To paint a galv chassis or not - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

To paint a galv chassis or not

In the new issue of Land Rover International Owner mag a reader wrote in asking if they should paint their freshly galvanized chassis and the tech section said absolutely. The mag said galv is great if you keep it dry or only get it occasionally wet but if you live in wet conditions or are in mud a lot, the water will eat through the zinc coating in no time and it will rust. This is news to me and I was wondering what the opinions on the board are from people who actually have galvanized frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No need and paint does not stick very well. If you live near the ocean and drive on the beach I can see it being useful to do something, but I would just waxoyl.

My experience is that galvanized stuff at most has surface rust or really staining. Other than what JL said about someone in a salt heavy area of canada, I have never heard of a galvanized frame being structurally rusted. The very early SIs had galvy frames and based on the pictures of those I saw, they are still intact 60 years later.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I have no opinion or experience with it. Just what I read. They discuss the methods to painting. I think they recommend some sort of wash first then any type of paint you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
MERLEANDSARAH
MERLE/STEPHEY
1984 DEFENDER 110

If you need more protection than galvi, add the waxoyl. I have bad luck with painting over galvi.
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I painted the galv chassis on my Series. I like the black look.

The frame had sat outside for a while after it was galvanized, so I prepped, used etching primer, and then painted. No problems with paint sticking.
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

As has been said a galved part does not need extra protection especially if it hosed off and kept clean however there is a more important reason to paint the chassis, one is to make it less desirable to thieves.

I painted mine black as an anti bling statement.

regards all

Gren
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
In the new issue of Land Rover International Owner mag a reader wrote in asking if they should paint their freshly galvanized chassis and the tech section said absolutely. The mag said galv is great if you keep it dry or only get it occasionally wet but if you live in wet conditions or are in mud a lot, the water will eat through the zinc coating in no time and it will rust. This is news to me and I was wondering what the opinions on the board are from people who actually have galvanized frames.
Tell that to all the galv used in shipping, bridges and the like ... sounds like English people talking authoritively about something they know very little about ... ;-)
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Actually the galvanized zinc coating will erode, in fact its partly it's job as the zinc is consumed first as a sacrificial anode. If you want to paint over it for aesthetic reasons or just for added protection that's fine, just use the proper etching primer and prep the surface.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Galvanize is a very slick surface and does not lend itself to good adhesion characteristics. If painted, it often peels; water, mud and/or moisture will start collecting under the paint and will cause problems.

As mentioned above, there are several applications that indeed paint over galvanized frames, containters, etc. the problems is, once painted you have to maintain it on a regular basis.

I had a galvanized boat trailer that saw plenty of sea water for 10+ years and I never had a problem with it... the frame it self, the rest of the stuff (nuts, bolts, lights, etc) is another story. We just washed it with soap and fresh water, along with the boat. my 2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint