Title opinions needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

Title opinions needed

OK so I just bought my first defender, IM not new to the land rover world, but i am new to the D.

I bought this vehicle from a buddy of mine who ENDOed it off a wash a few years ago. He trashed the rear tub, trashed the cage, trashed the fenders. Right now im in the process of removing the rear tub to put on my UK 83 trident green tub. I have the replacement fenders, hood, and good doors that im goign to paint trident green as well. I have most of the cage parts. so it should be back to pretty much normal when im done here in a few weeks..

Currently it has a branded title

SO my question is this, im gonna put a 300 TDI in her, and in utah in a 97 that doesnt fly so well. According to their website I can do a reconstructed vehicle and I can retitle the vehicle to the year of the parts i used to reconstruct it. so once i get the tub on, and the fenders on and painted all trident green like the tub, and leave the cage off for the final pictures for the dmv, it will look older. I have a sale purchase paper saying the tub and fenders (wink) are all off a 83, i should be a ble to make it fly _ MAYBE_

From the utah dmv site*

Reconstructed Vehicles

A "reconstructed vehicle" is a vehicle that is required to be registered in Utah, and has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts, new or used.

The make and year of the vehicle are determined by what the vehicle looks like after reconstruction.

Example: A 1998 Ford pickup body is mounted onto a 1997 Ford pickup frame the vehicle will be a 1998 Ford. The model is reconstructed.

To title and register a reconstructed vehicle the owner must:
  • Complete a Form TC-569A, "Ownership Statement," explaining how essential parts were acquired, how the vehicle was constructed and the completion date.
  • Turn over to the DMV the title(s) to vehicle(s) from which essential parts were used (essential parts include the frame and body). If the title(s) are not available, an "Ownership Statement" must be provided, stating in detail why title(s) cannot be surrendered.
  • Turn over to the DMV the original bills of sale and original receipts for parts used in construction of the vehicle. The owner may retain copies of the receipts for his or her records.
  • Complete a Form TC-162, "Application for Utah Motor Vehicle Identification Number" and a Form TC-656 "Application For Utah Title".
  • Provide the DMV with a picture of the vehicle or bring the vehicle to a motor vehicle office for a visual inspection.
  • Obtain a safety inspection and emissions inspection, if applicable. Vehicles with 1967 or older engines do not require an emissions test. In counties that require emissions testing, the owner must obtain a waiver from the local county emission office.
If all requirements are met, the vehicle owner will receive a Utah Official ID number for the vehicle. The owner will be instructed as to how to affix the assigned ID number to the reconstructed vehicle. After installation, the VIN must be inspected by a police officer, a DMV-CSR or certified safety inspector. This may require more than one visit.

In addition to the above procedures, all other title and registration requirements must be met, including payment of fees and sales tax. Sales tax is due on the amount paid for all parts, except for parts on which sales tax has already been paid.

-------So if i retitle it as a 83 I can get away with putting a 300 tdi in it with no issues at all. BUT do I lose some resale because it a 97 titled as a 83?

OR its already a branded title so does it even matter if i change the year?

THoughts!

THanks

Lane

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Not only will it destroy the resell value it will stop people from buying it as they will assume that it is stolen or something is fishy.

If I were looking to buy a 90 and the person told me that I would be like sure, whatever you say and walk away, it is no diffrent than people that vin swap with a newer defender and will have the same legal issues.

A few ideas

Maybe you could title it in another state such as Colorado?

If the title already said diesel could you then register it in UT?

You could sell the 90 and buy a 90 from the UK with a diesel and have money left over

You could trade for a early 90 with a diesel that is already here in the US
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Not only will it destroy the resell value it will stop people from buying it as they will assume that it is stolen or something is fishy.

If I were looking to buy a 90 and the person told me that I would be like sure, whatever you say and walk away, it is no diffrent than people that vin swap with a newer defender and will have the same legal issues.

A few ideas

Maybe you could title it in another state such as Colorado?

If the title already said diesel could you then register it in UT?

You could sell the 90 and buy a 90 from the UK with a diesel and have money left over

You could trade for a early 90 with a diesel that is already here in the US
Very good point... I would think it was a little fishy too i guess if i were the buyer...

Im gonna call and ask the DMV about if it already says diesel, then can i title it that way..

What are the rules on that in CO? I have lots of friends there that I could have title it, for me, then i can transfer it to ut..

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buyers would probably be ok with it if you had pictures and receipts documenting the build, but a 1997 title, even a rebuilt one, is worth some serious coin unto itself. I would leave the stock motor for now and work on a way around emissions testing.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:30 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Sell the title and the frame and build an 83.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Buyers would probably be ok with it if you had pictures and receipts documenting the build, but a 1997 title, even a rebuilt one, is worth some serious coin unto itself. I would leave the stock motor for now and work on a way around emissions testing.
I always have the option of throwin in my 4.6 i have kicking around too...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Sell the title and the frame and build an 83.
The frame is great, and all the replacment body parts i have are really nice, plus its really low mileage.. Its a great base for what i want to do..

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Lightbulb

Just keep the truck for life and never, never sell her.
Easy.

Congrats!Now we have twin 90s, mine is a 1997 (Tdi) too!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

trade with someone that has a 1984 tdi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions