Tire Pressure? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Tire Pressure?

Just wondering how many guys follow the owners manual and run 28 front/35 rear? I'm talking about driving around town, not off road. Anyone using different inflation pressures?

I bought a set of studded snow tires today and the tire shop guys badly wanted to inflate all four to 32 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Phil View Post
Just wondering how many guys follow the owners manual and run 28 front/35 rear? I'm talking about driving around town, not off road. Anyone using different inflation pressures?

I bought a set of studded snow tires today and the tire shop guys badly wanted to inflate all four to 32 psi.
I think there is a move to standardize around a common pressure for vehicle tire pressures ... Probably makes sense for newer vehicles ... Of which your vehicle is not one.

Question is do you trust the workshop guy or the manufacturer of your vehicle to specify the correct pressure.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:18 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Different types of tires require different pressures. I would start with the recommended pressure then adjust for ride, comfort and handling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Newer AWD cars and trucks generally have the same pressure front and rear. They, LR, most probably have a higher pressure in the rear so that the truck will not under-steer, carry some extra load, and for a better contact patch. If you have a conv. top more to the point since the truck is even more weight bias to the front. Keep in mind that the factory used those pressures on stock size tires. If you have larger tires then you may want to adjust those pressures. with that said I tend to run the same pressure on all four and the truck runs great.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run my Swampers at 40psi all around but keep the BFG AT's at closer to 34psi all around. Only vehicle I have ever noticed a marked difference in when differing the air pressure front/rear was in my F150
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

Same pressure (32-36 psi stock tire) front and rear will allow improved handling, improved mileage, and longer tire life for the highway. The recommended lower front pressure (on the heavy end of the vehicle for crying out loud) compared to the higher pressure in the rear (less weight) assures the vehicle will Understeer, meaning the front of the vehicle slides ever so slightly and the rear stays planted. Oversteer is when the front is stable and the rear slides. Techically Understeer is when the front slide more than the rear and Oversteer is when the rear slides more than the front but lets just keep one end stable and slide the other.) Manufacture's LAWYERS DO NOT LIKE oversteering vehicles and so the placard reads some ultra safe number like 28/35. It is sort of Tire Pressure for Dummys.
Running the same pressures is fine. Check them often as tires leak down and weather changes influence the pressures as well.
One of the cheapest "handling upgrades" available is an air pressure gauge and 5 minutes of your time.
Larger than stock tires need LESS pressure to support the same load. Smaller tires need more pressure.
Jim
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I run BFG AT/KO's 235/85/16. I run them at 38psi all around. Went I bought them at Sam's I didn't check their fill until 1000 miles later, they had them pumped up to 65psi !! Thought they felt a little stiff.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run just about everything at 35psi generally, though lately with larger tires like the 255 KM2s I've been running closer to 38-40psi.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:11 AM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Wanted to bring this thread back up as I just picked up some E-load Duratrac 265/75 R16 tires for the 90. When they were putting them on I asked for 38lbs in the back and 35lbs in the front - the tire dealer said minimum for an E-load was 45lbs. I argued that the manufacturer's recommended pressures for D-load tires was approx 50% of max pressure and we compromised on 40lbs all around, but I know he wanted to put a lot more in.

Didn't ride bad at 40lbs, but I haven't chalk tested yet (little wet around the PNW right now) but I'm thinking I will probably end up around my original ask of 35/38.

I notice on Goodyears inflation charts they start at 35lbs and go up from there, so I'm thinking that 35lbs is what the tire manufacturer considers the minimum, even though land rover calls for 28lbs in the front on a D-load.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire