Tithonus 110 Exmod soft-top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Tithonus 110 Exmod soft-top

Hey Folks,
Has anyone ever seen a Tithonus 110 with the godawful oversized hard top removed and a soft top installed? I'm in the market for an exmod 110 and the tithonus is a great candidate if only for the nice roll cage... If anyone has any experience with this process, photos of results or any other advice I'm all ears!

Thanks - Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
My recommendation is keep the oversized hard top or get a GS 110 soft top ready to go. GS should have a roll bar. You could easily buy new seats and the exmoor matting system and have what you want. The Tithonus roll cage goes up higher than a normal hoop set I'm pretty sure since it goes to the roof line of that oversized top. They do make soft top Tithonus, though. But the roof is higher than normal.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:42 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
My recommendation is keep the oversized hard top or get a GS 110 soft top ready to go. GS should have a roll bar. You could easily buy new seats and the exmoor matting system and have what you want. The Tithonus roll cage goes up higher than a normal hoop set I'm pretty sure since it goes to the roof line of that oversized top. They do make soft top Tithonus, though. But the roof is higher than normal.
Good advice - thanks! My only concern with the GS roll bar is the lack of a 'windshield bar' (for lack of the proper term). The roll bar on the Tithonus and NAS Defenders that comes across the top of the doors and down the sides of the windshield. I'll look into the soft top Tithonus too - calling Witham on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2012, 05:31 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

You can get the tithonous "canvas" (although it's plastic) easily second hand here. You just remove the fiberglass roof and the soft top fits on. not sure how the tie downs work on them though.

That original roof system was designed for the military "wolf" XD rovers, and made in such a way that changing from a soft top to a hard top (or no top) was easy and quick.

go to Dunsfold land rovers and select "military spares" bottom LH side.... you'll see that they have a pile of ex wolf used roofs for 20 each.
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Another member on here just purchased a Tithonus if you search Tithonus - he was saying he was considering the same conversion - you may reach out to him to see what he has found.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:55 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Smile Tithonus 110 in Texas

I actully have one with 300 Tdi conversion, so if I can help with info, ask away.

I have bought a soft top, door frames, windshield clamp plate, tail gate but need to fit.

Cheers

Fraser
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thithonus

When I got mine they had a lhd soft top for 7000 pounds at Withams. I had the pics if you want them. You might try PA Blanchard for all of the parts needed for the conversion. Let me know if I can help.
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Spotted this on on eBay yesterday. Looks like a pretty nice truck, except for that oversized roof.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221059103103?...84.m1438.l2649

Brett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, mod, tithonus