Tithonus Soft Top with Sides that Roll Up? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2013, 01:45 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Tithonus Soft Top with Sides that Roll Up?

I have continued to do my research on soft tops for the Tithonus. One thing I don't understand is how the sides roll up like this:

I was told by PA Blanchard that sides don't roll up on the Tithonus because there is nothing to hold them up, and because of the way the backfolds around the corner like this:

So are owners modifying their soft tops to allow them to roll up somehow? Hoping to understand this once and for all as this will be one of my first mods. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
All I had to do was zoom into your first picture to see that there are straps on there. As I believe we mentioned in your other thread, if there aren't straps sewn into the soft top, then just have them added - it can't be any harder than installing a MUD UK dash in a Defender. It's all fabric (unlike our NAS Defender tops which have windows) so rolling it up should be way easier...even if there is some fabric overhang in the back.
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
You might try cutting out the sides like I did. You get the same effect but without all the soft top noise plus I think it looks better. I am having a marine canvas guy fab up some isenglas sides that will roll up or I may just get a fume curtain and roll like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	URE 5.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	84779  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You just fold in the tail flaps and roll in up.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

This looks like your rover. So there are holes in the top that allow you to roll it up. No idea why PA Blanchard keeps leading me astray.

They also said all the parts for the soft top conversion are unique to Tithonus but it appears that isn't true. The only unique part is the soft top (tilt, hood, whatever) itself. Right?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Because of demand. They can't get the canvas.

------ Follow up post added November 22nd, 2013 12:59 PM ------

No All of the parts are specific to the Tithonus /Wolf
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I had started a conversation with Chris Laws to get a custom Badger made for my Tithonus truck but I've abandoned the idea because of the current lead time situation with him. Your best bet is to score a Tithonus/Wolf PVC top.

I can't believe anyone would cut a Tithonus hard top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I can't believe anyone would cut a Tithonus hard top.
Says the guy who bought a Badger top with no windows.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Isn't one of the salient points of buying a de militarized truck because you can modify it to your hearts content and not feel like you have modified a rare limited edition ? God knows the UK Military didn't treat them like anything special.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Isn't one of the salient points of buying a de militarized truck because you can modify it to your hearts content and not feel like you have modified a rare limited edition ? God knows the UK Military didn't treat them like anything special.
That's why I've got mine. Every panel is pre-dented, so I don't feel bad about adding my own.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Says the guy who bought a Badger top with no windows.
No windows?

By the way, every Badger top has "windows".

Apologies to SmokedFish for posting photos of his Defender.

/
/
/
/
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Just curious, why can't you belive I would cut my top?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
SIDE windows...good lord

I also can't believe your old truck had a belt rail added that was never painted the body color. Yuck...
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Just curious, why can't you belive I would cut my top?
I'm just amazed that someone would cut up a good hard top when there are soft tops readily available and the fiberglass top is essentially not available, unless you can find one in the UK and figure out how to ship a one-piece top without breaking it. To me, this is the equivalent of hacking up a NAS ST rollcage. It's your truck; do what you want. It just amazes me, that's all.

/
/
/
/
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm just amazed that someone would cut up a good hard top when there are soft tops readily available and the fiberglass top is essentially not available, unless you can find one in the UK and figure out how to ship a one-piece top without breaking it. To me, this is the equivalent of hacking up a NAS ST rollcage. It's your truck; do what you want. It just amazes me, that's all.
I don't own one, but it's not even close to the same as important as the NAS cage in my book. More like, it's like putting a sun roof in a NAS fiberglass top.

Plus, if I wanted a virgin Tithonus hard top, I'd just buy this...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44860
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I am amazed that some people think they and they alone are the arbiter of fashion and good taste when it comes to Land Rovers. Humm, now where to put my "Land Rover Special Vehicles" sticker.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I am amazed that some people think they and they alone are the arbiter of fashion and good taste when it comes to Land Rovers.
Not surprising at all. Note the size of the "Hall of Shame Land Rovers that suck" thread.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
All I had to do was zoom into your first picture to see that there are straps on there. As I believe we mentioned in your other thread, if there aren't straps sewn into the soft top, then just have them added - it can't be any harder than installing a MUD UK dash in a Defender. It's all fabric (unlike our NAS Defender tops which have windows) so rolling it up should be way easier...even if there is some fabric overhang in the back.
The Tithonus roll cage has the same overall dimensions as a Wolf XD except that the roll bars cross behind the cab and also protrude in front of the windshield. On XDs they do not cross because on the WMIK gunship version which is based on Wolf roll cage except with added roof ring you need clear access to the cab. Neither of which matters to the selection of the XD top for Tithonus. They sell them on ebay UK all the time in the summer months, but do not buy an ordinary GS one or a WMIK as I don't think they will fit properly. I know all this because I have done the conversion from "gel top" to soft top with an XD top on my truck.

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser61 View Post
The Tithonus roll cage has the same overall dimensions as a Wolf XD except that the roll bars cross behind the cab and also protrude in front of the windshield. On XDs they do not cross because on the WMIK gunship version which is based on Wolf roll cage except with added roof ring you need clear access to the cab. Neither of which matters to the selection of the XD top for Tithonus. They sell them on ebay UK all the time in the summer months, but do not buy an ordinary GS one or a WMIK as I don't think they will fit properly. I know all this because I have done the conversion from "gel top" to soft top with an XD top on my truck.
Great info. Yup, Ken Jagolta had told him a few times in his other thread that these used the Wolf cage, so the top from each should work.

I had figured spammer must have already reached out to you previously during all of his research into this; if I Google "Tithonus soft top" this

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38180

is the very first result...plus your avatar shows your sides rolled up.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I know of a couple T hardtops/cages in Az, but they be gone by now- PM for info. Bear in mind it is a military contractor, and they won't ship or screw around, so make your intentions serious please...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sides, soft top, tithonus, top