some old pics from JohnC that clearly showed how the bolts for the adapter mount!
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hey Jeff, did you get anything special done? Double cardon or something? I have a $200 gift certificate that I need to use one day (sooner than later) and I'm not sure what to get.

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I got the Double Cardan driveshaft. I will take a picture today of the two shafts next to each other. The shaft, adapter, hardware, plus shipping was a little under $400. Seems like a great deal in my estimation considering what some of the other shafts run.

My driveshaft needed new u-joints, so I thought it was as good a time as any to upgrade.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks much! One more stupid question - was there a particular reason you did the front and not the rear?
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

well, the u-joints were making all sorts of noise while coming in to a stop with a closed throttle, and when I inspected the front driveshaft, it had a lot of play in it. Instead of just having the u-joints replaced, which would probably run me $100 or more from a shop, I decided that with my 2 inch lift I would get a DC front drivshaft. Since the DC is designed to run at this angle, it probably will not go through u-joints nearly as often. Also, it comes with really good u-joints from tom woods. The shaft itself is also much more robust.

The rear shaft had no play in it, and also was not making any noise. when the time comes, I might also replace that one with an upgrade. I am using the failure of the original piece as a good excuse to pay more for an upgrade! I also have Rovertracks rear trailing arms which return the rear pinion to the same plane as the transfer case rear output. That means there is less of no need for a DC driveshaft, at least for now.

Since the front drivshaft is shorter, it seems logical to me that when you lift your truck, the front driveshaft angle will be more severe than the rear. Following that line of reasoning would lead me to believe that on a lifted truck, it is probably more critical to get a DC driveshaft in the front than the rear. That is what I have gleaned from reading stuff on the internet, but I could be wrong.

PS there is some good reading at Tom Woods' site http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Ordering over the phone was a breeze and the shaft got here in 3 days with standard ground shipping.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
All good info, thanks!
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Here is a pic of my new driveshaft. I did a little local wheeling yesterday and the driveshaft was nice and smooth.

My alternator was another story, though. It had been making a little bit of noise prior to yesterday, so I decided to test my luck and I lost. Luckily, I had already bought a new alternator to replace it with (that mean green from Johnathan). The alternator eventually made a loud hiss and it sounded like a big release of something from under the hood, the tach stopped, and upon further investigation it was sparking!! My buddy towed me to the trailhead with his Zuki and once there I got a flatbed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	10504   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpzR5d5kAM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	10505  

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Very nice thanks. I checked my gift certificate and have until April 08 to use it so no rush, but I will definately go for a front driveshaft when I do!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts, drives