To Tree Bar or Not to Tree Bar - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Whatever you do, don't hacksaw the bottom of your NATO can locker doors to accommodate sliders.
x2 use a cutoff wheel or a plasma cutter. Way better than a hacksaw.

But it isn't just the door it's the bottom of the box as well. You'd probably want to reinforce the box to make up for the strength of the material you'd have to remove.

You can cut the slider down, which may or may not leave you with enough material to attach tree bars on them in the rear, behind the box.

So custom fabrication will be required no matter what. I don't think there is a bolt on option for an exmod 110.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Let's see what you went with.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

This is what I am planning on doing. This was shared with me by another member. Now I have to find a local fabricator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004a-2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	88424  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
If I install sliders, can I also install OEM steps (the folding style)? I am mostly looking for side impact protection, but my wife wants steps also. I am thinking there is no way I could have steps and tree bars?

Thoughts?
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You can pivot off standard rock sliders too (if securely mounted). just make sure they stick out further than the body in either case.
Only if truck and obstacle are pretty much level, the more it sticks out the better. If off camber and the pivot point is on the downhill side, the tree bar adds the 3-4 inches of spacing required to prevent body damage. That is where their value lies imo.

I don't like the way they look but love the functionality. If you are a mall cruiser I say no. If you will take your truck places that challenge you and the trucks abilities, they can be invaluable.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:29 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
If I install sliders, can I also install OEM steps (the folding style)? I am mostly looking for side impact protection, but my wife wants steps also. I am thinking there is no way I could have steps and tree bars?

Thoughts?
Not OEM steps but Overlander did this and I think it's brilliant: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53343
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Paul, If you install sliders with tree bars then the tree bars act as steps so the OEM steps would be redundant in that case. Just put some 3M anti-slip tape on top and you're good to go. I use mine that way and they work great for getting in and even when loading the roof rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
If I install sliders, can I also install OEM steps (the folding style)? I am mostly looking for side impact protection, but my wife wants steps also. I am thinking there is no way I could have steps and tree bars? Thoughts?
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:50 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

+1 on that... I wouldn't install a set without tree protectors on..
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Paul, If you install sliders with tree bars then the tree bars act as steps so the OEM steps would be redundant in that case. Just put some 3M anti-slip tape on top and you're good to go. I use mine that way and they work great for getting in and even when loading the roof rack.
I thought of that, but the rails on sliders are almost the same height as the floor- I need something lower than that! Maybe the steps would work but not fold up? I do like the idea of the tree bars as a step to reach the roof. If only someone made a slider/step combo like they make for Jeeps & domestic stuff...
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Have a local fabricator make a step the slips over/hangs from the slider. Something removable incase you want to take it off road.

-Jeff
Good plan. Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Have a local fabricator make a step the slips over/hangs from the slider. Something removable incase you want to take it off road.

-Jeff
Like RTE used to offer for theirs.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 27th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
See I am on page with this idea...Mark's chains are a good idea but they just feel too freaky to step on, your wife most likely wont' like them!
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
See I am on page with this idea...Mark's chains are a good idea but they just feel too freaky to step on, your wife most likely wont' like them!
Agreed!
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Have a local fabricator make a step the slips over/hangs from the slider. Something removable incase you want to take it off road. -Jeff
Or have him weld in M10 bungs/nuts into the bottom off the square tube part of the slider. Modify a fold up step to bolt on and off. With a cordless impact and 17mm socket you can take them on and off in minutes.
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:21 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
So who makes a set of rock sliders with tree bars for a ROW 110 worth buying?
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
No one. But MANTEC and TF make some decent ones for reasonable $$. Otherwise wait for some of the madcowdungbeetle ones he's working on.

Semper Fi!
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:57 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Dont mean to take away from Carter, but how about the Masai sliders? Anyone have them? The tree slider looks like it sticks out quite a bit....
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:52 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Dont mean to take away from Carter, but how about the Masai sliders? Anyone have them? The tree slider looks like it sticks out quite a bit....
Dave at urban is putting them on my 90; I went with Masai because they double as a step and realistically I figure they'd see more parking lot door ding deterrent than anything.

For protection I'd go with some rock sliders; for steps/urban jungle resistance I like Masai
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:07 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have the terrafirma ones with the tree bar on my 110 truck and love them.. I will be installing a set on the new 130 also.. I bought mine from Stephen at safari.. Actually I have bought a couple of sets from him..
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:17 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I have the terrafirma ones with the tree bar on my 110 truck and love them.. I will be installing a set on the new 130 also.. I bought mine from Stephen at safari.. Actually I have bought a couple of sets from him..

X2, have them as well and think they are great, but I'm not trying to use them to rotate the truck off of rocks. Mostly have them to improve the prospects of a side impact collision...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions