Tire Ratings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
DR11
Drew R
'94 Defender

Tire Ratings

I'm looking to put new tires on my D-90. The factory tires were a load rating D. The tires I'm looking at come in either a C or an E and are quite a difference in price. I don't do any hard core off road driving but some of the trails do get gnarly in places. Do I need to spend the money on the E or is the C enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy E. They will last longer and are more resistant to puncture.

Ron
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Someone correct me if I am wrong (as this information came from Costco when I had them order my BFG MT), but the ratings also equate to the stiffness of the tires--so the higher the rating, the tougher the tire and hence the stiffer the tire. I am not saying this is a bad thing at all, and I would probably go E over C, except on a daily driver as the C would be more forgiving and quieter. Just good to know if it is indeed true. For an offroad used truck, I would go D or E. My current set of BFG AT's are D I believe (on my disco)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij

C,D,E etc. are load ratings and yes, stiffer as you go up. I run E range on my LWB, my D90 and on my "109"

Ron
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Long story short, if you are using the truck off road, any , go with a good off road tire which most probably will have a higher load rating, than a standard passenger tire. You will get a little rougher ride and maybe decreased mileage but it will hold up off road.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The higher the rating the worse they will be on rocks though and the rougher the road ride will be. I've run both D and E in the past and E were far too stiff/heavy for their size. My new ones are C and quite a bit lighter but I won't have an option on the ride until I finish getting the rest of my parts (stuck with a 3rd party shipper for the last 5 months, finally supposed to arrive in a week and a half).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You are running C load range on an expo type 110?

You would be over the weight limit pretty quick with them.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Will see, one of the first trips will be to the scales with a full fuel tank to see.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires