To replace or repair the tub - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2017, 10:39 PM
FLRtSdeRover
Rob V.
1989 Ninety

Registry
To replace or repair the tub

I'm sure this is somewhere, yet I can't seem to find it on the interwebs. I'm starting the restore of my 1989 Ninety, and I'm trying to decide whether to replace the tub. Other than the cappings, the loadspace floor needs replacing and where the door check attaches to the tub is torn. How hard is it to swap one of these things out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	191498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	191506  

Duct tape and hope, my friend. Duct tape and hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Depends what you mean by hard. It's not super hard, but it's very time consuming. Especially dealing with all the old fasteners that will be rusted/corroded to hell.
You'll also find a lot more work you want to do when it's off.....

Check out some of the build threads and you'll get a better idea what it entails. I rebuilt my tub with a new floor (off the truck) and it was tedious, but awesome now that it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:15 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
First thing is to unf*ck that chrome license plate lamp, Airborne!

Being in NC, there are a lot of Defender guys about. Aski somebody to come over and do a thourough assessment of the truck. Figure out if frame needs work. See where body needs help. Then you will know your baseline.

In looking at your pics, that tub is done.

You are looking at all new cappings, sides, rear panels, and this is without seeing floor/
The bolts for the rear into the crossmember under the door are missing, means the steel angle under there is prob shot. The rear panels and side panels are all starting to corrode and have damage.

More pics would help:
Inside the truck, where the seat belt bolt to floor.
Directly under that where the seatbelt bolts come thru, and the sill bolts to B pillar.
Hate to say it, but front of sill, where the bulkhead and sill connect.

This will help people here to give better advice. And who knows, someone might have a tub, or cappings laying around.
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2017, 12:42 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I have seen worse tubs come back from the dead looking great.

Just do everything back to factory when it comes to fixes. Please don't do odd, strange patches.
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:03 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Feel free to give me a call- we have trucks you can look at to get the jest of what it takes, how they assemble, etc- couple hour drive...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:45 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If you have a lot of time and space anything can be saved. I have been fixing a 110 3 door tub that didn't look too bad. Replacing the floor was probably the easiest part of it. Cutting out corroded aluminum to get to stuff I could weld, cutting the pieces and the patch work was tough. But I gained a lot of experience with it.

I am not sure what your budget is but I would get one of those NTO tubs with the Puma seat forms. Those Puma lock n folds are nice and the must be the safest option for hauling passengers in the back of a 90.

Another option is to get a tub that needs less work. Restore that tub when you have time and the swap it for your current tub in a day or 2.

Whatever direction you go I would coat the heck out of the bottom components. It seems LR made the bottom of the tubs to collect and hold dirt and moisture.
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I have two new take off 90 tubs left. PM if interested. There are no more coming.
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:42 PM
FLRtSdeRover
Rob V.
1989 Ninety

Registry
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I know this thing is rough, including that license plate lamp. I've had the truck in at Flying Circus. Toby says I can save a lot, but he agrees that tub is pretty shot. What it would cost in my time and effort, I'll probably just replace. I will definitely be in the market for a tub in short order and hit you guys up. Thanks for the expertise.

Dale, when it warms up I'll hop on the bike and definitely take you up on that.

Duct tape and hope, my friend. Duct tape and hope.
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:01 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

No worries Robert- always welcome, any time!!
In fact, too bad you aren't ready for a tub now as I am headed to down Edisto this w/e- which is right next to Mark above...

Mark, let me know if you need anything headed down or back north.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac