Toddco Headers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Toddco Headers?

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.toddcosuspensions.com/larode11090r.html

Perhaps an improvement over stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
i will find out, i ordered a set last week, should have them on in the next week, will post a review, going on a 94 ST, hopefully will be worth the time...
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtj View Post
Perhaps an improvement over stock?
Unless you are doing significant other work to the motor and looking for high rpm gains they will probably make no positive difference at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

looking forward to hearing a review from the install
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Ya I have them installed. They are pretty much a knock-off of the hedmens, but come with O2 bungs already welded in. You are going to have to do some denting of one of the pipes near the steering rod to get the knuckle to be able to clear. Also they are not a direct fit with the rest of the Y-pipe set up, so you are going to need something custom from the collectors back.

B
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
Ya I have them installed. They are pretty much a knock-off of the hedmens, but come with O2 bungs already welded in. You are going to have to do some denting of one of the pipes near the steering rod to get the knuckle to be able to clear. Also they are not a direct fit with the rest of the Y-pipe set up, so you are going to need something custom from the collectors back.

B
Any pictures? Was there any interference with the steering column?

Cheers...
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I don't have any pics, but I can snap some this weekend. Yes there is interference with the steering column. You have to dent one of the pipes to make sure that the knucle on the column can freely move. Also if you have a green monster starter your passenger side header will be an EXTREMELY tight fit. The stock starter gives you plenty of space.

Still the biggest problem is that the headers drop so low that the entire y-pipe back has to be redesigned/custom built to fit the new point of exit for the exhaust.

If there were some huggers that mirrored the original manifold design it would be much better than the ToddCo. headers.

B
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
I don't have any pics, but I can snap some this weekend. Yes there is interference with the steering column. You have to dent one of the pipes to make sure that the knucle on the column can freely move. Also if you have a green monster starter your passenger side header will be an EXTREMELY tight fit. The stock starter gives you plenty of space.

Still the biggest problem is that the headers drop so low that the entire y-pipe back has to be redesigned/custom built to fit the new point of exit for the exhaust.

If there were some huggers that mirrored the original manifold design it would be much better than the ToddCo. headers.

B
what about P38 manifolds
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
what about P38 manifolds
At a quick glance it looks like they could work, but cost seems prohibitive. If Atlantic British is any indicator looks like they go for about 1k a pair. I also had mine Jet Hot coated, to keep down the heat, which is at least another 200 or so. Seems kind of pricey for what I would consider minimal performance improvements.
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:16 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Buy a used pair out of the UK, you'll pay a bit for shipping but you'll probably still be under $200 on the door step.

Have you done anything to open up the intake side? Headers alone will add little but noise.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I gotta find who you are using for shipping! I wanted a Rear crossmember from Paddocks and they wanted 285USD just for the shipping.

B
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:02 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Shipping out of the UK is a b*tch. It's a real dance of dimensions and weight. Sometimes the Royal Mail is better, sometimes DHL or FedEx are better. I think that's why a lot of UK eBay sellers won't ship international. Of course, a lot of them won't ship domestic...
I used to ship BMW parts from Germany to the US, it was much cheaper in comparison.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Headers alone will add little but noise.
This has never been my experience.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
This has never been my experience.
Nor mine. Why would it be louder?

The engine bay seems a little cooler, but besides that I am not sure there are any real HP gains or anything like that.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Usually you get more noise in the engine bay with headers, as they don't damp sound as well as cast manifolds. Maybe I have noticed this more because my header experiences are with BMW sixes, which are very quiet engines. Maybe on pushrod V8's there's enough racket that the headers are less noticeable. The only pushrod V8's I have owned are my RRC and one big block Chebby for a couple years in my 20's. No headers on the RRC, nor the Chebby. It was an El Camino and the engine barely fit between the shock towers. Had to change about half the spark plugs through the wheel wells.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Ya I have headers on my Rover and my Vette and I guess an increase in engine noise wouldn't really be noticeable in either of those vehicles unless it was drastic.
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd put it here too since you're talking about headers. I am running the AluminumV8 block hugger headers and they fit pretty well. They can be found here at the top of the page: http://www.aluminumv8.com/catalogpages/headers.htm

I had to tweak the passenger side one a little bit to get it to fit around the motor mount but overall they are well-done. When you go to weld them into the y-pipe (or whatever else you're using) be sure to leave enough room for the oil drain plug because they are close to the block so they'll be close to that plug.
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Maybe on pushrod V8's there's enough racket that the headers are less noticeable. The only pushrod V8's I have owned are my RRC and one big block Chebby for a couple years in my 20's. .
Providing the push-rod American V8 has no pete jackson type mechanical cam gear drive, solid lifters, a blower or mufflers so loud as to drown out all ancilliary engine noise anyway...

The only difference in sound I have ever noticed with aluminum headers not evident with cast iron exhaust manifolds is that you can faintly hear the metallic tapping of the valves at idle.
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You might want to consider a flex joint somewhere to help prevent cracking, also Jethot coating as they loose heat a lot faster than cast headers which is one reason why sometimes you see performance losses, the balance is better but losing heat means slower exhaust gas ejection and more header backpressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
header