To lift or not to lift... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

To lift or not to lift...

Rover gurus, I'm in the midst of having my '88 110 restored and am wondering if I should add a 2" lift to the Truck. I have the stock 16" boost wheels and want to run 285/75's on them to fill out the wheel wells. Do I need to run spacers with the boost wheels to fill out the wells? I have the option to pick pretty much any shock/spring combo I want.
The truck will mostly be driven on pavement (I know sacrilege) with a few trail rides and beach trips (Outerbanks/Deweybeach - East Coast).
Do I stick with Bilstein's or go with pro sport +2 Terrafirma? Or do I stick with what works on my mountain bikes and go with the Fox shocks?
I'm open to anything.
Thanks in advance for the support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is really no need to change anything unless you are offroading to a level that you find the stock clearance is too low. It sounds like that is not the case. Adding any lift will reduce the on road quality. As far as shock choice, it depends what you want from them.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Stock clearance should be fine and sounds like I can run the 285's without any issues.
As for shocks, I'd be looking for mostly comfort and stability on the road. I imagine the stock shocks should be fine? Anything above and beyond would be for off-roading I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Comfort and stability are opposite requirements for a shock. Get it. Drive it. Then decide if there are things you would like different.

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Right on. Good advice. I did like the ride I had on my '06 BMW X5. Stiff and you could feel the road. Obviously these are two different beasts. I'll probably end up with whatever the shop recommends and will drive it like you said and can always change them up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:55 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

So a thought... Blistein's are goin to ride better, TF pro +2 shocks are stiff (I have them and will be dumping them some on) and OEM is going to be the softest..
To clear the 33' 285's you will need to lift unless you don't need to turn hard. You can adjust the bump stops and all but regardless your going to rub at full lock.

IMHO .. For springs I'm using ARB now.. With a +2 lift.
Keep the sway bars and your fine

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
To clear the 33' 285's you will need to lift unless you don't need to turn hard.
Repeat after me. A spring lift does not affect tire clearance.

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:17 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Repeat after me. A spring lift does not affect tire clearance.

Haha true... But most don't bother adjusting the bump stops and the rest of the suspension..

He is fitting a wider tire as well..

I went down in width to 255 when I went taller (33.3')

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is a problem is the Land Rover aftermarket world that nobody sells full suspension kits that address all issues and give all instructions needed. One of my pet peeves. Most people find out in the bush that their tires rub or their springs pop out or their brake line snap.

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:37 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Very true.. You have do it all... To do it properly

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Getting in with that set up will be trickier. Even at stock height and stock size tires there's a little jump to it but, I'm 5-9".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:35 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
Stock clearance should be fine and sounds like I can run the 285's without any issues.
Using an NAS 90 as a yardstick, 285’s will fit under a stock suspension, however..

You are going to reduce your turning radius with 285’s, as noted, but you will also rub the Front Shock tower, and maybe even the Rear Tub on compression with a 285 tire, unless you go with more backspacing, or run a spacer. It’s a width thing, not a height thing. If you want to avoid this, go 255/85-16. A lift will not change these facts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There is really no need to change anything unless you are offroading to a level that you find the stock clearance is too low. It sounds like that is not the case. Adding any lift will reduce the on road quality. As far as shock choice, it depends what you want from them.
“Adding any lift will reduce the on road quality “ - Agreed

Sounds like this decision is a driven purely by a look you want to achieve, not a need for greater clearance or articulation.. If that is the case, I wouldn’t be afraid of a moderate lift. Maybe 1.5” (2” max). You should be able to achieve this with a number of spring combinations from different manufacturers (depending upon your bumper, winch, etc configuration). I’m partial to OME as they seem to have a proven record of manufacturing quality, but there are definitely other quality options out there..

While on-road handling will be compromised, it shouldn’t be too bad a comprise (make sure you keep your sway bars, or add them if not stock). If you stay with a moderate lift (mostly the springs will be slightly higher spring rate than stock as well)..

As far as shocks go, the new Fox offering from RN with stock mounts is an interesting option. Fox makes good stuff, but I haven’t driven them, so hard to say if the valving is right for you to be happy with them. I Ran a set of 10” travel Fox shocks from a Stage II SG kit on my old Disc (mainly street) and loved them, but don’t recall their valving (truck has been gone for 11+ years now). Again, OME seems to have a good reputation of being a better than stock option, But I’d stay away from Tereflex based on what I’ve heard others say about them (as well as Pro Comp, Rancho, Etc, Etc)..

Don’t Forget, as John (Red90) points out, lifting a truck properly (and safely) needs to be addressed as a system, not just springs and shocks. Proper brake line lengths, lowered bump stops, extended Sway bar links, as well as shock length (and/or mounting), etc, etc.. should be addresses as well, even if many don’t and get away with it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

To lift or not to lift...

I'm probably going to go with spacers to fill out the wheel wells a bit and give it a wider stance.
I thought 265/70's where the same hight as 285/75's? Or will the 265/70's have the same issues?

------ Follow up post added September 7th, 2016 10:54 AM ------

I must have been looking at a different size 265. This shows a 265/70 V's 285/75
Sure does look quite a bit taller.

I must have been thinking of 285/70's.

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:01 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
I'm probably going to go with spacers to fill out the wheel wells a bit and give it a wider stance.
I thought 265/70's where the same hight as 285/75's? Or will the 265/70's have the same issues?
Well, just to make sure the point hasn’t been missed, fitting a 285/75-16 tire to a Defender causes clearance issues primarily because of its WIDTH, not its Height…

Understand how the metric tire sizing works, makes it easy to look at those sizes and see one is significantly taller..

First number (285) is the Section width (not tread width) of the Tire in mm
Second number (75) is the height of the sidewall, expressed as a percentage of the section width
And of course the final number (16) is the wheel Diameter..

So to calculate the height..

285\25.4 = section width in inches (11.22 in)
11.22 x .75 = Sidewall height ( 8.42 in)
(8.42 x 2) + 16 = Overall height, or how tall the tire is (32.83 in)

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Right on, thx!

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I thought 265/70's where the same height as 285/75's?
285 = width in mm
75 = sidewall height is 75% of the width. 0.75 * 285 = 214 mm (8.4 inches).

Height of tire 16" (rim) + 8.4" * 2 = 32.8"

265/70R16 gives 30.6" high.

A 285/75R16 is the largest tire that will fit without requiring trimming. They do actually rub a bit on the flares and will touch the wheel box at full stuff regardless of backspacing, but it does not usually cause trouble and most people do no mods to stop the rubbing.

I still say drive it stock for a bit. That way when you change things you know if you like the change or not. This is important especially if you have no experience driving a Defender.

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:09 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Just remember, there's no substitute for checking the manufacturers website for their tire specs. The tire size is a "nominal" size and there is a fair bit of variance of true size. True size on the rim will also vary slightly depending on rim width.
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Awesome, great info guys. I really appreciate it.
I catch myself getting a little carried away at times on deciding how I want to restore my Rover. It must be that Defender bug that's going around, I just look at it and I pick it up.
It doesn't help that I just got my Defender pörn magazine from Roversnorth...
Thanks again for all the advice.

Old September 7th, 2016, 10:47 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What do you have under the hood? Something anemic like the 12J? Bigger tires result in taller overall driveline gearing and additional rotating mass. Both noticeable and adverse changes when driving.
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Haha, no just a 3.5L V8.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions