Tithonus Green Color Code? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2014, 02:47 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Tithonus Green Color Code?

Anyone here get a relatively close color match on the Tithonus trucks? I'd like to paint my tailgate when it gets here this week, and I'd like to get a close match if possible to the stock NATO green.

Has anyone tracked down a close color match? Any advice when painting the tailgate?

Also, my Tithonus has some sand color under its green skin. I'm guessing this vehicle was in the desert. Anyone else have the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 06:12 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Seriously, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 12:00 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Hi Dave.

Joshua. Believe me I have searched. I did find a thread from earlier this year that talked about NATO paint.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8047

However, the only Tithonus owners that commented on that thread said:

"I've had little luck finding a paint shop here that can match the green on my ex-MOD. The paint is easily available in the UK but none of my importer friends want to touch it (hazmat). Perhaps we could organize a group buy to bring a pallet of it over."

"I would be interested as well." and "I would be interested in some paint also."

Followed by:

"I can't get paint"

I did see one pic of a Tithonus tailgate painted, and it didn't match at all. So the question stands, and it hasn't been answered before (to my knowledge). Anyone here get a relatively close color match on the Tithonus trucks? Before I go out and start buying every version of NATO green, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sam if you are patient I will be painting my truck later this year. I will get on the match as soon as possible. You are also able to get the rattle cans in the US. It's a pretty good match.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Seems like the best place to have posed this question may have been in that other thread instead of spreading the info across multiple ones, right? That's the point. By spreading the info across a ton of different threads, it will make it that much more difficult for the next person to find the correct information.
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:31 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Private Sandford Wallace here is starting to get on my nerves but I feel for him because he's new and ignorant so I want to help him.

The correct paint for your truck is NATO Green, simple as that. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good source for this paint here in the US. It's available easily in the UK, including hundreds of sellers on eBay UK. It's just not easy to ship over because it is hazmat.

I took my truck down to a good PPG dealer here in Tacoma and had him do the laser color match computer on it. Here is what he came up with:

I haven't ordered any yet, so I don't know how accurate it will be. He did, however, take his measurements at many different spots on the truck and this is the average for my 87 Tithonus. My paint is in good shape so this should be pretty close. What I don't know is how the PPG will match up with the (presumably CARC) NATO paint in texture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Also, here's an idea: start a build thread if you haven't already and post your questions up there if you can't find the answers with the site search and Google. People will still help you but we won't end up with dozens of threads that go nowhere, like Josh said.

/
/
/
/
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

One habit both the British Military and US military share is changing the tint/appearance of their olive matt green.

Which makes finding a definitive colo(u)r very very difficult.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:27 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Private Sandford Wallace here is starting to get on my nerves but I feel for him because he's new and ignorant so I want to help him.

The correct paint for your truck is NATO Green, simple as that. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good source for this paint here in the US. It's available easily in the UK, including hundreds of sellers on eBay UK. It's just not easy to ship over because it is hazmat.

I took my truck down to a good PPG dealer here in Tacoma and had him do the laser color match computer on it. Here is what he came up with:

I haven't ordered any yet, so I don't know how accurate it will be. He did, however, take his measurements at many different spots on the truck and this is the average for my 87 Tithonus. My paint is in good shape so this should be pretty close. What I don't know is how the PPG will match up with the (presumably CARC) NATO paint in texture.
This is some good info. Thank you. Let me know when you test out the laser matched paint.

Also, I have heard some people say NATO and some people say Olive Drab (I believe my guy at Withams said this). Are we sure it is NATO and not Olive Drab for a Tithonus?

I have a UK forwarding address, so I may try to get some that way. I'm guessing it won't make it here though.
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Also found this link from Dupont historic

Top left swatch

http://pc.dupont.com/hcl/data/Data/F...ver/008557.jpg

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:37 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Also found this link from Dupont historic

Top left swatch

http://pc.dupont.com/hcl/data/Data/F...ver/008557.jpg
Interesting. So maybe it is the olive drab color and not the NATO?
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Your truck is NATO green - not olive drab.
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Once again USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION Spammer.
There is a thread that gives the name of a company that you can buy the paint you are looking for, custom blended and put into spray cans.
Search and ye shall find.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:46 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Your truck is NATO green - not olive drab.
Hi Dave.

Thanks Raub for the clarification. The exact wording from my Withams salesman is "Olive Green Paint in a Matt Satin Finish". Notice how they covered all basis by saying matt and satin.

I'm thinking you are right Raub. NATO in satin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tithonus